The Butterfly - Slip Jig

1. Eddie Sheehy
    I love this tune.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, I love that tune too! I'll try to record some video's today, as it's raining outside now! Which mando are you playing on that one?
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    10-string Vega 305 - circa 1918.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's mine on my Collings MT2 O

5. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice Barbara!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 2
    T:Butterfly
    R:slip jig
    C:Tommy Potts
    D:Bothy Band: 1974.
    Z:id:hn-slipjig-3
    M:9/8
    L:1/8
    K:Edor
    |:B2E G2E F3|B2E G2E FED|B2E G2E FGA|B2d d2B AFA:|
    |:B2d e2f g3|B2d g2e dBA|B2d e2f g2a|b2a g2e dBA:|
    |:B3 B2A G2A|B3 BAB dBA|B3 B2A G2A|B2d g2e dBA:|
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Tenor banjo followed by my bowlback mando, back up by my ukulele

This is my first slip jig ever, so show some indulgence.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    No indulgence needed! You play it beautifully. The back-up is very nice too.

This is one of my favourites too. Coleraine, Road to Lisdoonvarna, The Butterfly - that's become my default set at the local session.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Criss, comes with all a slip jig needs, but why the sudden end?
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bertram wrote: "... why the sudden end?"

I like it, I've heard that type of ending before on other tunes over the years (can't remember what genre of music), I'm assuming it was intentional? I think it's kinda neat.
  12. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Gelsenbury, Bertram and JL277z!
    The sudden end was a result of a counting mistake when I laid down the rhythm track with my ukulele. The chords for the B part and the C part are the same, so I lost track and ended it one round to soon.
    I re-recorded the whole tune a tad faster and with all parts equally present.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Recorded this on the banjo since the Banjo Hangout Irish tenor subforum is doing a "Tune of the Month" and this is the first one they chose:

14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version Criss, and Jill, great to hear the tenor again!
  15. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    We are all outing ourselves as Banjo Hangouters.
    Great rhythm Jill. It almost sounds like you are playing triplets but unless I'm mistaken these are runs of 1/8 notes with interspersed 1/4 notes?

Here was my submission, pictures are of China

16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there James! Your banjo sounds great - which one are you using?
  17. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It's my back-up Jill -a hybrid of a 17 fret Deering Goodtime neck with a no-name Chinese pot with a rolled brass tone ring - I took the best bits of two banjos to make one (the Deering pot was a bit quiet for the weekly session - I know a banjo too quiet!). I tightened a nut on my Capek and threaded a nut so it's out of action at the moment.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Relaxed rendition and it certainly suits the tune, James.
  19. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, had to do another version of this on the Ajr - it just rings like a bell since coming back from the luthiers.

20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the kind words David, and lovely playing on your part as always sir - is that a Deering Sierra?
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    It's a Deering Boston, 17 fret 21" scale.
  22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, how do you like it? I'm in the market for another tenor banjo meself...
  23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    It plays well and has good tone but the metal pot is heavy and the sound can be a bit piercing if overdriven. I'm thinking of trying a fiberskyn head and nylon strings for a different sound.
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Good to know. I've seen a few Sierra's at decent prices used, but also did the math and conversion rate on getting a Clareen tenor from my old pal Tom Cussen back home and it doesn't work out too bad at all for a new banjo.
  25. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is THE tune that I could never play without tripping up, still can’t... but there you!

26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I don't know why I never posted this - old recording, you can tell by my looks...
  27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great tune, and two great videos! This has been a favourite of mine for a long time.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m amazed that you can get all those chords!
  29. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Both so good...Bertram you don't look any different - just blurrier.
  30. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds great. Obviously both of you had a great time playing this together.
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice. They always look like they are having so much fun !
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Strong and resilient, a butterfly that makes it to hell and back.
    And there's a guitar player who can put a smile on your face, all without surgery
  34. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really good music. What a sound from that mandolin and guitar duo!
  35. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Playing The Butterfly in a virtual session with around 30 musicians, in the #IsolationPubSession organised by John Spiers:

If you don't know these yet, check them out! John, known for his work with Bellowhead, Gigspanner Big Band, Spiers & Boden, etc., has been keeping the music going during lockdown by doing these virtual sessions. He posts a set of usually 3 tunes on Sundays, and people send him videos of themselves playing along to one or several of those. By Wednesday evening, he then produces a video collage containing those contributions. It's great fun!
  36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great, Dennis. Obviously you all had a lot of fun doing this virtual session.
    At 4:55 you popped up next to Squezzy John. Unfortunately all these strings and some other musicians played too noisy. I couldn’t recognize your (not at all any) mandolin in the mix. But that’s not your fault!
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is fun to watch the IsolationPubSessions of John Spiers.
  37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for that Dennis, I especially liked the exotic instruments, e.g. the bass clarinet.
    I dimly remembered an older example of such a collaboration and found it (2009! apparently, cameras have improved since back then)

38. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Bertram, I like the editing there and the way each instrument gets a place in the vid.