Balzer Jungfrau (Norwegian waltz)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a very nice waltz, but I know little about it. I learned it from the ABC at Richard Robinson's Tunebook site, where it is listed as "Norwegian". The title sounds more German to me ("Jungfrau" is German for "maiden" or "virgin"), though, and the tune itself would pass for a German waltz as well. Supporting the Norwegian attribution, though, is the fact that the tune appears in a published harp score of "Northern Dances -- A suite of four tunes from Norway and Sweden" (link).

Either way, this is an enjoyable lilting tune which sounds good on my Mid-Missouri.

X:42
    T:Balzer Jungfrau
    O:norway
    R:Waltz
    M:3/4
    K:D
    B AG| \
    F2D2 D2| GF GB AG| F2 DF Ad| f2 d2 d2| \
    c2 Ac ef| ge cA Bc| d2 BG BG| AB AG FE|
    F2D2 D2| GF GB AG| F2 DF Ad| f2 d2 d2| \
    c2 Ac ef| ge cA Bc| d3f ec |1 d3 :|2 d4 |
    |: B2|\
    A2 f3A| B2 gB gB| A2 f3d| A4 A2| \
    Ac e2 d2| c3B A2| G2 BG BG| AB AG FG|
    A2 f3A| B2 gB gB| A2 f3d| A4 A2| \
    Ac e2 d2| c3A fe| d3f ec|1 d4 :|2 d3 |]

Martin
  2. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Beautiful tune, Martin, and well played as usual! Thanks for posting it.
  3. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Nicely done and I agree that the song has a certain quality that suits your flat-top nicely. It's almost reminiscent of a music-box tune except with a bit more of a driving rhythm as befits an actual waltz (balzer?).
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks Ghost/Brent -- "Balzer" in this case I think means "from a place called Balz", although I note that Balz (in German at least, don't know about Norwegian) also refers to courtship.

Whatever it means, and wherever it's from, it's fun to play and not difficult: try it.

Martin
  5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Interesting. My family's dentist when I was growing up was named Dr. Balzer so I guess that was one of those place-name surnames. Cool.
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    bump