Pennknivsmördaren

1. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Also known as "Penknife Killer". It's a traditional Swedish tune that I learned from Vasen. It's featured on the recent CD with Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, and Vasen.

Standard notation for those who want to learn: http://www.nyckelharpa.org/pdfs/pennkniv.pdf

2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    As cool as that tune sounds on mando I bet it sounds great played on a Hardanger fiddle with all its sympathetic strings.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Ken, that was fantastic. I love Vasen and that tune is great.
  4. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Joe, it really should be played on a nyckelharpa (Swedish fiddle, kind of), but I wouldn't have the first clue what to do with one, even I could even find one to play!
  5. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    That's quite an instrument. I bet it would sound good played on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyckelharpa
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, Ken, and what a cool tune and tune title.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ken, I guess that is the best adaptation one can get without actually having a nyckelharpa, I especially liked the chording near the end.

I found this video where a Scottish and a Swedish band play Pennknivsmördaren before and after a Scottish song - I think the guy in a white shirt on the right is playing a nyckelharpa, but it is not easy to see.

At one of our sessions, a woman sometimes brings a nyckelharpa (aka keyed fiddle) - a wonderful instrument with a cathedral-like reverb (it has many resonance strings), a string orchestra in a nutshell.

Bertram
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, I'm working on this tune, using the notation that you linked to. I'm sure I don't have it anywhere close to how it's supposed to sound, or the tempo (but you gotta start slow, to get to fast, right?).... cool tune!
  9. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's a YouTube video of a solo nyckelharpa player. He's quite good!
  10. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wow, this is an awesome tune, and my favourite Swedish tune type, slängpolska. I'll have to dig out my husband's Väsen CD:s to get this original recording!!
    By the way, Ken, awesome playing!!!!!!!
  11. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Great playing, great tune! There's so much great Nordic music out there Vasen is probably my favourite. I'm definitely going to learn this one.
  12. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Ken -- very cool tune!

Have you ever listened to LeRoy Larson and the Minnesota Scandinavian Ensemble? This is a great collection of Norwegin, Swedish, and Finnish tunes with some outstanding to die for schottisches, polkas and waltzes.

There is a Swedish waltz on there called Tater Vals that is such a lovely tune. In fact, now you have me thinking about this CD I am going to learn that song today.

To post to the Social Groups it has to be on a site so you can url-it right?

Anyway here is a link to LeRoy and his group:

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/artists/larson.htm
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie, I'm not sure I understand your question about posting to the social group, on site, url....

Also, can you recommend any of those CD's of LeRoy Larson? I haven't had that much exposure to the Scandinavian tunes... but I do live smack dab in the middle of Iowa in a largely 'Scandahoovian' settled area.... my man is half Norwegian....
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bernie, your guess about posting is correct. You have to upload your video somewhere else first (such as YouTube or your own site if you have one). After that it can be linked to from here.

Bertram
  15. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Well, I've been working on this one for a little while so here is my attempt at it. I only recored playing the tune through once because I'm pretty sure I'd mess it up if I tried to play it twice. I had originally heard this one on a Malinky CD (the Scottish band Bertram gave the link to above). Many thanks to Ken for posting linking the notes because I'm sure I'd never have worked it out by ear!

16. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Oops! It looks I messed up embedding the video. Here we go again.

17. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Sounds great, Keith! I really like it in the lower register. Can you tell us a bit about the cittern?
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice, Keith, I love the sound of that tune on your cittern.
  19. Susanne
    Susanne
    Good job, Keith.
  20. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Thanks everyone.

Ken, the cittern was made by German luthier Christian Sandner in 2002 and I bought it from the original owner last November. It was built as a waldzither but the previous owner had the neck replaced with a longer one and changed it to 5 courses of 10 strings. It has a spruce top and a gorgeous rounded staved rosewood back (I'm a sucker for instruments with nice backs). I tune it GDAda. This is my first good quality instrument and I'm really enjoying it.
  21. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    You guys, that sounds wonderful! Super cool song. Also, now I want a cittern. =-)
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Finally getting around to videoing this. Certainly not flawless, but fun!

23. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing Barbara. I like this tune a lot.
  24. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Barbara, you gave me the inspiration to learn this tune. Here's my try at Pennknivsmördaren. A very cool tune which was really hard for me to learn. Yesterday I couldn't play it to save my life but today it mostly came together. Played on my Fletcher tenor guitar with some pre-recorded guitar and bass as backup.

25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice, David, and I agree, its a very cool tune! Love your Fletcher Tenor Guitar... but you're showing me up looking all dressed nice, and I'm always in my jammies!! When I finally got this tune memorized, I'd find myself waking up in the morning, with it still rolling through my head!
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wonderful!! This is such a nice tune. Barb, don't worry about being in your jammies... that makes me feel better about my "after-working-night"-look or "studying-at-home-so-I-don't-care-about-my-looks"- look, LOL!!!!! (Actually a reason why I've started to not show my head in the videos!)
  27. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice David! The tenor's great.
  28. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks very much for this tune, Ken. It´s one of my favorites now. Very interesting to hear it been played on all these different instruments.
    I tried it on the bouzouki in GDAD, capoed for AEBE and played like a G-tune.

29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, that's just GREAT on the bouzouki! A very haunting tune, on a haunting instrument!
  30. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    That sounds great Michael!
  31. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks Barbara and Keith. It´s really fun to play Swedish Polskas on the bouzouki, because they work so well in the bouzouki tuning, especially these in Gminor, IMHO. What tuning are you using Keith?
  32. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    My cittern is tuned GDAda.