Sedi Donka

1. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I've been wanting to learn this tune for a long time, and I'm happy to say I finally got it! This is, of course, based on the Thile/Marshall version that I'm sure everyone has seen by now. I've got the .pdf files of the music that I learned from, if anybody else wants to give this a shot.

2. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Whoa, Ken!! I love those songs that are in 25/16...especially these "easy-to-dance" Bulgarian dance tunes. Two bars of 7 one bar of 11.........

Didn't know there was anybody else on the planet besides The Bulgarians and Thile and Marshall that could play this tune!!!
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice indeed Ken.
  4. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    The trick is not to think about the rhythm at all. If you even try to count you'll never get through it. I just listened to the Thile/Marshall version enough that I internalized the rhythm before I even tried to play it. Then you just have to concentrate on the notes, which aren't actually that hard, and getting the pick direction right, which was only a problem for me in the D part where it's straight 16ths for a while with no chance to reset.
  5. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    just in case people haven't seen the Thile/Marshall version.

6. Eddie Sheehy
    I've got the chikka-chikka bit, but I can't seem to make the individual notes sound out...
  7. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Eddie: Check out the notation here. Note that it's written in C, but I'm playing it in F, because that's how Thile and Marshall do it. It's the same fingerings, just a string down. Good luck!
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks Ken. I'll give it a shot. BTW, here's one I'm trying to work up the courage to attempt...

9. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Great stuff Ken.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This stuff is way beyond my feel for rhythm. It even took me a while to figure what these people do (it's 9/4, count 1-2-3-4-1-2-1-2-3).

But at least there's folks with stronger handicaps than me - once I sat in a street in Ballyshannon, playing jigs with a bodhran player who could only play 4/4.
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    ...and his 4/4 got faster... and faster.... and faster....
  12. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 1
    T: Sedi Donka
    R: SQQ.SQQ.QQSQQ
    O: Bulgaria
    B:
    D:
    Z: John Chambers <jc@eddie.mit.edu> http://eddie.mit.edu/~jc/music/
    M: 7.7.11/16
    L: 1/16
    P: ABABCDCD...