Eighth of January

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, there couldn't be a better time to post this old time tune.

2. Eddie Sheehy
    "We fired once more and the British started runnin'
    Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico".

I love it David.

Here's a link to the ABC at the Session:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1306
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    Oooh, I love this tune!!! Will dig up this thread in 3 months or so.... Nice picking David.
  4. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    That´s beautiful OldSausage, and it´s indeed the right day. You´ve played a nicely relaxed version.
    This is a good opportunity to post our less relaxed version. Gets even more hectic in the middle. I guess this was because of the people watching us.

5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice job, and good variations too. That's better than all the versions I found on YouTube yesterday when I was researching the tune.
  6. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Oh thanks OldSausage, I´m glad to hear this.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, indeed, that was great..... ya'll made it sound pretty IRISH!
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's an interesting page about 8th of January and the Battle of New Orleans. I guess this was a fiddle tune long before Jimmy Driftwood's words were added. They have some completely different words linked to from that page too. It seems like maybe there's more than one tune.
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice, Michael, that's the version is the one I play, and that I learned from Bert Casey's mandolin tutor when I started on the mandolin. It sounds quite oldtimey (apart from the bodhrán) but goes well with that other tune, whatever it is, I know I've played it but don't remember the name of it.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great job OS, you always get such a lovely tone in your playing.

Nice one Michael! Definitely has an old-timey/irish feel to it, you should be on the Transatlantic Sessions!
  11. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for the birthday serenades, Michael and David.
  12. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Happy birthday, Manfred. On this day in 1815, the Battle of New Orleans was won by General Jackson when the British surrendered, the last major battle of the War of 1812, an unnecessary fight since the Treaty of Ghent had already been signed. Jimmy Driftwood immortalized the battle in his song, the Battle of New Orleans, set to the tune the Eighth of January. That song became a big hit as sung by Johnny Horton in the late 1950s. There's no mandolin content in these facts, but I find them noteworthy nevertheless

Tom

I should have looked first at OS's remarks as he already addressed these facts.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Happy Birthday, Manfred!
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks for your comment Jill, I fret over my tone a lot so it's very reassuring.

I should have mentioned that I learned this from listening to the Rhonda Vincent CD "Destination Life", where they play this tune in A, which is why I'm doing it in that key, but I think most people play it in D.
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    As bad as it is I just had to try it... I can only improve...

16. Susanne
    Susanne
    Your mandolin looks very nice Eddie! You've probably talked about it before, but what is it?
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    It's another Brian Dean - #49, I also have #27. This one has an extra-deep body and a slightly smaller soundhole compared to the #27. I prefer the #27 for jazz - the neck joins the body at the 16th fret and I have flatwounds on it.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I love it, it sounds great!
  19. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Here´s our "Workhorse-Version" of this tune.

20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Happy birthday, Manfred. And since this tune is a favorite, , I'll have no trouble remembering the day to say, "Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!" for many years to come.
    Sounds really great David, Michael, and Eddie. You all each have a fun take on this one.