The Otterīs Holt & Michael Cramerīs

1. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Hello dear social group members,

Iīd like to suggest a set of reels: The Otterīs Holt & Michael Cramerīs (or "The Burren")

The tunes are not played on the mandolin, but since the bouzouki is involved I thought it would be suitable for the mandolin forum, anyway.

T: Otter's Holt, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Bmin
    e|:fBBA FEFB|(3ABA FB ABde|fBBA FEFA|
    |(3Bcd cA Bcde|fBBA FEFB|(3ABA FB ABde|
    |faaf effe|1 dBBA ~B3e:|2 dBAF B3c||
    |:d2 fd Adfa|bfaf effe|(3ddd fd Adfa|
    bfaf egfe|defd Adfa|bfaf efde|
    fBBA FEFA|1 (3Bcd cA B3c:|2 (3Bcd cA ~B3e||
    "Burke's Variation B Part"
    |:~d3f a2 fa|(3baf af effe|d2 fd adfa|
    bfaf effe|dcdf a2 fa|(3baf af effe|
    fBBA FEFA|1 (3Bcd cA B3c:|2 (3Bcd cA ~B3e||

T: Burren, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |: B2 | ~A2AB AF~F2 | AFAd ~f3g | afef dBAB | dBAF EFDE |
    ~A2AB AF~F2 | AFAd ~f3g | afef dBAF | Adfe d2 :|
    |:e2 | f2ed BA~A2 | dcdf a2^ga | g2fg edBc | dBAF EFDE |
    ~A2AB AF~F2 | AFAd ~f3g |afef dBAF | Adfe d2 :|

Sorry for the bad video. But the sound is much better than the image quality, because it was recorded separately.

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Michael! I already play the Otter's Holt, so now just need to learn off The Burren - fingers crossed I'll get some time to post something in the next few days. Thanks for posting these!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sound, solid and perfectly traditional all around Michael. Very nice how the zouk joins in mid-measure. That low whistle player sure does a terrific job.
    Partly this links with this other Otter's Holt discussion where I combined it with High Road to Linton, but I might try The Burren as well.
  4. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Very nice! Your backup style is wonderful! How is your bouzouki tuned? I'm guessing it's not GDAE like a mandolin. The low whistle and bodhran are also rather good.

I'm tempted to post Otter Holt, but of course I do it with yet different tunes than either you or Bertram...
  5. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks for your kind words, all together. Iīm glad you like it. At the day we recorded this we met for the first time in this constellation to see how it would work together. It looks like we will stay together. I really like the low whistle.

Bertram, I havenīt seen your thread, though Iīve made a search after Otterīs Holt before posting my thread, but oddly enough, I got no results. Otherwise Iīd have put my video into yours. Was not meant as rivalry. Thanks for your comment.

CelticDude, the bouzouki is tuned GDAD. I always come back to this, though Iīve tried different tunings. But this is "the" bouzouki-sound for me. I really appreciate your comment, since I havenīt played much bouzouki in the last few years. I became more of a melody-player, but itīs a pleasure to be back to accompaniment.

Howīs your dog, Jill?
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for asking about her Michael! She's much better now - still moving slower than she used to but gets around fine, and is back to her happy, playful self. We just have to be careful to not let her jump up or down from furniture, and have to avoid stairs. So fingers crossed I think all is well.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow! You guys sounded great and the fun you were having showed in the video. Thanks
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Michael, thanks for posting the video of your group. Now that's how people should play music together--wonderful total band sound and a full sound too for just 3 people. Love your backup on the zouk--reminds me of Ale Moller backing up Aly Bain.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent set... and I was only in the Burren last week.... (sigh)...
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I took the liberty to shuffle the sequence a bit to be able to add Highroad to Linton at the end - and look what it does... If you ever need a magic tune set to make the sun come out on a rainy Saturday - this is it!

11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done there, Bertram!
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Jill, you should try the full set - will stop the constant rain in California
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    janey mack, I'd love a wee bit of rain right about now - we're having a wee heatwave here at the moment, supposed to get up to 90 degrees today here in Oakland!
  14. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks very much Stuche, Don and Eddie. Wow, to remind sombody of Ale Möller is more than I could have hoped for, since Ale is one of my absolute favorite players.
    Great idea Bertram, Iīll definitively try to add "Highroad to Linton" to the set. Very nice tune. It fits in excellently and gives the set a push.
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Bertram we need a raindance - 113F in LA yesterday...
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Talk about a hot mandolin player... my thermometer read 114 when i started practicing this afternoon and me and the mandolin stalled when it hit 115...and they were all slow songs too!
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    we need a raindance

Try playing the set backwards