Maddie's Pride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    The chords are just I IV V. If you copy the abcs and paste them here:

http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

You will get the dots and the chords. If that doesn't work I can make a pdf if you want, just let me know.
  2. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    David, thanks! The converter link worked great, got the notes 'n chords now, thanks again!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very nice and swinging version Hendrik!
  4. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    It's a lovely waltz, David, as good as I've heard. And thanks for the converter. It is a pleasure to listen to everyone's interpretation.
  5. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Hansen, thanks for all your contributions.
    Beginners, this is a beautiful melody that is easy to learn.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Dusty, I particularly like the pump organ, I used to play one of those eons ago and I really miss not having one around. Good clean mando picking as well.
  7. dulcillini
    dulcillini
    Very lovely piece. Thanks so much for sharing it with the mandolin community !! Bravo !
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It's a really beautiful tune David which brings to mind the works of the Scottish accordion players Phil Cunningham and Donald Shaw in the best tradition of Scottish waltzes. I've therefore had a go on piano accordion, on my circa 1960s Hohner accordion and Paul Hathway cedar topped octave mandola tuned ADAE.
    Pictures are of Edinburgh.
    Thanks for the tune.

9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Just as sweet as deep-fried Mars bars, James
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That's some fine playing in the Scottish accordion tradition and nice mandola as well.
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    dustyamps and James, very nice! Very enjoyable to listen to.

Here's my try at this tune. GDAEB fifths-tuned guitar (I'm playing it like I used to play tenor guitar), with MIDI ChordPulse backing track:

(or direct link)

NOTE: My slow cheap computer was misbehaving when I recorded the guitar (melody) part so there is some static, I blame Windows Updates trying to check internet even though the modem was off, but who knows. Anyway, it was recorded with Audacity.

I experimented with some chord ideas, whether right or not is debatable, but I have a new fascination with "sus2" chords and I'm using them in everything lately! My guitar in above video has some open strings ringing when they shouldn't be, I'm kinda suspecting that any dissonance might be due to that, rather than wrong choice of chords, but it could be the latter too. Also, YouTube changed the EQ and made the percussion louder than it is in my original file, if I'd known it was gonna do that I'd have compensated, not gonna redo it right now though.

I will list the chords I used, so if you like them you'll know what they are, or if you dislike 'em you'll know which to avoid.
    Part 1:
    A, E, F#m, D6, AMaj7, E, D, D/A, F#m, E, Asus2, D, A, D, (A . E7), A.
    Part 2:
    D, Dsus2, A, E7, Bm7, D, E7, A, D, Dsus2, A, E, A , D, (A . E), A.

So you can hear what those chords sound like without my guitar, not sure how this attachment-posting thing works but maybe this link will work:

Sample mp3 of BACKING ONLY.

Anyway! I love playing this tune, thanks again David for composing it! I hope I haven't gotten too far off course with my weird chords, I'm like a kid in a candy store with this new chord app, it's the first time I've had a do-able way to try out chords that I didn't even know/remember existed, so I'm makin' up for lost time I guess.

Edited to add:
    I used different "inversions" of some of the chords, by clicking the little arrows in ChordPulse that lets you make inversions either up or down. I don't know if this is 'correct' or not but I thought it sounded better. It does not affect the root/bass notes. The only bass note that got changed was the one slash-chord (D/A). No idea about the proper theory 'n' stuff but it's fun to try.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Sounds great, not to worry about the chords, they all work just fine. I'll have to get out my electric guitar and give it a try, you've inspired me.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    A big thank you to everyone who gave this tune a try, it really means a lot to me. I decided to give it another shot myself, this time on the mandola and in the key of D. When I wrote this I thought it would sound good on the banjo but I didn't have one at the time so this time I'm plucking some chords on the banjo over some bowed bass and concertina.

14. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    David, that is absolutely beautiful! Great sound from banjo too, fits perfectly. I love it!
  15. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really beautiful David. With the tasteful use of the banjo this could be straight out of an episode of the trans atlantic sessions.
  16. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice blend of instruments and excellent recording and mix. Congrats
  17. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    No mandolin but this David Hansen tune is one of my favorites to play on my pump organ.
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one Dusty, I used to play an old pump organ when I was a teenager, your sound reminds me of those days. What's with the lady nonchalantly posed on the tall fence?
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Love this tune, David, and all the versions people have posted. Beautiful. Don't know how I missed it the first time around, but I'm learning it now.
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I'm looking forward to your version, Don, thanks for the positive comments.
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A beautiful melody can just be played simply.

https://youtu.be/LI_Yz_OtNWw
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played Don, I am honored that you gave my tune a shot.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I missed this great tune first time round, David. A belated recording done on mandolin, octave and guitar. Thanks for tune and notation; I had a great time working out an arrangement and ended with octave and mandolin melodies plus two guitar tracks, one with chords played in open position from your notation and the other with a capo at 5th fret and using E, A and B shapes to get a higher register.

24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done John, I like the contrast between the two guitar parts and combining the mandolin & octave for the last time through. I really appreciate the recent interest in this tune.
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Such a nice tune. Thanks David for sharing it.
    Obviously it appeals to so many of us. I had a great time to listen to both of your recordings as well as to the amazing amount of submissions of our fellow SAW members.

Don and John – very smooth. And David (dustyamps) – it also works great on your pump organ. Just to name the last.

For my version I choose the Thuringian Waldzither to accompany the mandolin. Until now I only scratched the surface of possibilities to play this instrument. So I grab for every opportunity to play it. By learning the tune on TWz I discovered that it lays very natural on the fingerboard in the key of D (capo second fret). It raised suspicion in me that there perhaps a Thuringian Waldzither lives in your stock of instruments, David.

I dared to “wright” me a simple harmony voice and hope it doesn’t destroy the melody. All the mistakes go on my account. I know that I can`t record much in the next few weeks. So a have the only choice to post or not to post. Here we go!

26. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Frithjof, I really like your harmony part and the Waldzither sounds great, I don't have a Waldzither but I do have a cittern which is kind of like a Waldzither on steroids. Nice arrangement to boot.
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Forgot to say how much I enjoyed the offerings from James, dustyamps, Don and Frithjof. A mark of a good composition when it can successfully carry different interpretations and instrumentation.
  28. brenstaf
    brenstaf
    This is so beautiful, I love it and would enjoy learning it. I play by tab, is it possible that someone has a copy of the tab. I hope I am not out of line for asking. Thank you!
  29. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Frithjof, that Waltzither sure has a beautiful sound. Well done.

John, lovely rendition. And I agree that this fine melody works nicely in a variety of approaches.
  30. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    For tab copy the abc notation at the beginning of the thread and paste it into the box at mandolintab.net, select the key and hit submit.
  31. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's my submission - this was one of the first tunes I learned as a minnow when I started lurking on the Cafe several years ago. I've been wanting to post a version for quite a while - now that I'm a flounder, hopefully I've done it some justice. Mandola & GDAD tenor guitar. Thanks for the tune, David.

32. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was very nice BBC... your timing is a bit different, which makes it more special to me. Well done!
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version and delivery, Bruce. Got your first name from your Soundcloud profile, so not actually stalking you, you'll be glad to hear.
  34. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks gents. Yes, the arrangement and timing are a bit different, but I decided to run with it as-is.

John, it's an honor to be not-stalked by you
  35. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I came to revisit this wonderful tune in anticipation of it winning week #494. These are all nice performances of David's beautiful waltz.
  36. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    JL - The chords are in there they appear in quotes and look like this "D" for a D chord. I could convert the abc to a PDF file but I don't know how to post that here so you would have to give me an email to send it to.
  37. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Robert Balch wrote: "JL - The chords are in there they appear in quotes..."

Yeah I finally realized there were chords included, in my 12-15-2015 post. I went ahead with the strange chords anyway because I liked the sound of 'em.

But thanks for mentioning about the quotation marks in the abc notation, because that means one can see a tune's chords without even having to use the abc converter. Good to know!
  38. crisscross
    crisscross
    Just discovered Michael Pastucha's version on SAW#494 and that brought me here. Great tune, nice renditions!
    I'd also like to play it, is there sheet music with chords anywhere?
  39. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Just copy and paste the abc's from the top of this thread into http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php and you'll get sheet music with chords.
  40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You probably didn’t see the first page of this thread. David kindly provided abc with chords.
    So you also missed some other nice renditions.
  41. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks David and Frithjof! I have to admit, I have no experience with abc notation and didn't know that it's convertible to standard notation. But, I used the abc converter and downloaded a nice sheet music PDF. This is going to be my next waltz...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12