Windows Movie Maker question

1. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Can I synchronize recorded backup (made in Audacity) with a (Movie Maker) video clip of me playing melody?

Can somebody give me a brief description of how this might be done?? I'm a complete novice at this.

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hopefully, someone can answer your question, as I'm sure it can be done. I use a Mac, and use Garage Band to record the audio, and iMovie to record the video, and sync them up in iMovie. I'm sure it can be done in the programs you are using too.

What I do is multitrack the whole tune in Garage Band, create an MP3. Then, I video myself playing the instrument(s) along to the mp3, using iMovie. I usually have the mp3 looped to repeat, on my mp3 player on my computer, and turn on the camera, and have to record many takes before I get those I can stand! I import the mp3 into iMovie, and then sync up the various vidoes to the mp3, then I can detach the video's audio, and use the better sounding mp3 audio that I made with Garage Band, as the audio for the movie.

It took a LOT of iMovie Help reading on my part, to figure out how to do it, and I'm sure I've just barely scratched the surface on what is available in video editing and movie creation, in my iMovie!

Good luck!
  3. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    A lot of work is what that is hehe. Doghearty, I am at the same crossroad as you. This is where I find Mac more superior to pc. Audacity does everything for audio, but most video programs on PC lack the ability to properly sync the track to video. So what I will do until I find a better program is either: *Record both my rhythm guitar and mandolin playing, sync them to one track as an mp3, then play the mp3 while "pick syncing" (fake playing) to the prerecorded track while running the camera. This way you only have to do one take (nerves will not make you mess up). * or my preferred method, record the rhythm to audacity, adjust the speed if needed, amplify it a bit to adjust for mic volume loss, then hit record on camera, and play with your rhythm for real to get your video!.
    either way, I put my finished video into "Pinnacle Studio 9" to edit video with effects and label.
  4. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Fake playing, hmmm. I could see some real comedic hijinks using that method. Yeah, I think probably simplest to get background down on Audacity and then video record playing along with it.

We'll see what happens. ;-)
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hmmm.... I don't consider it fake playing! I'm just syncing video of me playing, with audio of me playing... maybe not the exact same take, but I was playing it, not faking it!
  6. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    "Pick Syncing" is how a lot of artists do their music videos (saves time and money). Barbara, if you never said that was the way you like to do it, I would never had guessed. your vids dead on with the audio!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My reason for doing it, is that the audio mix of the various instruments sounds better, if made in the Garage Band, rather than having the 'final' soundtrack for the video, a live recording through the video program, of my playing along to the 'backup' mp3 created, and then played through the speakers...

However, many of my videos are just straight up a video recording of my playing the tune, no backup, no Garage Band, just the audio & video recorded of me playing. That's a MUCH simpler way to do it!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Doghearty, this is the procedure I use on my mac, however something similar should be possible on a pc. First, I video with my digital camera (which has really bad sound) and also record at the same time to a multi-track recorder. (You could use audacity instead.) The backup for my video is added later onto the multi-track recorder. Then everything is loaded into my mac. The video and audio both go into iTunes and are synched and matched up in iMovie. The bad video sound is discarded after using it to line up the good audio with the picture. This way, if I ever get a good take (it takes a while sometimes) the video is already in synch with the good audio and I just have to get them to "line up" in iMovie.
  9. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Great Idea! I have a "Creative" Sound card so with audacity I can "Record what I hear." meaning not with a mic but what ever is playing, So I guess I can record the video's audio while it plays, then mute the sound somehow and import the rhythm track into it and line them up, export as an mp3 then put it back with the video and just try to sync it with the video I guess.