The Squirrel Hunters

1. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    If I read correctly, we can post our version of not only the song of the week, but also any song that we are currently working on right? If not just delete this thread. I have just started playing mandolin again after a 7 year hiatus and thought I'd post my vids for others to hear. Felt like this was the place to do it so I joined the group. I welcome and any and all comments.
    This is the version of "The Squirrel Hunters" that I think was common with John Hartford's band. I'm playing it about as briskly I can at the moment while keeping it clean ( which is not very fast ) but I think it sounds ok.
  2. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    love it!

f-d
  3. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Thanks Fatt-dad!
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, Eric, that sounds great. I really like your picking style. Hope you post a bunch more tunes around here. Would you believe Squirrel Hunters was actually a tune of the week here way back on week six? There are some other fun versions there too if you want to check them out. Here's the link.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...scussionid=372
  5. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Awesome thanks for the link...I'd like to check those links out. It's true I've already heard two or three different versions but when I heard the "Traveling McCoury's" play this version...I was sold, only to find out it was Hartford's. I also just recently completed the fiddle tune "Liberty" should I post a new thread or just post the video here?
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Liberty happened to be Week #10. You can post it in that thread and then whenever someone wants to learn that song, they'll have all the versions in one place to look through. If you ever want to know what songs have been done, There are two Table of Contents threads to check--one for the official tune of the week and one for other tunes that people post. Barbara does a good job at bumping these up near the top of the list. I'm looking forward to more of your fiddle tunes.
  7. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Thanks Marcelyn! I just found the old Liberty thread and posted my video there...
  8. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Powerful stuff Eric!! Welcome to the group! I really like the triplets your throwing in. I have been working on this song recently and I will be gleaning some from your post. I also have been noodling around with the 'Big Sciota" in G & 'Cherokee Shuffle' in A. Keep the post coming and we will watch them!
  9. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Thanks Sasquatch and thanks for the warm welcome....not sure what my next fiddle tune will be? I have a tab for "Stoney Point" that looks kinda cool...but I wanna learn stuff that's commonly played and known first. BigSciota is a good one, do you have a link to a good mandolin tab for that fiddle tune?
    Yeah I'm trying to create alot more "fill" in my style with triplets and also cross picking between strings here and there on a few licks so it doesn't sound too bare. As I get more comfortable with the tune, I'll re record it and add subtleties and different little embellishments here and there without sacrificing the melody.
    So everytime I'm recording a new fiddle tune it should have it's own thread?
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eric, welcome to the group! Yes, it's much easier for others to learn all they can about a tune, if as many of the videos of a particular tune, are in the same discussion. So, if you are going to submit a video, it helps if you search through the videos already submitted, and see if that tune already has a discussion, and then submit your video in that discussion. However, it's not unusual for there to be multiple discussions for the same tune, and when that does happen, I do try to link them together somewhere in the replies, so people can see all the videos of the same tune.

Probably the easiest way to search, is to go to the top right hand side of this webpage, where it says 'advanced search' and click there. It will open up a window where you can type in the name of the tune, and choose 'group messages'... (or all to see what's happened with that tune on the whole mandolin cafe site!)..... it should bring up any time that tune has been discussed... for example, I did that and typed in Squirrel Hunters, and chose 'group messages'... and it came up with this discussion, and others (seemingly unrelated!) and also found where Squirrel Hunters was tune of the week for week #6.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  12. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Awesome thanks....at lunch time I'm going to go and check that thread out! From now on I'll check the archives first before creating a new thread.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well played Eric. You inspired me to do an update on this tune:

14. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Old Sausage, mighty powerful stuff!!! I have been trying to work out some improv on the tops for this great tune. This video helps a lot.
  15. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Old Sausage thanks for the comment! Awesome sound, very clean and I love that full kinda throaty tone your mandolin has.... I especially liked it when you played the melody an octave lower...very cool little transition...

You know I heard others talking about this: Squirrel huntin is a big deal in Kentucky where my family is from...it's typical the first type of hunting you do when you're learning to shoot....my family in Kentucky not only squirrel but also coon hunted...and especially fox hunted....all using dogs....it's an old tradition. My mom says she remembers my grandfather eating fried squirrel and gravy with biscuits,
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great David! I learned this tune the last time it resurfaced and really like your old version too.
    Eric, my dad and brother have been known to fry up the little guys on occasion.
  17. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great job both of you.
    David the sound coming from your mandolin just seems to be getting better and better. Throaty is not a bad description.
    If anyone would like to go squirrel hunting in my garden there is an open invitation. Many of you have probably heard that the imported aggressive North American grey squirrel has chased our fluffy indigenous timid red squirrel to the far reaches of the north so the red is now only found in Scotland and in controlled reserves in the north of England. If you see a grey in a controlled area you are encouraged to contact the authorities who will euphemistically "take the necessary action". I have only seen a red squirrel once in my life and most people I know have never seen one. Greys are everywhere.
    Aggressive North American, timid Brit, sounds familiar!
  18. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Thanks James...actually I learned the tune just because their are squirrel hunters in my family and I hope to be able to play this one for them some day
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks guys. I tell you what, my house is surrounded by squirrels, they are basically rats with fluffy tails, I've seen what they eat. I wouldn't eat one unless you paid me cash, five figures.
  20. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    There are no squirrells here in Argentina....save a few roof rats and bats. However, in one city here in Buenos Aires Province, I think it's the city of "Pilar" anyways, someone smuggled in some squirrels from Europe or North America...and now the dern critters have overun the place, they are everywhere and even chewing on everything including power lines and the like....
    Oh...but in the mountain range outside of our city they have large Iguanas or Komodo dragons...they are huge suckers.

Kentucky however is full of squirrels, my uncle up there used to go to "Land-Between-The-Lakes" quite a bit to do some squirrel hunting up there...