The Blackbird - set

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Comprised of two tunes - neither of them the Blackbird - Padraig O'Keefe's Slide followed by The Happy One-Step ( a Cajun tune). Sharon Shannon put the pair together and called them the Blackbird. Played on a Collings MF-O

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    thanks for posting those two Eddie, "Padraig O'Keefe's Slide" just went on my "to learn" list!
  3. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Sweet sounding mandolin Eddie. I don't recall you playing that instrument before. Is it new?

Forgive my lack of knowledge of people in music......who is Sharon Shannon?

Thanks for posting this novel combination.

Jim
  4. Clement Barrera-Ng
    Clement Barrera-Ng
    Nice one Eddie. I always thought I'm the biggest Sharon Shannon fan, but I think you may just have me beat

Jim - Sharon Shannon is a very accomplished button accordion player from Ireland, and is a musical sensation in her own right. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Shannon): "Her 1991 album Sharon Shannon is the best selling album of traditional Irish music ever released there".
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Thanks for kind words Jordan. As Clement said, Sharon is a real talent. If you've ever heard Steve Earle's" "The Galway Girl" then you've probably heard Sharon. Also, her rendition of "Fead an Iolair/Never Going Back Again" is superb - on her album "Each Little Thing (the Kids track)". I've posted a few tunes here that I learned from Sharon's albums: The Pernod Waltz, Leaving Brittany, Mouth of the Tobique, and now The Blackbird.

I've had the Collings MF-O for about three months. It's currently in the Classifieds, the taxman is knocking...
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    I transposed the Happy One-Step to D to fit in the Set.

The Happy One-Step ABC:
    X: 1
    T: Happy One Step, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Gmaj
    d>G B>d- d>G B>d|g>c e>g- g>a g>e|d>G B>d- d>B- B>A|A>G G>E D2 G>B|
    d>G B>d- d>G B>d|g>c e>g- g>a g>e|d>G B>G A>G E>D|1 E>G G>G- G2 A>G:|2 E>G G>G- G2 B>d||
    b>d b>b- b>d b>d|a>d a>a- a>d a>d|b>d b>b- b>d b>d|c'>d c'>c'- c'>d c'>d|
    b>d b>b- b>d b>d|a>d a>a- a>d a>d|b>d b>b- b>d b>d|c'>d b>d- a>d g>e||
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Padraig O'Keefe's Slide ABC:
    X: 1
    T: Padraig O'Keefe's
    M: 12/8
    L: 1/8
    R: slide
    K: Dmaj
    F2A ABA G2B BAG|F2A A2F E2F D2E|F2A ABA G2B BAG|
    [1 e2d cBA d2A B2A:|2 e2d cde d2A d2e:|
    f2A f2A g2B g2f|e2d c2d e2d cBA|f2A f2A g2B g2f|
    e2d cde d2A d2e|f2A f2A g2B g2f|e2d c2d e3- efg|
    f2A f2A g2B g2f|e2d cde d2A d2e||
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    I added a harmonica to simulate a button-accordion - I feel like I just ran a marathon...

9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It's hard to pass up a song called The Happy One Step. It's on the list. Love your rendition Eddie.