Grandfather's Clock

1. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    here is a nice simple tune that is pretty commonly heard at bluegrass jams.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=

I thought I would try something different so I made two recordings the first with a rhythm and then a break and then the second time I played over the first one, first the break and then a standard chop.

2. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    very nice Chris! I'll have to learn that song. I don't hear it around the jams in St. Louis.
    Thanks
    DOn
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ChrisStewart... Thanks! That was great. I don't bluegrass, but it wouldn't hurt me to learn some. I hadn't thought about multi-tracking with the video camera, I may have to give that a try. That, along with learning chop chords!
  4. billkilpatrick
    nice! jazzy little chord change at the " ... it was always his pride and joy" part of the song. i think you should get second prize in the "neatness counts" contest - the screen's a great idea. first prize has to go to chris travers, of course ... never seen a tidier, more orderly, more ship-shape-erly back ground as his. i'm more of a chaos, "heaps" sort of guy, myself ...

- bill
  5. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Yeah behind the screen are my piles of junk -mostly remote control planes and the stuff that goes with them here in my office/hobby room.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, like I said, I am a complete newbie on chop chords. Can you somehow show/tell me what those 'up the neck' chop chords you are playing, what they are, and what frets you are playing?
  7. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Those are great chords for chopping, very flexible in getting 7ths and minors, and completely moveable up the neck.

The basic pattern for an A Major chord is (from G to E) 2245 which would be root,5th, 3rd, root.

move it up a string and you have a D chord, 245X (mute/don't strike the E) with a 5th in the bottom.

move the original A up a fret for a Bb chord, 3356.

for an A-minor, just move the 4th fret to the third. 2235. To get a flat seven (minor 7), don't play the second root and play a flat 7 instead, 2243. Etc.

These are cool chords, but in bluegrass you also commonly see the more standard "chop chord" whcih is (for an A) 9745. That's a 5th, root, third, root. Makes a very percussive sound IMO.
    Don
  8. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    OK, here is a great chordsheet a friend of mine put together. The chords Chris was primarily using are called "A-shape" chords on this file. The chop chords you often see in BG are more of the G and C shape chords.

Enjoy: Chord Sheet
    Don
  9. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    yeah, the G is the D chord shape (245x) moved up to the 7th fret (7-9-10-x)

and the D is the A chord shape (2245)moved up to the 7th fret (7-7-9-10)

and so on -just those two shapes.

Not the traditional chords normally used to chop on but (for me) much easier to use than the (7523) G which is a hard stretch but also hard to change from a G to a D

I think if you listen to the tone produced at this position verses the lower position they also fit the song better.

I use those two shapes a lot because they are so easy and easy to move up and down.
  10. billkilpatrick
    here's my go at it using the highly touted "power grip" (i posted the video to the message board - should have posted it here - sorry):

d
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Bill, that was great! Did you already know that tune? How did the power grip work for you? Barb
  12. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Great, I need that power grip -I'll have to check into that. I guess it is posted on the main board?
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is TAB for Grandfather's Clock from Dry Bones

14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's my feeble attempt at Grandfather's Clock on my no-name Tenor Banjo, in Irish Tuning (GDAE) one octave lower than a mandolin. Even with my volume on my webcam turned all the way down, I had to turn away from the camera, AND try to play VERY softly (pretty hard on a banjo, haha!) to keep the video from making a crackling noise. Still don't have the harmonics thing very good!

16. DryBones
    DryBones
    Barb,
    how did you make that pic so big? I tried several times and could never get it right. Thanks for posting it for me.

Jason
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jason, I don't know! I actually reduced it a bit before I put it on here!
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    My Grandfather's clock was too tall for the shelf so it stood 90 years on the floor... My dad used to sing it to me me when I was a wee lad... still brings a tear to my eye...
    The Clock stopped, never to go again when the old man died....
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My grandfather's clock was too large for the shelf
    So it stood ninety years on the floor
    It was taller by half than the old man himself
    And it weight not a penny's weight more
    It was bought on the morn that my grandpa was born
    And was always his treasure and pride
    But it stopped short never to go again
    When the old man died

Ninety years without slumbering (tick tock tick tock)
    His life's seconds numbering (tic tock tic tock)
    When the old man died.

At watching its pendulum swing to and fro
    Many hours he had spent as a boy
    As he grew into manhood the clock seemed to know
    For it shared every sorrow and joy
    And it struck twentyfour as he entered the door
    With his beautiful and blushing bride
    When the old man died

My grandfather said that of those he could hire
    Not a servant so faithful he'd found
    For it wasted no time and it had but one desire
    At the close of each week to be wound
    Yes it kept in its place but not a frown upon its face
    And its hands never hung by its side
    When the old man died

Then it rang an alarm in the dead of the night
    An alarm that for years had been dumb
    And we knew that his spirit was pluming for flight
    That his hour for departure had come
    Yes the clock kept the time
    With a soft and muffled chime
    As we stood there and watched by his side
    When the old man died
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Can't pass it up - dedicated to my Old Man.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great tremolo-ing! We need more of that! Barb
  22. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I've never heard that played around here - but I remember my grandmother singing it to me when I was little. Barbara, thanks for posting the lyrics -I could only remember the first verse.