It's a sign!

1. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    Yesterday my W2s came in, so I'll soon have the funding for my mandolin. Today, I found that Elderly has the KM-172, which is the max of what I can actually afford to spend.... and this morning, my manager at work handed me a webcam so I'd be available for video conferences when I work from home.

Seems a pretty clear sign that I'm supposed to be on SAW, yes?
  2. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    agreed!
  3. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Congratulations! As an over worked "countess" of $$ .... I always work overtime to make sure folks get their W2s on time. Glad your countess is on the ball, and your manager so accommodating to your mandolin practice. Webcams are great. My cam has really helped me evaluate my playing and where I need to focus my practice.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a sign for sure. Now all you need is some nice tunes to play during your video conferences...
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ryan, that's an interesting thread to a Scot! W2s and Countess Loretta? I take it this has something to do with your IRS system and you may have got yourself some money back from them? Well done if that is the case. Maybe you could advise Willie Nelson on tax issues and he could then stop touring; I saw him a couple of times in Glasgow over the past three or four years.
    With the webcam for video conferencing, does this mean you could set up sessions and we could all join in, play along with you while you tried to talk seriously to your manager and colleagues while keeping your mando out of camera shot?
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Oh, it's a sign, alright. It's a sign that you have probably become infected with MAS by visiting these very pages. There is currently no known cure and you will be cursed, like the rest of us poor , tormented souls, in the eternal search for yet another and another instrument.
    Welcome to the club and ENJOY the ride.
    Michael
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    By joining us here in the Song a Week Social Group, you are joining one of the most fun, helpful, clever, witty, friendly, bunch of people, who are also very good at making music! I doubt there's another site quite like it, on the whole world wide web! Welcome, and we look forward to your contributions!
  8. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I wonder if John's idea would actually work. Has anyone ever tried a virtual live jam on skype or something?
  9. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    I've had trouble even carrying on a conversation on Skype without lag muddling things up. A live jam would be "interesting"
  10. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I do a Skype mandolin lesson each week. It is not even possible for a student and teacher to play at the same time and hear each other. You just hear yourself and an occasional distorted "blip" of the other person in spaces between phrases or something.

No way you can have meaningful musical interaction in real time by Skype. Maybe some higher-bandwidth video conferencing method. The video is duplex but the sound is basically simplex with, what under conversational circumstances, is fairly seamless automatic switching back and forth.
  11. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Hah, John ... wouldn't want to be responsible for keeping people from seeing Mr. Nelson on tour (as if I were that influential), lol.

I've successfully taken Skype lessons. Problem is, even with a humongous bandwidth, two people playing music seems to freeze up the works ... making jamming no bueno.

Yes, this is an awesome group, Barbara. The SAW Welcome Wagon rolled out full of tunes and good mojo for me. Still wagging my musical tail. I'm so looking forward to getting through these deadlines so I can start plucking here again.