Suggestions for Week #2

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's the discussion for next week's tune! I'll start it out by suggesting that we pick either Old Time or Fiddle tunes for this next tune.

Some that I like:
    Soldier's Joy, St. Anne's Reel, Colored Aristocracy, Jubilo, Harvest Home, Off to California, Over the Waterfall, Westfork Gals.
  2. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    St. Anne's Reel is a good one. I'll also suggest Fisher's Hornpipe for either this week or future weeks.
  3. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    How about Devil's dream, Bill Cheatham, or Salt Creek? Those are great ones.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris Travers: would those be Old-Time / Traditional, or fiddle tunes, or are they bluegrass tunes? I know that ChrisStewart is anxious to learn your rendition of Salt Creek! We've got a week to decide which tune... so lets have as much input as possible! Also, it was suggested by the moderators of the cafe, that one way to direct interest in our social groups, is to put links to our groups, in our signature that is attached to our posts on the regular message board. If anyone needs help figuring out how to do that, just let me know! Barb
  5. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    "Chris Travers: would those be Old-Time / Traditional, or fiddle tunes, or are they bluegrass tunes?"

I think they classify as all of the above. And If it were me, I'd Pick either Salt creek or Bill Cheatham.

PS. I have put the link to the group in my signature. I suggest that everyone else do the same.

Chris
  6. chip
    chip
    Fisher's Hornpipe...
  7. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    St. Annes reel is a good one, or even whiskey before breakfast, although whiskey b4b may have been overdone, I'm not sure...
    Then there's other good old time fiddle tunes like crooked stovepipe, golden slippers, Red wing etc.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, it's Wednesday, and let's have Friday be the day that we decide what tune will be for next week. I'd like to have as MUCH input from our members as possible!

So far:

St. Anne's Reel
    Fisher's Hornpipe
    Salt Creek
    Devil's Dream
    Bill Cheatam
    Crooked Stovepipe
    Golden Slippers
    Red Dream
    Colored Aristocracy
    Soldier's Joy
    Harvest Home
    Off to California
    Jubilo
    Over The Waterfall
    Westfork Gals

Since the 'purpose' of this group is multi-purpose.... There will be those who want a tune they already know and play well, so that they can post an impressive video, and there will be those who want a NEW tune, that they can learn.
  9. chip
    chip
    Maybe just posting video's of songs people know would be fun instead of waiting..I want to see some music!
  10. billkilpatrick
    the only one i can "do" already is "over the waterfall." i'd like to be pushed a bit ... but whatever you'awl decide will be fine with me.
  11. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I've never played the melodies of any of those tunes. Any one would be a new challenge to me.
  12. DryBones
    DryBones
    A Place in the Heart?
  13. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    write them all on pieces of paper and draw one from a hat... haha
  14. DryBones
    DryBones
    yep, all suggestions in a hat that can be added to at any time and once a week just pull one out. Time flies, we will get to them all...........eventually!
  15. Joel Spaulding
    Joel Spaulding
    Are we voting?
    St Anne's Reel. I suspect it will come up soon, if not this week.
    Anything on the list would be fun.
  16. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I just joined this group, so forgive me if I overstep my bounds.

I'll try and record the current song tomorrow. It's a cool song and the recordings are great.

For the Old time tune, it might be fun to choose something that fewer people know rather than the more common tunes.

I just got the tab for a cool Norman Blake tune from Matt Flinner called Walnut River. It's got an old time feel, has some cool arpeggio-like runs, an interesting chord progression, and is a little crooked ( A A B A A B). So that's my suggestion: Walnut River by Norman Blake.

Once I figure out how to post a file, I'll post the tab. Some may like it even if it's not chosen.
    Don
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ducati; On the regular message boards, there are additional options at the bottom, that include attachments, but I don't see one here. You can, however, insert an image, but it looks like it has to be on the web somewhere, with a URL. Let me find out if they can add the additional options to the social groups. If you want to email me the TAB, I will do what I can to get it up here! I found the tune on YouTube, and yes, it's lovely!
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I posted in a separate discussion, how to attach files, images & mp3's to our social group messages!
  19. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    It's Friday - have you all decided yet?

I doubt that I'll ever be brave enough to post a video, but I learned/memorized "Road to Lisdoonvarna" in about a day. The B part took some figuring, but I kept watching Barb's video and finally worked it all in.

I figured learning a new song every week would be a great challenge for me and I thank you all for such a wonderful idea!

Tracy