O'Carolan Tunes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    \ = /2 ?
  2. willh
    willh
    Jim,

I am not much of an expert on ABC. I downloaded a tutorial from the internet and went by it. I know there is a lot of difference between your new upload and the first one. When I tried to get the second to translate at concertina.net, the result was totally changed, timing was all off.

I personally use Finale Notepad. It is a bargain and does a good job of printing out a melody line with double stops or even full chords. It can produce a .mid file and includes a midi player feature.

The theory I follow in adding double stops or chords is that the melody note is usually the highest pitch in the stop or chord. This means that it will probably be the last note played on a down stroke. Notice that I said "usually" because it can vary.

Will
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Something is confusing me about the abc file that I downloaded. It indicates that the default note length is 1/16 but the notation shows nothing shorter than 1/8. The notes followed by a 2 would should be 1/8 but are shown in the notation as 1/4.
    When I import the abc file into tabledit it changes the default note length to 1/8. When I print off the notation out of tabledit, it looks fine and plays correctly. I guess I need to read the whole abc tutorial again as well as the tabledit tutorial. I'm missing something.
    If I was able to attach a file to this message I would attach a pdf of my printout.
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I'm confused about the note length thing. The original abc file indicates that the default note length is 1/16 but the notation shows nothing shorter than 1/8. The notes in the abc file followed by a 2 should be 1/8 notes but are shown in the notation as 1/4.
    When I import the original abc file into tabledit, the default note length is changed to 1/8. When I export the abc file it indicates the shorter notes followed by a forward slash "/" which should mean "default note length divided by 2" which should indicate a 1/16 note. My headache is coming back.

X:1
    T:Constantine Mguire
    C:RISOLUTO
    L:1/8
    Q:80
    M:2/4
    K:G
    d | [c/E/]B/A/G/ dG | [B/F/]c/d [d^F]e/f/ | [gB]f/e/ [a^c]g/f/ | [gc]A Ad/c/ | [c/G/]B/A/G/ Bd | \
    [c'e][bd] [ac][gB] | [f/c/]g/f/e/ [dF]e/f/ |[gB] [GD][GB,] |e | [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | \
    [d/G/]B/d/e/ dB | [cF]A AB | [cF]A Ad | [B/F/]c/d [GB,]d | [FC]d [EB,]e | [f/c/]g/a ea | \
    [g/B/]f/e/f/ dd | [ec][fd] [gB][ac] | [bd][gB] [gB]a/b/ | [c'e][ac] [ac][d'^f] | \
    [c'/e/]b/a/b/ g2 | [d/^F/]e/d/c/ Bd | [gc]e ce | [fd]g/a/ df |[gc][GB,][G/B,/] | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  5. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    According to what I can find the default note length for 2/4 time is 1/16. There must be a bug in tabledit or a setting that I have missed. Experts kindly chime in here.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    \ = backslash
    / = forward slash

/ = /2

I'm still learning ABC as I go...
  7. willh
    willh
    Hey, Guys,

I just got home from church and have to go to work, but I found an error in the Squire Wood's ABC that I posted earlier. In the eighth measure from the end I left a bracket out that combined the B2g2 into a double stop. I corrected it in the original post.

Gotta go,
    Will
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's Sir Charles Coote on the mandola with some mandolin and octar added on.

X: 1

T: Sir Charles Coote
    M: 4/4

L: 1/8

R: Air
    K: C
    GF |: E2 G2 D2 G2 | FEDC E2 G2 | AB c2 dedc | cBAB G2 ed|
c2 g2 gagf| edef g2 fe | fedc cBAB | c4) c :| cd |
|: e2 g2 gagf | efge c'2 c2 | efge c'bag | agfe d3e | f)efe d2 eg | fedc cBAB | cBce dBGB | c4 c2 :|
  9. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    That sounds awesome David!

Here is another update for Constantine Maguire out of ABCexplorer. Got to be close. Eddy, can you try this?

%abc
    %%abc-alias My music
    %%abc-creator ABCexplorer 1.3.7 [22/08/2010]

X:096occ
    T:Constantine Mguire
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    B:Complete Works Of Turlough O'Carolan (PB - no pub - no date - fleamarket find)
    Z:to Noteworthy and MIDI by Chris Gilb; Translation to ABC and GIF copy by Vince Brennan
    H:Edited Jim Baker Aug 2010
    I:abc2nwc
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    C:RISOLUTO
    d4|[cE]BAG d2G2|[BF]cd2 [d2^F2]ef|[g2B2]fe [a2^c2]gf|[g2c2]A2 A2dc|
    [cG]BAG B2d2|[c'2e2][b2d2][a2c2][g2B2]|fgfe d2ef|[g2c2]G2 G2||
    e2|[dG]Bde d2B2|[dG]Bde d2B2|[c2F2]A2A2B2|[c2F2]A2A2d2|
    [BF]cd2 [G2E2]d2|F2d2E2e2|[fc]ga2 e2a2|[gB]fef d2d2|
    [e2c2][f2d2][g2B2][a2c2]|[b2d2][g2B2] [g2B2]ab|[c'2e2][a2c2][a2c2][d'2^f]|[c'e]babg4 |
    [d^F]edc B2d2|[g2c2]e2c2e2|[f2B2]ga d2f2|[g2c2][G2B,2][G2B,2] |
  10. bratsche
    bratsche
    Nice tune and nice sound, David! I'm not a scroll fan, but I'm definitely liking the sound of that mandola. You've got yourself a good 'un!

bratsche
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I posted a version of Blind Mary on the waldzither in this thread a few months back; here it is on my Mid-Mo M-0W. Notation/tab as before.

Martin
  12. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Here's a medley of George Brabazon/Morgan Magan inspired by Butch B. and John Mock's cd.

13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a beautiful rendition of George Brabazon/Morgan Magan played on a GREAT sounding mandolin. Thanks
  14. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    What a wonderful, wonderful thread! O'Carolan tunes are new to me ~ and here's a one stop source of inspiration. Thanks so much!
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I think Butch would like to hear that, too, luckylarue. What mandolin ist that - the headstock looks huge!
  16. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Thanks for the kind words. Butch has been a huge influence on me for sure. Mando: Gavin Baird A4.
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I'm a big O'Carolan fan and a lot of his tunes sound very "Christmassy" to me, so here's my version of Carolan's Draught played on my Weber octar, Sobell mandolin and Santa Cruz guitar.

X:186occ
    T:O'Carolan's Draught
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    C:ALLEGRO CON SPiRITO
    B:Complete Works Of Turlough OíCarolan (PB / no pub / no auth. / fleamarket find)
    Z:Chris Gilb into Noteworthy; Vince Brennan into ABC,MIDI & GIF (www.sosyourmom.com)
    M:C|
    D2|GABc defd|g2fe d2d2|e2E2d2D2|c2Bc ABcA|
    GABc defd|gfed ^cbag|gfed A2^c2|d6:|
    |:fg|afga bagf|egfe edcB|edef gfga|bagf efga|
    bBbB aBaB|gBgB fBfB|edef gfed|e6f2|
    gfed cBAG|e2d2d2D2|c2B2A2G2|FGAF D2z2|
    EFGE FGAF|GABG ABcA|d2g2bagf|g6:|
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You definitely have the knack when it comes to O'Carolan tunes, David. And you're right, it does have a holiday feel to it.
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    ,tef file for StdNotation and TABs:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1292260591
  20. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I never thought of O'Carolan sounding like Christmas, but now that you mention it, and with the addition of Carolan's Draught to this thread, it really does sound "Christmasy." Very nice post David.
  21. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    David that was beautiful. It did put me in the TRUE Christmas spirit. I think I'll pull out the plastic tree, put up the electric candles, and fire up the gas fireplace log. Merry Christmas to All.
    Gary
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks to everyone for the nice comments if time allows I'll try to get another Christmassy O'Carolan up before Christmas.
  23. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Beautiful stuff, David. I just played the George Brabazon/Morgan Magan medley at an Advent celebration at my daughter's day-care. The O'Carolan fits nicely w/ the holiday repertoire, imo. We also did Bach's "Jesu,..."
  24. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Lucky......that was wonderful! I can definitely hear Butch's influence. You really pull beautiful tone out of that mando!

David.....you make these multi-track recording look so effortless. What a perfect blend of instruments along with rock solid playing!
  25. Grommet
    Grommet
    Beautifully playing Lucy and Dave. Thanks for the inspiration.

Scott
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    There doesn't seem to be a version of "Eleanor Plunkett" here yet, so I've recorded on today. Tab/notation at Nigel Gatherer's site here.

Martin
  27. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just stumbled across a Carolan tune, "Abigail Judge", I didn't know in an edition of O'Neill's. No idea if this is considered a "canonical" Carolan tune -- I know that O'Neill has several tunes with questionable attribution.

I've recorded it twice, first on the Ajr:

Then on my retuned Kala ukulele (in fifths/mandolin tuning):

Martin
  28. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    What a great find Martin, Abigail Judge is similar to the beginning of "Mrs. Judge" which is listed as an official O'Carolan tune. I like this version much better than the canonized one. Here's my version on my Sobell mandolin along with some guitar, concertina and some bowed bass.

Here's the abcs:

X:649
    T:Abigail Judge
    C:O'Carolan
    B:O'Neill's 649
    M:C
    K:Gm
    GF \
    | D2G2 G2B2 | A3G ^F2d2 | d2c2 cBAG | G2^F2 D2zD |
    | G3A B2c2 | d2dc B2A2 | G2AB D2dc |(B2A2) G2 ||
    ||d2 \
    | g2d2 d2g2 | f3d B2d2 |c2BA G2c2 |(B2A2) G2^F2 |
    | G2A2 B2^c2 | d2d2 Hg2d2 | edcB dcBA | G3GG2 |
  29. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, David. Yes, I do like this one better than the "official" Mrs Judge, too. There are 76 tunes in O'Neill's that are attributed to Carolan, and quite of few of those are either not listed at all among the 213 tuned in the supposedly complete 1958 edition by Donal O'Sullivan, or are quite drastically different. While I suspect that O'Neill's is less scholarly rigorous, I generally find his versions to be more playable, probably because he collected them as they were being played by traditional musicians around 1900 rather than trying to reconstruct some elusive "original" composition -- elusive because few of his tunes were published in his lifetime, so most of this has been transmitted aurally in any case. With O'Neill's, these tunes have already been polished up by a couple of centuries or so of the folk process.

Martin
  30. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    David. That's truly beautiful. The bass is amazing. I like the way you lay on the bow. It fits your style perfectly. I hope you eventually play all the O'Carolan tunes.
    Gary
  31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Martin and David, you've done it again. Just when I thought O'Carolan would hold no more surprises. Intriguing, that wicked f# in the middle of aeolian G - sounds like those daring harmonic experiments they did in renaissance music.

I'll be at the printer fetching my standard notation sheet...
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent, Martin and David. I love this tune.

Martin, it sounds great on your ukulele. Thanks for showing both ways. The kids are loving their ukes. I'll send a video of their songs along for your kids to watch soon. We haven't tackled chords yet. I tried the C, but they're still too excited about abstract strumming right now.

David, I love that arrangement--and the bass especially. You have an impressive O'Carolan repetoire. You may want to think about cloning yourself so you could do live gigs.
  33. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks Bertram and Marcelyn. I've just had another look in O'Neill's to follow up from what I said yesterday:

There are 76 tunes in O'Neill's that are attributed to Carolan, and quite of few of those are either not listed at all among the 213 tuned in the supposedly complete 1958 edition by Donal O'Sullivan, or are quite drastically different. While I suspect that O'Neill's is less scholarly rigorous, I generally find his versions to be more playable, probably because he collected them as they were being played by traditional musicians around 1900 rather than trying to reconstruct some elusive "original" composition -- elusive because few of his tunes were published in his lifetime, so most of this has been transmitted aurally in any case. With O'Neill's, these tunes have already been polished up by a couple of centuries or so of the folk process.

To demonstrate that point, here are another four tunes, all attributed to Carolan by O'Neill, all lovely, and all conspicuously missing from the O'Sullivan edition.

1. My Dermot (O'Neill #647)

T:My Dermot
    M:6/8
    N:”Lively”
    R:Air
    S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 647
    Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
    K:D Minor
    F | A2A ABG | F2E D2 (A/B/) | c2c cdB | ({d}c3) c2B |
    A2A ABG | F2E D2 (3A/B/c/ | d2 d (de^c) | d3 d2 || (d/e/) |
    F2f fge | f2A A2 (A/B/) | ({d}c)Bc ({e}d2)B | ({d}c3) c2B |
    A2A ABG | F2E D2A | d2d de^c | d3 d2 ||

2. Beauty In Tears (O'Neill #635)

T:Beauty in Tears
    M:3/4
    N:”Moderate”
    S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 635
    K:D
    A2 | d2f2a2 | f2d2B2 | efgfed | fedcBA | d2 fdec | d2B2G2 | A2B2c2 | d6 :|
    || d2e2a2 | d’2a2f2 | edefga | b2g2e2 | dcdefg | a2 gfed | e2a2^g2 | a4f2 |
    f2e2B2 | B2c2d2 | efgfed | fedcBA | d2 fdec | d2B2G2 | A2B2c2 | d4 ||

3. Dermot O'Dowd (O'Neill #653)

T:Dermot O’Dowd
    N:”Slow”
    S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 653
    K:A Minor
    A>G|E2A2A2|A2 BAGA|B2 Bd BA|G2E2D2|E2A2A2|A2 BAGA|B2d2 e^f|g4||
    Ed|edegab|a2 bag^f|g2 gaba|g2 ezd2|e2 eged|B4 A>G|E2A2A2|B2A2||

4. Winnifred (O'Neill's #644)

T:Winnifred
    S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 644
    K:D Minor
    DE | G2 G>A GEDE | G2 G>A GEDE | A2 A>B c2 E>F | G3E D2 E>G | A2 A>B c2A2 |
    d2 d>e f2 ed | cAGE CDEC | D4 D2 || AB | c2 cd cAGA | d2 de f2 ed | d>CAG E2 DE|
    CcGE C2 DE | F2 EF G2 ^FG | Ad{e}de f2 ed | cAGE CDEC | D4 D2 ||

I have also recorded two more of O'Neill's Carolan tunes, although both of these are actually widely acknowledged as Carolan compositions.

5. Planxty Johnston (O'Neill #656), also known as "Baptist Johnston". O'Neill has it in D, and I play it in that key, although thesession.org has it down a fifth to G. That would certainly make it easier to play, as it avoids the brief excursion to third position (which I didn't pull off as gracefully as I would have wished...), but I think it sound better in D.

T:Planxty Johnston
    M:6/8
    N:”Lively”
    S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 656
    d2d dcB|A2G F2G|E2A D2d|{d}c2B A2a|f23 d2e|f2g a2b|
    a2f d2e|c2d e2f|ecA ecA|B2c d2 e|d2d {f}edc|d3 d2z||
    afg a2f|c2d ebc’|d’2b c’2a|b2g efg|a2a aba|f2f fgf|ded c2d|ecA ABc|
    dcB AGF|(G3 G)AG|e2e efe|ecA A2z|faf gbg|faf geg|fdf ecA|d3 d2z||

6. The Lamentation of Owen Roe O'Neil (O'Neill #626)

Listed by O'Sullivan as "Lament for Owen Roe O'Neill", with several differences to the tune. My version is as published in O'Neill's.

T:The Lamentation of Owen Roe O'Neill
    S:O'Neill – Music of Ireland (1903) No. 626
    N:"Slow"
    Z:bc/
    K:Gm
    (GABc) d3c | (Bcd=e) f2(ef) | (gd)(dc) TB2(AG) | A2(GF) D2z2 |
    | (GA)Bc d2cB | (cB)(AG) F2Ac | (B2AG) (AGAc) | B2A>G G2z2 ||
    || (GABc) d3c | Bcd=e f2ef | g2d2 (edcB) | A2TG>G F2z2 |
    | (d>ed).B .c.c.c.A | (B>cB).G .A.G.F(D | B3)(G A3)(F | ~G>)FD^F G2z2 |]

Martin
  34. Ryan H
    Ryan H
    Amazingly enough, I've never heard of O'Carolan before reading this post, but you guys have inspired me to record something for the Cafe. The bad news: I had to figure out the chord progressions on my own (any suggestions for better chords are welcome), but the good news: I have my lovely wife Kim accompanying me on the flute.

35. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Ryan and Kim, You guys really nailed that one. Fantastic playing by both of you. Can't wait to hear more from you.
  36. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    How sweet that was, Ryan & Kim. So nice to see a couple playing music together ~ the flute and mandolin are just beautiful.
  37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    WHoa Ryan and Kim, I guess that's the most pleasant surprise for O'Carolan since they handed him his new harp at St. Peter's gate.
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is my own version of Abigail Judge. Since O'Carolan was a harper, I imagine him constantly throwing switches up and down on his harp while playing this...

P.S. I only just discovered that I am the only one to repeat A and B part respectively. David's ABC code prescribes no repetition, but I did it instinctively since most O'Carolan tunes told me to repeat so far.
  39. Ryan H
    Ryan H
    Thumbs up, Bertram. I love the tone from that thing.
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Ryan. Yes, a good instrument can hide a mediocre player
  41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's my rendition of Planxty George Brabazon (or "Brabizon") -- no great debate about authorship on this one (well, actually there is: they call this "Prince Charlie's Welcome To The Isle Of Skye" in Scotland, but I ignore that bit).

Played on my Mid-Mo M-0W, which I think suits Carolan very well.

X:31
    T:Planxty George Brabizon
    C:Turlough O'Carolan 1670-1738
    S:Jim Coon to CoMandoList TOW
    M:4/4
    Q:1/8=400
    ge |: "G"d2 G2 cB AG | d2 G2 cB AG |\
    "Am"e2 A2 AB cd | e2 A2 AB cd |!
    "G"ed cB g2 fg |"C"ed cB "G"cB AG |\
    "Am"BA GE "D"DE GA |1 B2 G2 G2 ge :|2 B2 G2 G2 ga ||!
    |:"D"b2 gb a2 fa | "Em"g2 eg ed cB |\
    "Am"e2 A2 AB cd | "Am"e2 A2 "D"A2 ga |!
    "G"b2 gb "D"a2 fa | "Em"g2 eg ed cB | \
    "Am"cB AG "D"DE GA |1 B2 G2 G2 ga :|2 B2 G2 G4 ||

Martin
  42. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    And Hewlett...

X:180
    T:Hewlett
    C:O'Carolan
    B:Ossian p.54 #56 (in A)
    D:Maureen Brennan "To Bend the Knotted Oak"
    D:Planxty "The Well Below the Valley"
    D:Maire Ni Chathasaigh and Chris Newman "Carolan Album"
    D:Derek Bell ???
    D:Dance Across the Sea "Dance Across the Sea"
    Z:1998 by John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu>
    S:Jim Coon to CoMandoList TOW
    Q:3/8=110
    A2 \
    | "D"D2 D2 FG | "A7"AB c2 A2 | "D"d2 f2 fg | fe d3 B | !
    A2 F2 F2 | "G"G2 GB AG \
    | "D"AF D2 "G"D2 |1 "D"D4 :|2"D"D4-D2|!
    || "D"A2 D2 AB | A2 D2 AB | A2 d2 d2 | dc BA GF |!
    "Em"G2 E2 GA | G2 E2 GA | G2 GA BG | "D"AF D3 E |!
    | "D"FE F2 G2 | "A7"AB c2 A2 | "D"fe fg ag | "G"fe d3 B|!
    "D"A2 AB AF | "G"G3 A BG | "D"AF D2 "G"D2 | "D"D4 |]!

Martin
  43. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    To keep the Carolan thread going, here is another fairly obscure one, "Eveleen's Bower". It's yet another one of those tunes that O'Neill lists as a Carolan composition but that's missing from the "definitive" O'Sullivan collection:

X: 1
    T:"Eveleen's Bower" 0642
    C:Turlough O'Carolan
    C:moderate
    B:O'Neill's Music Of Ireland (The 1850) Lyon & Healy, Chicago, 1903 edition
    Z:FROM O'NEILL'S TO NOTEWORTHY, FROM NOTEWORTHY TO ABC, MIDI AND .TXT BY VINCE BRENNAN 6-21-03 (HTTP://WWW.SOSYOURMOM.COM)
    NNot listed in O'Sullivan's Collection ): http://www.sosyourmom.com/occ/tunes.html
    Q:1/4=90
    F:http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/ab...leensBower.txt 20110619 225740 UT
    K:A
    "^vb"E|A2AA (AG)FE|EAAB (AG)FE|A2AA Ac(ec)|(B/2G3/2) E2E2zd|
    cBcd {c}e2cA|(A/2F3/2)(ED) (DC)(DE)|F3/2G/2AF (BA)GF|E2A2A2z||
    E|A2A2AGFE|EA A2(AG)(FE)|A2A3/2A/2 Acec|(B/2G3/2) E2E2zd|
    cBcd e2cA|A3/2F/2ED DCDE|F3/2G/2AF (BA)GF|E2A2A2z|]

Martin
  44. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I normally play this as a solo guitar piece in Em but today I tried it on my baritone guitar in Bm and added some mandolin and bowed bass to it. This is my favourite O'Carolan tune.

45. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, I can understand why this is your favorite tune! Beautiful!

Your musicianship is simply stunning.
  46. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Moosebumps! Beautiful.
  47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a hauntingly beautiful rendering of that tune, David. I can see why it's your favorite.
  48. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Lovely, David. I've listened to this one more than a few times. Thanks.
  49. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    my first video, Squire Parsons, I play my eastman 504 mandolin.
    ciao

50. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice P.S. Your Eastman sounds very nice too.
    Gary
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast