Maple Sugar

1. Tavy
    Tavy
    This is a really great Canadian fiddle tune... I'm surprised it hasn't been posted before really... listening back though I'm not completely happy with the lack of "swing", feels like it needs something more, but I'm not sure what. Oh well maybe some of you kind folks will post your ideas

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is the ABC for it:

X: 1
    T: Maple Sugar
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    Bc|:d2 de dcBA|B2 Bc B2 cB| BAAB c2 BA|cBBA B2 Bc|
    d2 de dcBA|B2 Bc B2 cB| BAAB c2 BA|1GDEF G2 Bc:|2GDEF G2 FG||
    K: Dmaj
    A2 AB AFAd| f2 fe d2 cd|e2 ed c2 Bc|d2 cB AFGB|
    A2 AB AFAd| f2 fe d2 cd|e2 ed c2 Bc|1d2 dc d2 FG:|2d2 dc d2||

Neat and tidy playing Tavy, and a nice slide back to G after the B part!
    Re "lack of swing": I think this tune begs to be played with a pointed hornpipe rhythm - either that, or much faster with the long quarter notes pronounced with triplets or doublestops. The latter is what I would probably do (and maybe will, but I am still busy with another project).
  4. Tavy
    Tavy
    Thanks for the ideas folks, I learned this version from Jay Buckey's site, but after a bit of surfing yesterday I managed to find the original version by Ward Allen - wow what a difference! I have Tab for Ward's version now, so I think I may have to relearn this one

In the mean time here's Ward's version:

5. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Will you share your tab Tavy?
  6. Tavy
    Tavy
    "Will you share your tab Tavy? "

I believe Bertram's tab is more or less the Ward Allen version, the version I learned is here.

HTH, John.
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Got that one. Thanks.

Being Canadian I grew up hearing Ward Allen and Don Messer. Brings back memories of watching a small black and white tv with only 2 snowy channels.
  8. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Jim, was that CKLW, Channel 9, Windsor, Ontario by any chance?
  9. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    No, it was CBOT Ottawa. CBC. My Dad would watch the hockey games every Saturday night. I don't remember when the Don Messer show was on.
  10. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I grew up in Detroit and CKLW-AM had one of the strongest signals in North America. And CKLW-TV aired Hockey Night in Canada, it was my Dad's favorite. He was born in the REAL Canada, Winnipeg, where the Provoncial bird is the Mosquito and summer is 2 weeks of tough sledding!
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    No wonder he moved South to Sunny Detroit...
  12. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    balmy by comparison.
  13. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    CKLW The voice of the beaches. THE BIG 8. Carried well all the way to Manitoulin. Every car radio on the beach, pick your beach, was tuned to that station. Now it's just another talk show station.
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes, but you know what they say about those tropical border towns...
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Here goes on a Kimble A... nice bouncy tune, just a few flubs...

16. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nice goin' aye!
  17. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Well, back in theDay, CKLW was THE rock-n-roll radio station. They had all of the hits, I'm, talkin' '50s and 60's here kids, before the US stations aired them. they had a couple of disk jockeys that rivaled Wolfman Jack, to be sure.
    Too bad they had to change the format but guess that is the time we live in.
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's excellent Eddie and John. It's next on my list of tunes to learn.
  19. Tavy
    Tavy
    I really like that Eddie: lovely and bouncy!

I hope this doesn't scare you all too much... but I found some abc much closer to Ward Allan's original than I had before:

X:3

T:Maple Sugar
    C:Ward Allen
    M:2/4
    L:1/16
    Z:Transcribed by Bruce Osborne
    K:A

[A2e2] [c2e2][d2e2]|[A4e4] [A3e3][Af]|[A2e2][d2e2] [c2e2][B2e2]|[c4e4] [c3e3][de]|[ce][Be][A2e2] [d2f2][c2e2]|
    [c2e2][B2e2] [B2e2][c2e2]|[d3f3][ce] [c2e2][Be][ce]|[d2e2][c2e2] [ce][Be][ce][de]|[ce][Be][A2e2] [c2e2][d2e2]|
    [A4e4] [A4e4]|[A4e4] [A3e3][ce]|[d2e2][c2e2] [ce][Be][A2e2]|[c4e4] [c3e3][de]|
    [c2e2][B4e4][c2e2]|[d3f3][ce] [c2e2][G2B2]|[B2e2][A2e2] [Ae]GAB|[A2e2]:|
    |:z2 C2D2|[E4A4] [E3A3][FA]|E2C2 E2A2|[c4e4] [c3e3][ce]|[B2e2][A2e2] [d2f2][c2e2]|
    [c2e2][B2e2] [B2e2][c2e2]|[d4f4] [c2e2][Be][ce]|[d2e2][c3e3][Be][ce][de]|[ce][Be][A2e2] C2D2|
    [E4A4] [E3A3][FA]|E2C2 E2A2|[c4e4] [c3e3][ce]|[B2e2][A2e2] [d2f2][c2e2]|
    [c2e2][B2e2] [B2e2][c2e2]|[d4f4] G3A|[B2e2][A4e4][B2e2]|[A2e2]:|

K:E

z2 G2A2|B4 B3c|B2G2 B2e2|g4 g3f|e2B2 c2B2|
    f4 f3g|f2d2 c2d2|e4 d2c2|B2G2 A2c2|
    B4 B3c|B2G2 B2e2|g4 g3f|e2B2 c2B2|
    f4 f3g|f2d2 c2d2|e4 e3f|e2:|
  20. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Wow! Tavy, that's a fantastic version. It will take a year to learn it but it's fantastic. I can't wait for the first video of this version.
  21. Tavy
    Tavy
    "It will take a year to learn it but it's fantastic. I can't wait for the first video of this version. "

Me neither, but I can tell you now I won't be playing it!!
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Gee, I almost missed this one! thanks for the great version Tavy! This is the first tune i actually learned on the fiddle first and transcribed to mandolin rather than the other way round. I'd post my fiddle version but that would just be mean.

23. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Wow I did not know this tune had been posted! I kind of stopped following the song a week thing last year when I got busy at work trying to get set up to retire. I did so that's over with.

I love this tune Maple Sugar -- I think Ward Allen was one of the greatest fiddlers EVER and this is his greatest tune. Anyway in this clip I am playing along with a great Canadian fiddler named Melissa St.Goddard who plays with a band in Manitoba. BTW Maple Sugar was the only pure fiddle tune to make the Top 40 Pop in the USA -- in circa 1956.

24. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow, Bernie that was great!
    Fine job on a catchy tune.
    Oh, and GREAT right hand work!
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie, welcome back! That was awesome! Do you think your hat had anything to do with how blazingly fast you are able to play it?
  26. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks for the nice words -- when I first learned it I probaly played Maple Sugar 20 times a day -- until could play along with Ward Allen. But its REALLY a fiddle tune -- hard to do it justice on any other instrument. And even if I lived to be 100 I could never come close to matching his sublime sense of timing -- so sad that he ruined his own health with such a reckless lifestyle and died at 49.
    Canada has/has had some awesome fiddlers but I think Ward was the dean.
  27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was great, Bernie~you kept up very nicely!
  28. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I thought I'd add this earlier effort on the F-2 -- it has a little more sustain and also this is a little slower (pretty close the the tempo Allen used to use). The earlier on the F-5 was too fast to retain the full flavor (its maple syrup after all). In this one I'm playing with recording of jam from New England I think. Sorry about the big missed note it is kind of jarring! I'm still working on this tune -- maybe I'll have to try again on the fiddle.

29. Eddie Sheehy
    Bump for this week...
  30. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Great tune. Reel good tune.