The Humours of Ballyloughlin

1. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Thought I would finally post something here, since I've been lurking and practicing since the beginning.

This is the Humours of Ballyloughlin, one of my favorites. I wish I could do it the justice it deserves. Maybe one day I can play it as well as Arty McGlynn.

Here is the ABC:

X: 1
    T: Humours Of Ballyloughlin, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmix
    |:ABA AGE|GED D2 B|cBc ded|cAG FED|ABA AGE|
    |~G3 cGE|DED DFA|1 DED D2 A:|2 DED D2 B|
    |:~c3 cBc|cAG AB^c|~d3 ded|dAF DFA|cBc dcB|
    |cAG FGE|DED DFA|1 DED D2 B:|2 DED D2 e|
    |:fdd gdd|fdd gdd|^cde ged|^cde ~g3|fdd gdd|
    |fdd ged|^cde gag|1 ed^c d2 e:|2 ed^c d^cB|
    |:AFD ABG|~F3 GED|~E3 EFG|~E3 EFG|ABA dAG|
    |~F3 GEA|DED DFA|1 DED D2 A:|2 DED D3|

And a link to it on the session.org:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/210

Thanks.
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Welcome to "The Serious Faces" Club. I liked your rendition. Is that a Weber mandolin?
  3. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Thanks Eddie. I was going for focused... actually, I was just trying to keep from sticking my tongue out while I was playing. A bad habit I've got.

As for the mandolin, it is an Alvarez. Plays great, but I wouldn't mind if it was a Weber.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great first post Hastyman - that's one of my favourite tunes as well! I finally learnt it because my mandolin teacher showed it to me recently. I heard a great version of this a few years ago, played by young Dublin piper Sean McKeon, with his dad, Gay McKeon, also a piper, and his ma, Mary Corcoran on the fiddle - it was mighty!

Hmm, I was about to go out the door but I might try to record a version while the light is good in my apartment....
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ok, after about a gazillion takes, here's my version of this:

6. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Jill, that was great. I especially enjoyed the B part. Much more interesting take on it. I just might have to work up that version.

Chris
  7. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Hey look at that. Finally realized why my avatar wasn't showing up. Had it in the wrong place... Now I have a face to go along with my name.
  8. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    So fluid, jill, so fluid.

You're not far behind her, Hastyman, not far at all!
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    The B part is inspired/lifted from a version I heard by Eileen Ivers - I'm not particularly a fan of her "world music" take on irish trad, but she is nonetheless a great fiddler, I'm not dissing her! I'm such an old curmudgeon though - I saw old footage of one of the All Ireland Fleadhs when it was up in Buncrana, Co. Donegal, and it showed a teenaged Eileen Ivers competing. She was brilliant and I was thinking, "Ah now Eileen, if only you'd kept to the pure drop!"
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Really wonderful, Jill. You're making that Pomeroy sing!

So what is the meaning of humours in the title?
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for the compliment - you are too kind Don!

You know, over on thesession.org I read an explanation of the origination of "Humours of..." in so many trad tune titles and for the life of me now can't remember what it was all about!
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Humours refer to good times or fun people. Fellas who are great craic. There are three levels of Craic - No Craic, Mighty or Great Craic, and 90.
  13. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    That is some excellent playing Jill wonderful job! I had to smile when I read your comments about Eileen Ivers and the All Ireland competitions. Did she win that 5 years in a row or was it for the entire decade? I don't know -- but a lot. But as to keeping pure -- I do believe that should definately be the case for whiskey -- but the reason I smiled is that this struggle, i.e., immutable versus evolution (or even revolution) goes on in all kinds of music. It is positively hilarious all the things that were allowed and not allowed in bluegrass in the 70's and 80's.

That said I not one of her new age music devotees -- but she seems to be a delightful person.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Eddie.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris and Jill... both great! I'm going to have to learn that one, too... but my time is short until I'm leaving for my daughter's wedding, and things aren't going to calm down for me till mid September! So, probably no time for learning new tunes, and for sure, no time for videoing!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, I meant to ask you... what is your 'percussion' beat in the background? You tapping your foot, or is it something else? It really drives the tune.... I like the sound of it! Scott, one of the members of the band that I play with, has decided to learn the bodhran, which I think is cool, as our band is comprised of flutes, whistles, fifes (and the like), 5 string banjo or TB depending on the tune, a rhythm guitar, and mando family instruments (mando's, mandola (rarely), OM & cittern). But nothing drum like, and no bass.... Anyway, I'm rambling! Need to start packing!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    The "percussion" is my foot tapping on my banjo case - what with this tune having 4 parts I wanted to make sure that my timing wasn't lagging as I transitioned from one part to the other.

Have a great time at the wedding!
  18. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Chris I had meant to leave you a comment earlier that I much liked your introductory video and you have the honors of being the first person to introduce me to Humours of Ballyloughin -- great tune and I think I'll learn to play it before I have the name committed to memory.
  19. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Thanks Bernie.

I tried to do it justice, as I've only been playing Mandolin since early March or so. However, I really enjoy playing.
  20. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    All the more impressive then Chris -- did you come over to the mandolin world from some other instrument then?
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes Chris, when did you come over to the Dark Side?
  22. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Eddie I was thinking the same thing except that the mandolin world is the LIGHT (as in enlightened) SIDE! Yes?
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    Ah yes, I keep getting confused with that other instrument....
  24. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Hasty, it doesn't seem fair you've only played 4 months and can handle the mando so well. Also I'm curious what you "heart", is it fire works, foggy weather, fire wood? Although I can't imagine being passionate about fire wood.
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    You would if it was your kindling your wife was burning... My wife refers to my instruments as "kindling".
  26. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    I Heart FW (Fort Worth), although good firewood has it's place... especially in the smoker.

I really didn't come over from anything else. Years ago I was a music major in college and played Jazz Bass, and I have a 12 string that was covered in dust in the corner with a busted nut and 5 strings(actually motivated to fix it now). I really haven't touched an instrument in 10 years or so, but I've always seemed to have a knack with instruments.

Hardest part was learning to read Treble clef. Apparently I had a good education in my distant past, as I can sight read pretty well. More the position of the notes on the staff as it relates to the mandolin. I find myself reciting "EGBDF" if I want to know the actual note.
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Hastyman your playing is awesome for only 4 months on the mandolin - well done to you!!
  28. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    It IS obvious that you are a gifted musician, Hastyman, even if you do love Fort Worth.

Yeah, Ernie Gave Bert Dead Flies, and Fat Albert Causes Earthquakes is important to knowin' the actual note but I wouldn't let that interfere with your playin' too much. Just play on, brother, play on!!!
  29. Susanne
    Susanne
    Lovely tune, and a gorgeous mandolin!!
  30. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here it is:

I first heard this a couple of months ago while in North Carolina. Although it was a business trip, a friend of mine there took me to a jam every night. He then emailed me the music. Maybe a week later this was posted here, so I actually learned it.
  31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Dana!
  32. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Reviving an old thread...

Just recorded this tune on my tenor banjo

Kyle
  33. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice picking!
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Kyle, that's a nice demonstration that it is possible to express emotion and rhythm with a TB, despite the boring attempts of master TB players to erase any kind of variation. Good one!
  35. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Thanks Bertram. Sometimes it's hard after playing the bouzouki so much to play the TB the same as most banjo players. I try and get in some trebles here and there. I tune my banjo GDAD like the zouk for simplicity.
  36. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Yet another standard & of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

37. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Awesome playing!!!
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good idea to show us your camera mirrored in the mandolin back, Ptarmi! What is it?
  39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Dick!
  40. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    @ Bertram

I use one of these: Flip Video Camcorder

.. an Idiot-Proof machine, which thankfully gives good results.

Cheers
    Dick
  41. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    It seems there are as many versions of this tune as there are sites with abc or sheet music. Which is/are your favorites???
  42. Eddie Sheehy
    What happened all the videos? Did this tune suddenly develop a copyright? Here's a reminder of what it sounds like... Played by two great guitarists on 2 cheap Yamaha guitars...

43. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    thats the problem when videos are hosted elsewhere Eddie. I may have deleted some of mine from youtube that I didnt like, and not thinking that all of a sudden people are asking "what the heck?" haha.
    Still love this tune, and havent played it in a while. Ill have to get back at it!
  44. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Jill's is still my favorite.

http://youtu.be/tJi1DEMdra8
  45. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Aye. I miss Jill and her beautiful triplets.
    I know she still lurks around from time to time.
    Would love to see a repost of this or one of her other favorites on her beautiful Hillburn.
    Please
    Gary