Let's think about Week #3

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Do ya'll want to work from the list compiled from last week (I think they could be loosely categorized as Old Time / Traditional / Fiddle Tunes, with some Irish / Celtic tunes thrown in!)

St. Anne's Reel
    Salt Creek
    Devil's Dream
    Bill Cheatam
    Crooked Stovepipe
    Golden Slippers
    Red Dream
    Colored Aristocracy
    Soldier's Joy
    Harvest Home
    Off to California
    Jubilo
    Over The Waterfall
    Westfork Gals
    A Place in the Heart

OR, do you want to go onto another genre?

I'd like as much input as possible. I know it's only Tuesday, but my plan is to announce the new tune mid day on Friday.
  2. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I don't have a particular preference (I'm still working on a few things for week 2), but I will request something in a new key. Including Whiskey Before Breakfast, which started this whole idea, everything we've done has used the D major scale. There are plenty of other commonly used keys, let's explore some of those.
  3. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Over the waterfall is good!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    D is a pretty popular key for Traditional & Fiddle tunes. Of the list above, here's what I know about the keys:

St. Anne's Reel - D
    Salt Creek - D
    Devil's Dream
    Bill Cheatam
    Crooked Stovepipe
    Golden Slippers - D
    Red Dream
    Colored Aristocracy - G
    Soldier's Joy - D
    Harvest Home - D
    Off to California - G
    Jubilo - D
    Over The Waterfall - D
    Westfork Gals - D
    A Place in the Heart

this is a medley we play:
    Irish Washerwoman / Kesh Jig (G)

I've been working on some tunes from a New England Dance Fiddler's Book, and have grouped them into 2 tune medleys:

Saddle the Pony (G) & Bell's Favorite (D)
    Far From Home (G) & Farewell to Whiskey (G)
    Kenmure's Up and Awa' (A) & Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre (D)
    Jackson's Fancy (D) & Irishman's Heart to the Ladies (A)
    Jock Tamson's Hornpipe (D) & Mackilmoyle (D)

Then, there are minor & modal tunes:

Brian Boru's March (Am)
    The Butterfly (slip jig in Em)
    Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap (A mixolydian)
    Little Beggarman (Red Haired Boy) (A mixolydian)
    Cluck Old Hen (Am)
    Foggy Dew (Em)
    Song of the Chanter (D Dorian)
    Coleraine (jig) (Am)
    Hardiman the Fiddler (slip jig) (D mixolydian)
    Merry Old Maid (Em)
  5. billkilpatrick
    ye gad! can you play all those off the top of your head?!?
  6. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Let's do Irish Washerwoman That's a good simple one. I wanna hear others variations on it.

Chris
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, the new medley's I mentioned, I'm still having to glance at my notation for those. Our band plays Old Timey / Traditional and Irish / Celtic music, so I probably have maybe 50 or so, of those that I can play off the top of my head... For the most part, these types of tunes are VERY easy to learn and play!
  8. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Barbara,

I really like the last few words of your post!!

John
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, most of the tunes on the list above, are much easier than Road to Lisdoonvarna or Fisher's Hornpipe! We started out with a higher difficulty level, for sure!
  10. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Barbara,

I look forward to that. (In understated, relieved voice.)

John
  11. billkilpatrick
    yeah, well ... "maybe 50 or so" tunes, all worked out on the mandolin is pretty impressive.
  12. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Surprise us. I'll try to get my Week 2 tune recorded tonight. What a week! (If you have Saddle the Pony, try it in a set with Scatter the Mud and Pull The Knife Out and Stick It In Again. I loving going from major to minor keys in sets...)
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, it's Thursday! Get your input in for week #3!
  14. billkilpatrick
    democracy!? ... thought the cafe was an apostolic set-up ... i - i ... you choose!
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, if you leave it entirely up to me, these tunes will be mostly old time, traditional, celtic, or fiddle tunes, cuz that's what I know! I'm glad to see that the 'other than the song of the week' videos are getting submitted, and I'll keep up on that one, too!

So, if you have input, let's hear it! I'll post Week #3 midday tomorrow!

Barb
  16. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I'll add a couple in the same genre that I don't know and would like to learn.

Chinquapin Hunting - D
    Constitution Hornpipe - F (hey it's not D!!)
    Grandmammy Look at Uncle Sam - Am
  17. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Here's tab and notation for Grandmammy Look at Uncle Sam.

18. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Oh, another suggestion,
    Beaumont Rag - C

I've got some friends that love to play it and i've never learned it. It's a fun tune.

19. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Barbara,

I looking for something easy so that I can catch up! Pretty Please!

John
  20. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    I love Beaumont Rag! I've played it on guitar for a while, but this would be a good excuse for me to learn in on mandolin.
  21. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    How about this idea:

Anyone can request a particular tune by calling it and we can try to take turns like in a regular jam session. At the end of the week if no one has called a tune than Barbara will pick since I think we have all elected her leader by default of the song a week

So if you have not picked a tune or have not picked one in a while and you have one you want to do just be the first to call for any particular week. This way everyone will eventually get a chance to do whatever interests them or not have to be in the spotlight. (whichever they choose).

Does that make since?
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mandophyte, I posted a very simple tune, Soldier's Joy, in a separate discussion. Do you already know that tune? I realize that our 'membership' ranges from extreme newbies, to seasoned musicians, and every where in between. I am going to make an effort to post some easier tunes as separate discussions, so that those of ya'll who are just starting out, can get some easy to play tunes under your belts. Those discussions will be just like the 'song of the week' tunes... I encourage others to participate in those, as well!
  23. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Barbara,

Yes, I saw that posted and am giving it a go.

John
  24. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    time for an executive decision ... oh, Barbara, we're ready for week 3!!!

25. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Yes we're ready! I need extra time to
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, I've posted the week #3 in a new discussion thread. Irish Washerwoman, a jig in the key of G. Now, get to work!
  27. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I think many fiddle tunes are in D or A b/c that is how a fiddle is tuned and it's easier to play in than, say, F or Bb (which for some sadistic reason my band leader keeps wanting us to sing in)