Blarney Pilgrim

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's a fun jig that I've been working on. About the B part...I think I subconsciously subscribe to the Navajo beliefe that every work of art should contain at least one tiny flaw.

Here is the ABC file.
    X: 1
    T: Blarney Pilgrim, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmix
    |:DED DEG| A2A ABc| BAG AGE| GEA GED|
    DED DEG|A2A ABc|BAG AGE| GED D3:|
    ded dBG|AGA BGE| ded dBG|AGA GAB|
    g2e dBG|AGA BGE|B2G AGE| GAG G3:|
    A2D B2D| A2D ABc|BAG AGE|GEA GED|
    ADD BDD|ADD ABc|BAG AGE|GED D3:|

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good job Marcelyn, sounds great.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Marcelyn, and that mandolin sounds lovely as well!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good Marcelyn - I didn't know about that Navajo belief, but now I can rest assured that I must be a great artist (things like the extra note in the B part happen to me all the time)
  5. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice, Marcelyn! That's a tune one of the guys at our very irregular session played one of the first time we were there.
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Very nice!!
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent. I always get the feeling that mandonator is looking at me.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job, both of ya'll! Don't ya just love new toys?
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent! That tune sounds like it was made for your banjo, David.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Janey mack that Mandonator looks like it's a lot of fun to play! Great stuff there David!
  11. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    A Mandonator .... weren't they also some kind of Prehistoric Dinosaur?

Anyway, hope you don't mind me tagging a few versions of tunes onto the end of some of the threads here?

Better late than never eh!

Cheers
    Dick
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dick, very nice! Please, contribute to all the threads you'd like to! It doesn't matter when they were originally posted!

Nice rendition, and a beautiful mando! It's nice to mention in your 'discussion' a little bit about the instrument you are playing...
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like that version Dick. I'm going to have to figure some of those fun extras out for myself.
  14. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, it took a while, but here is the blarney Pilgrim, plus Pipe on the Hob as a bonus. These have been favourite multi-part jigs for a while now.

Warning: Pipe on the Hob is where I prove that, just because you CAN do a thing, doesn't mean you should...
  15. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Fantastic Dana, I want me one of them there lectric mando thingys. Nicely done.
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I like it. It certainly is a genuine banjo-killer.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I can picture Paddy in sunglasses, thundering past Ben Bulben on his chopper.
    So cool I'll have to get my winter coat out.
  18. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Cool, CD!!! That's what I've been wanting to hear.
  19. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Thanks all. Yes, this lectric mando thingy has been way too much fun. Forget the chopper though; I just want the red-haired groupies...

Banjo killing does sound like a bonus. Although my guess is many traditional jams frown on an electric instrument. I know of one where the host states point blank to leave all amplification home.

Curiously, a coworker who's been following my YouTube postings doesn't "get" why I would switch from the nice, clean, acoustic sound to heavy metal jig. I tried to explain, "'cuz it's fun!". I think he wanted some high-brow esoteric artistic reason.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I like it, but I would advise you should not try taking it to a bluegrass jam, there would almost certainly be tears before bedtime.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    As for esoteric artistic reasons, we can always borrow modified versions of Douglas Adams' Vogon poetry critique, like:

...metaphysical imagery and rhythmic devices, which seem to counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the musician's passionate soul which contrived through the medium of the tune structure to sublimate this, transcend that and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other. And one is left with a profound and vivid insight into...

22. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Careful Bertram, someone might use that as an excuse to offer up actual Vogon poetry.
    Then there really would be tears before bedtime.

I always liked Ford Prefects observation "If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working", the next time your jam or session in a pub is being drowned out by chatter see if it ain't true
  23. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Oh, No! It was bound to happen, I suppose. In any social group, the fans/victims of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy 'trilogy' will eventually reach critical mass. Results are extremly unpredictable due to the effects of Inifnite Probability. God help us All.

Michael
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?

Harry, we know that this observation applies for the people of Kakrafoon, and that brings us to Disaster Area and thus back to Dana's rendition of Pipe on the Hob. Imagine the chatter going on in concrete bunkers some 30 miles from the pub
  25. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    An acoustic mandolin and electric mandolin duet version of this very popular session tune. I recorded the acoustic track quite some time ago and I'm tending towards a more laidback speed nowadays. Maybe an aesthetic choice - more likely just a case of several more miles on the clock. (I'll be playing everything at slow air speed in another few years...) Anyway, I found it quite a stretch to match the speed with which I played the original acoustic version...

Skeletal dots and tab follows for those who find that sort of thing useful...

26. John W.
    John W.
    The dueting mandos sounds very nice, Aidan, especially the B part.
  27. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This works really well, Aidan. It's a great tune - I always love the pedal D in the third part, which sounds particularly good in the duet.
  28. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    @Richard - "pedal D"? I heard someone mention a pedal note once but I didn't know what he meant. What's a pedal note? (NB - no feet were injured in the playing of this tune.) :-)
  29. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I understand it as a repeating note which is played in a sequence between every other note, Aidan. Off the top of my head Margaret's Waltz has a lovely example in the b part but it is found in a lot of Scottish music. Used by pipers and fiddlers regularly. Gives a variation of drone effect but not a continuous note like a drone, bur repeated alternately with the other notes in the phrase.
  30. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Ah... so, in a phrase like G2 BG dGBG which starts off a multitude of reels in G and appears as a phrase in the body of the tune in many more, the G note would be a pedal? Every day's a schoolday and therefore the happiest* of our lives!

*NB - my schooldays were very far from my happiest days. I'd like to have words with the eejit who first coined that phrase. :-)
  31. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    What he said...

The classical guitar composers (using classical in the precise sense - Sor, Giuliani etc) used pedal a lot because it creates the aural illusion of sustain on a non-sustaining instrument. This applies doubly to the mandolin, of course, although that is obviously not why it is used in fiddle tunes (eg both the Paddy Faheys you have just recorded have short pedal passages in the B part).
  32. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Got it...