Schottis från Lima aka Schottis från Transtrand

1. Susanne
    Susanne
    I haven't posted for AGES and haven't visited for ages either. I've been so busy with studies and not been doing very well either, and the few times I've played music it's been melodeon or fiddle. But it's time to warm up these babies, winter with dry cold air is coming and they need to be played and they need some love and care, so here's a Swedish tune that I like playing on the fiddle. Lima and Transtrand are two small places close to each other in the region of Dalarna where I come from. I don't think people can agree whether the tune is from Lima or Transtrand, really...

I realize I play it more like a hornpipe Will have to do it again later..the schottische way.
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Good to see you back Suzi. Don't forget to keep your instruments humidified over the winter...
  3. Susanne
    Susanne
    Will do How is the work with that Foley going?
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    I expect to have it back to a 10-string Cittern by mid-December. I had to give up on getting two extra GOTOH tunsers to match what was on it and will replace all the tuners with gold Grovers. Also adding a Gold Allen 10-string tailpiece.
  5. Susanne
    Susanne
    Brilliant!!!! I'm sooo curious to see and hear it!!!!!!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love the minor sound to that tune. That's one I'd like to learn, and with my husband claiming Sweedish roots, it would be good to know a few songs from that neck of the woods.
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    I have dots if you need them.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes please!
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Suzi, you manage the longer scale better than me!
  10. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hehe, Tosh, my excuse is that it's a short scale OM.. Perfect size for a tiny lady such as myself.
    I'm on my way to work now but will upload dots somewhere during the weekend.
  11. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Great tune, Suzi, and great job of playing it! Can,t wait for those dots.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Welcome back Suzi, you know I can never resist a schottis. My ancestors must have been secretly Swedish.

Here's the abc:

X:1
    T:Schottis från Lima
    R:Schottis
    H:\"Aven i Am
    A:Lima, Dalarna
    Z:hn-schottis-8
    M:C|
    K:Dm
    A=B^cd e2ef|d2de ^c2^c2|A=B^cd e2ef|(3gagfg a4|
    A=B^cd e2ef|d2de ^c2^c2|defg age^c|dfe^c d4:|
    |:agef g2g2|afde f2f2|e^cA^c e^cA^c|defg a4|
    agef g2g2|afde f2f2|e^cA^c e^cA^c|dfe^c d4:|
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Awesome, David. Your instruments go so well together. You've created the perfect ensemble.
  14. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Thanks David. You beat Suzi by providing the ABC's! Now I can can get to work on learning this lovely piece of music. If I can play it half as well as you, I'll be a happy man.
  15. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    David, great playing as always and thanks for posting the abc. I had a bash but I sound a bit stiff compared to Suzi's swing version, which I like!

I played all the right notes, but not in the correct order!!!! When you're used to G and D all the time, you sometimes forget there are other keys!!! Here's the amended version...

16. Susanne
    Susanne
    Brilliant job, lads!!! Tosh, that 10-string toy sounds lovely! Your first version was very weird, but it made a cool version!
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, would you share the chords you came up with?
  18. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Susi, the 10 string is brilliant and Paul did a wonderful job on it. Now if only I could play it properly!!!! The first version is the avant garde version!
    I've sent this to a couple of members already but I think it's worth sharing with everyone.......Eric Morecombe...my musical mentor!!!

19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara, I can post a Finale file: http://www.box.net/shared/j4vlnm30o1 when I'm home later this week but in the meantime I'll make an educated guess as to what I played.

l Dm A l Dm A l Dm A l A Dm l
    l Dm A l Dm A l Dm A l Dm A Dm Dm :ll

l Gm Gm l F F l A A l Dm Dm l
    l Gm Gm l F F l A A l Dm A Dm Dm :ll
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, I would love it if you could record this "the schottische way". I'd love to hear just what a schottische rhythm sounds like when compared to the hornpipe rhythm. I tried looking it up, but can't quite get my mind around it!
  21. Susanne
    Susanne
    I'll try that this afternoon!
  22. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's the next attempt, this time on the Flatbush mandolin. I'm not sure I can explain the difference between hornpipe and schottische rhythm, both have the accent on the 1st beat, but with slightly different emphasis. I just felt this was more danceable...
    Sorry for a few mistakes, I just didn't want to record it again.