Tabhair dom do Lámh

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Tabhair dom do Lámh aka Give Me Your Hand - composed in the early 17th Century by Ruairí 'Dall' Ó Catháin, a Blind Harpist.

Played on a Weber Tamarack #2 mandocello - mando to follow...

2. Eddie Sheehy
    X: 1
    T: Give Me Your Hand
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Gmaj
    D2|E2 G2 G2| G4 D2|E2 G2 G>A| G4 D2|E2 G2 G2| G2 A2 B2|B2 e2 de| B4 AG|
    A2 A2 ed| B2 B2 dB|A2 AB AG| E4 D2|E2 G2 G2| G4 D2|E2 G2 G2| G4 D2|
    E2 G2 G2| G2 A2 B2|de dB AB| G4 D2|E2 G2 G2| G2 A2 B2|B2 e2 d2| B4 AG|
    A2 A2 ed| B2 B2 dB|A2 AB cd| e4 dB|d2 d2 e2| g4 ed|e2 e2 (3geg| a4 de|
    g2 g2 de| g2 g2 de|g2 g2 (3aga| b6| b2 b2 b2| b4 ag|a2 ag ab| a4 gf|
    e3 f2 (3gfe| d2 d2 g2|B3 d cB| A4 (3cBA|G2 GA Bd| =f4 ed|e2 e2 g2| e4 dB|
    E:lw400
    d2 d2 g2| B2 B2 dB|A2 AB (3cBA| G6 ||
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Oops! Apparently I played it in C since the Mandocello is tuned CCGGDDAA an Octave below a Mandola.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Vega Cylinderback 205 Mandolin with Tamarack Mandocello courtesy Garage-Band-In-A-Bag...

5. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nice Eddy. Didn't Planxty do that one. It sounds very familiar.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Eddie! Are you having to do your recording in a closet these days?
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I bet there are still rooms in Eddie's house we haven't seen yet - just like Hogwart's.
    I also seem to remember this tune from Planxty but never got around to learn it. Maybe this time.
  8. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    There may even be rooms that Eddie hasn't seen yet. this is a nice one, and it's on the list.

monkeyhead
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Planxty did it as a set with Raggle-taggle Gypsy. Actually I started out in the living room and the house morphed around me... that darn moving staircase again...
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I recently purchased a Zoom H4 for recording but I haven't unpacked it yet...
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Didn't Barbara once have a staircase that would change directions from one video to the next?
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    No, one was an "up" staircase, the other was a"down" staircase (also used by left-handed persons).
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Now I'm having an M.C. Escher moment...........
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great. I've been curious to find out what a mandocello sounds like. I'm going to go practice this song. Thanks for posting.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    M.C Escher moment

Yep, that's another home recording challenge Eddie has to live up to yet:

16. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I'm afraid to say that gave me Vertigo 'cause i can see where that's heading!!
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    How did they get into my house?
  18. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Eddie, it's the Bowie, he can go anywhere, even Outer Space.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Following the modified-gravity gist of this thread, I have tilted my house (I wedged the Ultra-complete Collection Of All Irish Tunes Ever under one corner) before starting my recording:

I like the F near the end, because it shows that the whole tune is not really G major, but G mixolydian (therefore, the notation could be in the key of C and no accidentals needed).
    I used to hear this tune a lot on a Chieftains record - Paddy Moloney's pipes squealing away at the F - therefore I could almost practise from ear.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was great!!!! Do tell how you managed to tilt your house (for real!)
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Barb, but it's too complicated to explain all that fiddling with a sub-quantum nil-o-grav generator linked to an anti-isotropic Carson-Heaviside matrix submerged in a Bose-Einstein tunnel trap...
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Of course, the Bose-Einstein Cloud.....it's all so simple now.
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ok, you brain-i-acs.... quit talking over my head!!!
  24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    It's actually quite simple, Barbara, the Bose-Einstein Trap or Condensate is a collection of atoms cooled to near Absolute Zero which then form a new form of matter in which the bosons 'condense' to the lowest quantum state.........
    oh, my. sorry
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    oh yeah, that!
  26. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    But don't take my word for it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2...ein_condensate

you do the math

minkeyhead
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    Take no notice Barb. They've been drinking whiskey again...
  28. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    no, Eddie, They've been drinking whiskey..STILL.
  29. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I was looking to see if this piece had been posted yet and nearly missed it as it is under its Irish title. I have played the melody first then with chords as suggested by David James.

30. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I first heard this tune as played by what would soon be Planxty on Christy Moore's 1972 solo album "Prosperous", and then shortly afterwards by Planxty on their debut album and single, each time paired with the song Raggle Taggle Gypsy. Wikipedia attributes the tune to Ruaidri Dáll Ó Catháin (c.1570-c.1650, although those dates are pretty much guesswork).

The reason why I have decided to record it is that I've come across a nice arrangement (three voices plus chordal backing) by David James at www.tiompanalley.com.

Link to PDF sheet music

I've recorded it with effectively a full band line-up: three mandolins, two tenor guitars and bouzouki. Melody in unison on the Ajr and tenor, low harmony on Ajr and bouzouki, high harmony on Embergher bowlback, rhythm on tenor guitar. David James gives a tempo of 70bpm, but that sounds far too slow to me, so I've played it at 120bpm, still somewhat short of Planxty's speed.

It's also one of the tunes at the BBC Virtual Session, at about the same speed.

Martin