The Abyssinian Pilgrim

1. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Here is a tune that I might need some help placing the origins of...

The headwear is probably a good indicator of the earnestness here...
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I haven't heard this one before, but it seems to fit into a family of multicultural tunes with Irish rhythm and East-European/Oriental scales. These are often contemporary compositions of people with one leg in each of both cultures respectively, and these tunes turn up here and there at sessions and other informal musical gatherings (I remember seeing/hearing one "Reel Noz" and one "Glen Kabul"). The notation is often characterized by a wild mixture of flat and sharp accidentals you normally don't see elsewhere.

Unless you can backtrack the tune from the sources you got it from to the composer, chances of finding him are not good. For instance if the sheet music was in a bottle that drifted from the Indian Ocean to a beach near Perth, WA...
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice playing Harry, that's a great tune I'd love to learn, you wouldn't happen to have abc's or notation for that would you?
  4. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Bertram, you are a clever man

David, thanks for the kind comments but do you really need the notation? I've already seen you play this tune (more or less...)

5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Harry, nice playing and good sound - whatever the origin.
  6. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That's interesting Harry and well played. I can't find any reference to it, even if you google it you just get directed here! It would be good if you could post an abc of it as David suggested....
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Tosh I'm afraid it was all tongue in cheek, there is no Abyssinian Pilgrim, it is indeed "The Blarney Pilgrim" with some superb accidentals by Harry.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    accidentals, occidentals, orientals, and australientals...
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    What a dipstick, I know I'm going senile, I even forgot my sister's birthday this week.....
  10. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    That went way over my head as well.
  11. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    So you're saying the accidentals were on purpose??

Fun, BTW, very nicely arranged and played.
  12. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Nice work David on spotting my ruse!

I thought it might be fun on having a slightly cryptic tune spotting mystery to solve.

Points too go to Bertram who, while not naming the tune, proceeded to lay out exactly how I had gone about my work!

Thanks all
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A similar tune is The Kashmir Road:

Research confirmed it to be an 11th century tune from the middle east, later adopted by the Irish as has been demonstrated in this earlier discussion. Further research might reveal other cross-cultural origins as well .... bwwWWHOOOHAAHAHAHA
  14. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Very cool Bertram, I know that tune pretty well but I doubt I would have picked it.

Alright we'll bury some poor tune under a Bossanova style next week.....