Week #62 ~ Rickett's Hornpipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I know I said I'd try to wait till noon to announce, but I realized I've got to leave! We have had a couple of people vote to break the tie and then some, so I'm going to announce the winner now.

This week's winner is Rickett's Hornpipe, which was submitted as Old-Time, and New England.

Here's the abc from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Rickett's
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Dmaj
    (3ABc|dcdA FAdf|edcB A2fg|afaf bagf|edcB A2fe|
    dcdA FAdf|edcB A2fg|afdf (3gag ec|d2f2d2:|
    fg|afaf dfaf|bgbg efge|afaf bagf| (3efe (3dcB A2fe|
    dcdA FAdf|edcB A2fg|afdf (3gag ec|d2f2d2:|

Here is standard notation from Wild Dismay Tunes.

Here's a page with standard notation and abc from abcnotation tune search

Here is some TAB on mandolin cafe's TAB page

Here is a link to TEF file on www.mandozine.com

I haven't looked to see if these ABC's & notations are the same or not....

I found this about Rickett's Hornpipe... on this site http://www.archive.org/details/TomEn...rrollsHornpipe This site has an archived audio of this tune (in a medley) of a Tom Ennis from 1929 (if I'm reading it right!) Take a listen~

"Rickett was a circus performer of the early 19th century. The hornpipe named after him was also recorded on a 78 by Boston based Dan Sullivan's Shamrock Band, and is a common tune in American Old Time fiddling."

Here it is, the middle (almost) of summer, and I know everyone is busy! I haven't posted a video in a couple of months... shame on me! But, the good thing is that we can always come back to the tunes we missed when they first come around, and do it then!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love it David. It sounds really nice on that particular mandolin too.

I haven't heard this one before, but it was a great choice. Every part of me except my left pinkey is really enjoying this tune.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  4. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Very nice David as always, I found it particularly tough! I got frustrated this morning, had to put the mando down, went out with my camera, ended up at the Albert Hall and bought tickets for Jeff Beck. Wasn't expecting to do that!!!!! Anyway I got through it just and it's the Paul Shippey Cherry Model, D'Addario FT74 strings, and a Wegen TF120 pick for those interested.....

5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice and clean picking, Tosh
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Many thanks Manfred, just like to wish everyone that side of the pond happy Indenpendence Day!
  7. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    This looks like fun, so I thought I'd throw my 2 Cents worth into this group.

I know the title post calls this an Old Time or New England tune, so I hope you'll forgive my Old World slant on it ..... after all, I do believe it did start out from over here!

Anyway, here it is.
    Cheers
    Dick

8. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    That was great. I liked it alot, Ptarmi.
  9. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Yes David, very interesting alright to hear them both playing the same tune, but I'm sure it'll be even more fun & much more revealing, when we finally get an opportunity to meet up & swop tunes ... in person.

I must check back & play & post a few more, that you have used your Sobell on.

I'm also looking forward to learning a few new to me, Old Time tunes here.

Cheers
    Dick
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, really nice sound and playing with these Sobells, David and Ptarmi.

I 'clocked' your speeds and have tried to come up with approximately the same tempo. My 'metronome' is Band-in-a-Box.

11. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Gee all these beautiful smooth sounding Sobell's and Shippey's is enough to give a person Mandolin acquisition syndrome.

Good on you Manfred for making it sound just as clean on an F.

Here is my take on giving it an Old Time feel - I think I nailed the rustic-ness not sure about the rest

12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent Harry, that's the kind of feel for this song I hear from the old time fiddlers.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Harry Who Haa...... Very nice, and a completely different version from any I've heard..... welcome to the group!
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This version tends more toward old time. And since I'll be old by the time I record one without flubs, here's the final take on my 1914 Gibson A.

Congratulations to all above who managed to pick this so cleanly. Is it just me, or does this tune sound deceptively easy before you start to play?

15. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    I love the look & sound of that great wee Gibson!
  16. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Wow, this is hard! I'll probably have the song down in a few weeks. I'm new at this. Watching how everyone plays is very encouraging. One thing I notice is that I'm not using my pinkie on the E string high notes, but sliding my hand up. Perhaps I should rethink that.
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yeah, the song would be pretty easy if it weren't for all those darn high notes on the E string. I think you'll be happy in the long run though if you take the opportunity to really work out your pinkey muscles. Up to speed, it would be pretty near impossible to move your whole hand.

This week's practice was fairly frustrating, but on the bright side, I'm thinking I'll keep working on the song because the technique carries over to a lot of other tunes. In most songs, you can get away with one less than perfect reach or two, but this tune really showcases whether you've been slouching on your pinkey aerobics.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions everyone! Well done!
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's a tricky little tune alright. You can save some pinky agony by playing it in the lower register, although that has its awkward corners too.

20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great versions by everyone, I think Marcelyn is right in that it is a great tune to keep in your repotoire in order to strengthen the dreaded pinky. And that's interesting what OS did by playing it lower down. Can anyone do a mandola version?
  21. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Marcelyn, like your OT version a good mix of clean picking and double stops

OS, smooth as always and some great variations. I may be over-analysing your vid but is your thumb coming over to dampen the lower strings at times?
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good playing by all here, and the flubs all seem intentional part of OT playing

Marcelyn, it is most interesting to watch your eye movements while you play - what are you looking at?
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Harry, no that's just my thumb becoming more inefficient as I tense up.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Bertram, you're the analitical type aren't you? If you persist in nitpicking my pained expressions and looks of concentration, you're going to see a lot more overlays of sheep grazing in Irish pastures lol.

P.S. I notice someone is asking OS about his technique and fancy finger work. Why don't you ever ply me with questions about that, hmm?
  25. David Miller
    David Miller
    Here is my contribution to the week's song. I admit I got a bit crazy with the arranging, but it has been over 100 degrees here 3 days straight (in Connecticut!) and I think the heat is starting to get to me! I started by recording the 'zouk track (Trinity College), then added the fiddle, mandolin (Collings) and guit-olin (my Seagull guitar, restrung and tuned in fifths - CGDAEE). This is my first official song-of-the-week contribution (on time, at least), and I am having a blast already! It is great to hear so many talented and diverse players working on the same material.

26. Eddie Sheehy
    My attempt on an Eastman 815 MDA Mandola - CCGGDDAA - in D (C capo'd 2) pinkieless...

27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was a great rendition... looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you!

Eddie, that was very good.... the camera angle makes that chair look like it's made for a giant!
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bertram, you're the analitical type aren't you?

Sorry, that's me...
    Some background information: Barry Green claims in his Book The Inner Game of Music that concentration is an act of relaxation. The occurrence of rapid eye movements (REM, normally observed in some phases of sleep when we dream) would support this. Any reports of dreams encountered during playing would be the second most sensational scientific fact I can imagine (behind out-of-body experiences during playing).

P.S. I notice someone is asking OS about his technique and fancy finger work. Why don't you ever ply me with questions about that, hmm?

Because your fingering is already perfect - should anybody here ask questions about improving his fingering, I'll redirect him to you. But it leaves nothing for me to nitpick about...
  29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, that was very good.... the camera angle makes that chair look like it's made for a giant!

Second both Barb - the camera angle thing is one of the tricks they did in LOTR to make hobbits look small.
  30. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Here's my version of Rickett's Hornpipe. Tom

31. peterangell
    peterangell
    Hi - this is one of the first tunes I learnt - hope OK....
  32. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Sigh.......... only if time was on my side. I would learn them all. Alexander's goes great with this tune. I usually play it with another set of tunes though.
  33. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've finally got around to playing this official SAW from a long time ago -- I'm currently trying out playing tunes with dance band arrangements and at dancing speeds, so after yesterday's take on a jig (The Lilting Banshee), here is a hornpipe.

Arrangement for contra bance band is by our own Evelyn (harper), and I've played it on two mandolins, octave mandolin, tenor guitar and mandocello (playing a walking bass line). As the tune was collected as an old-time tune for the Library of Congress from fiddler Lon Jordan in Farmington, Arkansas, I've used images of the Ozarks for my video.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin