A bit confusing. Or is it just me?

1. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Is it just me? I have had problems recently keeping up with what is happening in the Group Discussions. SAWs seem to have taken a back seat. Just my two cents.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, are you referring to the 'old' tunes that are coming back to the current discussions? A lot of that has to do with working on creating a TabEdit database. I'm not exactly sure how they are doing it, but in order for Michael to convert the tunes to .tef files, he needs the ABC. I believe he and several others are going through the existing tunes, and finding ABC's, and posting them on the current discussions. Then, I think Michael is converting them, and Scott is going to create a database.

I think that this makes it seem that there is less current stuff going on, but I think it's still there, just that so many of the old tunes are coming back around to help with Scott's project.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I too was wondering about this, Manfred. I found and posted a couple of abc files to the thread (Help Wanted - apply within) where Michael was asking for help and I have held off posting others until I heard back from Michael or someone else to confirm that this was the way to submit those files rather than resurrecting the old threads simply to put up the abc. I was reluctant to post them to their original threads for the very reason you have brought up here and thought that sending them to "Help Wanted" might be the way to go, as Michael still gets the files but the SAW group stays uncluttered. Thoughts, please, from anyone else?
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I think there is evidence of an unexpected benefit to this effort especially for newer members who would like to learn these tunes. I've run across several that I have now put on my list to learn. Perhaps short term pain for long term gain.
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Many of the old tunes, SAW and OTHER TUNES do not have the ABC's in the thread as we have been doing for a while. To creat the .TEF for the Database, our gracious volunteers are going thru the lists, newest first, checking for the ABC's and adding them if absent. That bumps the old thread to the top. I thought that was the best way to do it in order to keep the ABC in the appropriate thread instead of having to hunt all over the server if you want to learn that tune.
    I am typing up the database now and hope to send it to Scott next week, then add a couple of pages a week until we're done.
    would like to start with at least 100 tunes if possible.
    Trouble is, whilst creating the .TEF I often see a tune i missed and my ADHD kicks in and i can't help but learn it

Again, if anyone has some ideas on how to keep these from BUMPing up, let me know.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I think this way is just fine. Just because a tune discussion is 'old', doesn't mean it's any less valuable, or interesting! I am positive that in addition to the almost 500 registered members we have in this group, we have hundreds more people who visit this group without joining! I will try very hard to keep the table of contents up to date, and keep them bumped up to the first page. Our volunteers have been going it at hard, so this won't go on for very long, and we'll be 'back to normal'! Thanks, again, guys and gals, for undertaking what will most likely be a very valuable Mandolin Cafe database! The Song A Week Social Group rules!!!!!

So, I don't see any reason not to do it this way. But, if you decide you'd like to be able to do it and not bump it up, in the social groups, a post can be edited at any time (by the poster), without bumping it up. So, if you already had posted on the discussion, you can go to your post, click 'edit', insert the ABC, and it would not bump it up.

John, If you have done others, but not submitted them yet, I'd go ahead and get them in there however ya'll decide to do it, so someone else doesn't do the ones you've already done!
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I apologize. It has not been my intention to discredit the invaluable work of volunteers.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    No apologies! I didn't get the impression you were discrediting anyone! I, too, noticed the difference in the activity, and how it looks when you log in and check it out! This is a good discussion for explaining what is currently happening!

I just splurged and bought myself a laptop, as I'm on the road, waiting for this new grandbaby to arrive! So, I should be able to find a hotspot or wireless internet along the way, and keep things updated, so one way to keep things in a more chronological order, as far as tunes and discussions, is to start from a table of contents discussion. They are linked to the discussions, so clicking on them opens that discussion in another window...
  9. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Manfred & Barbara & Friends: Sorry that the list is getting shuffeled like this, I know it is a little disconcerting. I even wondered at first what the heck was going on. Scott and I had several discussions on this very subject. He planned to 'pull' all the .TEF files into one place on the server but that whould have left the tune threads without the ABCs and TEFs. This way you will be able to access any ABC or TEF files either thru Scott's new Search Engine OR in the tune thread itself.
    Thanks for Your continued Support,
    Michael
  10. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I think I'm done with all the disruption. I went through every page and have found abc for most tunes. I have tef files for all that I have found. One possible problem is that the names of some tef files may differ slightly from the list. Some files have come from mandozine but many have been created in tabledit from abc files. What is the next logical step?
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Jim, we have 1 field in the Database for AKA if a tune is known by another name (maybe we need more?) so could you let me know via e-mail what the multiples are? Thanks again.
    The next step is on my shoulders, or rather fingers, to do the dataentry into the database i have created that i will then zip and email to Scott. probably in installments of 40 - 60 tunes or so.
  12. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    It's more like this Mike. Example: "The Corncob Jig" or "Corncob Jig, The" or "The Corncob Jig_D_JimB" It's more name format than AKA.
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    When we tested the search engine you can just type in "corn" and it will find every tune with 'corn' in it. But there are many tunes that may have a name in Irish and another in English, or two totally different names in English.
    "Jig" will return every jig in the DB.
    "o'c" will call up every O'Carolan
    it's pretty cool!
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    mculliton123 said: "o'c" will call up every O'Carolan

... with the slight proviso that there is a school of thought that his name was "Turlough Carolan" and that the "O" is a 19th or 20th century addition. Searching for "Carolan" is the better option.

Martin
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    If his name was Irish then it was Traolach O' Cearbhallan (insert fadas where appropriate). The O or MAC means FROM or SON as in VAN, VON, DE, DI, DELLA, to denote lineage in a host of other languages - even English uses a suffix of SON (Johnson, Anderson - probably Swedish - Harrison, etc. If O'C is in the index it works for me. Michael, YOU, Jim, John, Loretta, and the other volunteers - and specially Scott and Barbara - deserve our utmost thanks for your generous efforts
  16. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I shall leave the debate over proper usage of Irish naming standards to the Scholars. The point that I was trying to make in the O'Carolan example is that you need not fill in the search argument completely. Only a portion is needed and it is not case sensitive. "Carolan", "O'Carolan", "o'c", or even "car" will all return the O'Carolan tunes although the later two examples may pick up some stray tunes with "o'c" or "car" in the title or author.
    We all thank you for your continued support!

michael
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Car 59 where are you, Baby you can Drive my Car... you know, those tunes!!!