Ashokan Farewell

1. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    This is a contemporary waltz but it sounds old. It was featured in Ken Burns civil war series.

I played the basic notes the first time through and then tried to add some double stops and tremolo second time through and goofed up a bunch.

(by the way I shut down all background apps and auto lighting etc. and the sound and picture seem to be a bit better synced.)

2. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    That's a great song (Nice playing Chris) and I've always wanted to get around to learning it. So here it goes.

I decided to try it on multiple mandolins to hear the differences.

First, on the Silverangel F5:

Next on 1921 Gibson F2:

and finally on a Pomeroy F4:

I play mostly bluegrass, so I haven't been playing the F2 and F4 much lately. I had forgotten how sweet they both sound (even with my clunkers).
    Don
  3. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    yeah, those oval holes produce a nice mellow sound (I particularly like the Pomeroy) -Playing in a group I like the F though -has a bit more bite. That twangy thing does pretty well with a band behind it.

Like your chord choices -nice color
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done, Chris and Don - I particularly enjoyed hearing that Pomeroy - I'm waiting on a Pomeroy A-4 at the moment...
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Emotions well up inside me whenever I hear this tune. Jay Unger deserves the Medal of Honor for writing this.

6. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Beautiful Eddie!

Thanks Chris and Jill!
    Don
    Enjoy that A-4 when you get it Jill.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice tremolo version, Eddie, and cool chords, Don.

Chris, a tip I got from Butch Baldassari a long time ago is to use all down strokes on slow tunes. You get the best tone from the down strokes and if the tune is slow enough you don't need the DUDU pattern, so go for the tone.
  8. Chris Keth
    Chris Keth
    Don, you could also use it as an exercise to get your upstrokes sounding exactly like your downstrokes. Ideally, nobody should be able to tell the difference between them, anyway. It takes some work, but it's certainly possible.
  9. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Thanks for the tip Don.

Here it is with all down strokes and some work on the tremolo

10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What do you think about your down stroke version, Chris? It feels to me like you're playing it with more authority and making the tune really speak. But maybe that's just me.
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice job, Chris, that sounded great!
  12. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Thanks,
    yeah, I though the all down strokes worked very well -makes each note solid and consistent.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a great tune this is! Here's my version with a little pre-recorded backup.

14. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's my take on Ashokan Farewell:

15. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Since this is one of my favorite songs on mandolin, I should post it.

16. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Very nice versions everyone!

I don't know Barbara - people are so into this, it should be the Three Songs a Week Social Group!
  17. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I believe the story behind this is that Jay composed the tune while traveling home after a particularly wonderful Ashokan music festival feeling blue because the festival had come to an end. Nice to hear this with all your variations etc. I love the tune and will never tire of it although it has been terribly overexposed to the point that lots of folks around here groan at the mere suggestion that we play the tune at at jam.
  18. Tavy
    Tavy
    Hi all, I'm just catching up on what I've been missing, so I thought I'd post my versions of this lovely tune.

Normally I play this on waldzither, BTW I notice in a lot of the videos posted here, that your missing out on the alternate B part (that wizzes up to fret 10!) on the final run through... intentional or no?

Here's the waldzither version:

Also an abridged version on a Stridente bowlback (I'd advise not watching the whole video, it goes on and on and on.... Ashokan fairwell is thankfully at the start!)

And finally, Jay Ungar's version, complete with the story of how this came about:

19. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Hi Tavy, well played, I really like the sound of the Waldzither, they are remarkable instruments.....
  20. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Tavy: I have a Stridente that looks very similar to yours. Sounds similar as well. All rosewood bowl. You know I have been looking for tabs for this tune but haven't found any of the complete tune. Do you have music for it?
  21. Tavy
    Tavy
    "Do you have music for it?"

The only music I have is a copyright protected pdf, I also have an abc file, but it's not right somewhere - I'll try and edit it to how I play the tune and then post.

John.
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Jim, the TABs are right her on the Cafe. go to 'home page' then under Resources click 'tabulature' then waltzs/airs, it's the 3rd one down.
    it's not real elaborate with double-stops and all, but it will get you started.

monkeyhead
  23. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is another one I found with chords et al.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1276195055

michael
  24. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Thanks Mike. I have several versions but most are either simple melody or simple melody with guitar accompaniment. I often hear the tune played on fiddle with more embelishments and would love to find such music either in standard notation or tab.
  25. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Tavy: Your Stridente has a more ornate head than mine. Also, mine was oil finished and the top has very little finish at all but the bowl has thin strips of lighter wood between the rosewood staves.
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Willow was usually used to seperate the staves.
  27. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    When it came to me it had a large split along a seam and I had to repair it. Also there were two splits along the edge of the top. It plays well and keeps tuning well. It does have a distinct sound though.
  28. Tavy
    Tavy
    "Tavy: Your Stridente has a more ornate head than mine. Also, mine was oil finished and the top has very little finish at all but the bowl has thin strips of lighter wood between the rosewood staves. "

Mine had those lighter stripes as well. All in all I was very pleased with that Stridente - I found it the easiest of the bowlbacks I've had to hold - nice neck profile too. For sure it doesn't sound like an Emburgher, but it did have a good tone to it.

BTW re: music for Ashokan Fairwwell, don't forget that Jay Ungar sells the "official" lead sheets from his website - I seem to remember they're quite reasonably priced as well.
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Of course I played this song on the fiddle, but these great versions inspired me to figure it out on the mandolin, too. Here's what I've come up with so far.

30. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Nice version Marcelyn
  31. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    One of my favourite waltzes, I first heard this the summer he wrote it (though not the same week ) Here's my go at it:

Unfortunately I did not heed the "Gremlins" warning, and fed my Collings MT after midnight AND got it wet. As you can see, it transformed into a Mann EM8 electric octave mandolin. Just got this tonight, and it's really nice! You'll be seeing and hearing more of this, once I get used to the stretch (19 inch scale).

For another view of the EM8, see Hitler's Downfall (I'm not sure I want to start another thread just to show off my new instrument...)
  32. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Dude, crank that Marshall, break out the pedal board and give us some effects too.
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dana, that's an awesome instrument! How about a still photo so we can really see it! Do you have a 'regular' OM as well? A 19 inch scale shouldn't be that hard to get used to, I think mine is 22.5". More~ More~
  34. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Hello Barb,

Thanks, yes the manndolin is really nice. I don't have an OM. I've been jonesing for one for a bit, but am put off by the scale length. I've also sort of been eyeing electric mandos, instead of using my acoustic/electric. Then I found this model on YouTube, and fell in love with the sound. The scale length seemed reasonable as well (although it's still taking a bit of getting used to. Not sure whether to stick with mandolin fingering or go with tenor banjo.) So I contacted Jon Mann in March, and well, here we are. Jon is a great guy to work with, and makes amazing instruments - I highly recommend him. He also has lots of demo videos on YouTube. Fun even if you're just windows shopping.

So, pictures:

Sorry if they're too big. I used the smallest setting my camera would allow. Anyway, the flamed maple is amazing. He said he had some nice pieces lying about, and he wasn't kidding. And yes, I do like black tops, and this matches the Collings pretty nicely.
  35. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Janey mack, that yoke is gorgeous!
  36. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Wow! Congrats, Dana! Turn it up to 11!!!
  37. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Ashokan Farewell
    C:Jay Unger
    L:1/8
    Q:180
    M:3/4
    K:D
    z6 | z4 Ac | "D"d3c BA | F4 EF | "G"G3F ED | "Em"B,2 D3B, | "D"A,2 D2 F2 | A2 d2 f2 | \
    "G"f3g f2 | "A"e4 Ac | "D"d3c BA | F4 EF | "G"G3F ED | "Em"B,2 D3B, | "D"A,2 D2 F2 | \
    A2 d2 f2 | "A"A2 c2 e2 | "D"d4 FG | A3F D2 | d4 A2 | "G"B3c d2 | "D"AF z2 E2 | F3E D2 | \
    "G"B,3A, A,2 | "A"A,6 | A4 FE | "D"D2 F2 A2 | "C"=c4 d2 | "G"B3c d2 | "D"AF z2 D2 | \
    A,2 D2 F2 | A2 d2 F2 | "A"E3D C2 | "D"D6 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  38. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's my attempt at a chord melody-ish version

39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Shaun, sounds lovely!
  40. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    So I recorded this on the deck this morning thought it sounded nice with the seagulls and waves. Then I found the thread so what the heck I put it up. Every one on this thread did a lovely job. I really like this song.
  41. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice job Obi. I do love a good waltz. And, this is one of my favorites.
    Maybe considered more as a lament.
    But, right now those waves are sounding pretty good also.
    Gary
  42. Fishguy
    Fishguy
    I'm apparently in a recording mood today, and this one has been on my to-do list for awhile. I tossed in my great grandfather's tenor banjo on the last round, which I finally got back into playing condition.

43. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    very, very nice, Fishguy.
    This is one of my all-time favorites and the revival of the thread motivates me to practice and record an acceptable version.
  44. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds really tasteful, Fishguy.
    I'm amazed how perfekt the voices/instruments fit together. The tune is great. I schould put it on my to-dolist too.