Banks of the Ohio

1. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Heck, why not make it 3 psycho lady killers. Willow Garden, Tom Dooley, and Banks of the Ohio. special thanks to Marcelyn for infecting me with that ear-worm a few weeks ago. hadn't thought of that old tune till she mentioned it.

m
  2. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That's a nice one Monkey-Head. I've been working on a version of that too. I'll try recording it tonight. No promises.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Them were the good old days... if she didn't want to marry ya she was toast. Not like today where grown men cry and talk about suicide... Jeez, they're only women...

Can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.... what's this world coming to...
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    That sounded nice to me Mike. Think I'll add that to the list.
  5. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice playing Mike!
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, Jim and Mark, thanks. I am wearing my Tide Loads of Hope Tee-shirt. FYI,Ttide has a Huge truck staffed by volunteers that goes out to disaster sites, like Nashville or New Orleans and does laundry for free. if you have never been evacuated, and i have twice, clean clothes is the last thing on your mind when you run out the door. they do a good deed and i support them just by buying a cool tee shirt.
    all the best

m
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I tried for an hour and a half to record this tonight. No go. Maybe tomorrow night.
  8. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    There does seem to be a theme going. Now all we need is a mando version of the Doors and the Talking Heads...

Eddie, am I sensing some issues here?

Well played, BTW. It's nice to here these songs done with mandolin playing the vocal parts.
  9. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, i really wasn't trying to do it up 'post-worthy' , just noodling around, maybe 'cause there was no pressure it turned out sorta ok.

m
  10. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Michael, I understand, but I'm trying to do it with tremelo, which I'm not very good at. I want to make sure the first tremelo recording I post is halfway descent. I feel like I'm finally getting the knack of it after 19 months, but I still need practice. So my hour and a half recording session wasn't a total waste ~ it just became and hour and a half practice session that I happened to record.
  11. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, you're way ahead of my, i have not yet tremeloed. (is that a verb?)

m
  12. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Here we go. My first post with tremelo. I don't know what happened at the end of this . . . Movie Maker kept cutting it off a split second early.

13. Eddie Sheehy
    I tremoloed with fear... nice job guys...
  14. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin. that was nice. like your playing way up the fretboard, sounded great!

monkeyhead
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great job Mike. I like the chording a lot.
    Martin, your tremelo sounds even and natural. Hope we hear it in more tunes down the road.
    I've been working on this one, so we'll see when it comes together.
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Isn't someone going to sing it?
  17. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Marcelyn. It's finally starting to feel natural.
  18. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Sing it?? Eddie, that'll get me kicked off the site forever!! i'm already in dutch!!

monkeyhead
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    dutch?
  20. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Um, that is (was?) an old expression used by the Franciscan Brothers at my catholic high school for being "in trouble", usually meant detention for an hour or so writing essays about door-knobs or some such.
    Usage: "You're In Dutch now, Mister Culliton!" <cringe>

monkeyhead
  21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Like your new nickname, monkeyhead.
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    HEY, that's my name, don't wear it out!!

mh
  23. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I had to murder this after work today. I did it fingerstyle which is not what the mando is for but was fun to try......
  24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Tosh, nice, clean finger picking, i'm still trying to cross-over from guitar style, too. thanx for posting!
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Tosh, I like that style of playing, especially on your particular mandolin. It really rings out, almost like a guitar.
    Here's a version of this song from Sam Bush's Homespun lessons. It's on my Flatiron A5-2.

26. Eddie Sheehy
    Very Bluegrassy Marcelyn, well done.
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    This takes me back to my "Dylan" days... Dearstone D1A and a blues harp...

28. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Marcelyn, the flatiron sounds just great as does Eddie's Dearstone. Mike's and Martin's f-styles sound great too.....maybe I will get Paul to build me an A5 as my next one.......next year! Eddie, there's nothing wrong with Dylan and the mouthharp is a nice touch. I do love the Baez version of this song.....
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Okay, Eddie--two instruments at a time--that's just showing off. Why not pluck some bass with your feet as well?
    Sounds great! I get tangled up just talking or singing while playing.
  30. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Nice tremelo there Marcelyn!! glad you posted since you brought it up :-)
    Eddie, you sounded more like Steve Earle than the Bob. nice and bluesy. guess i'm not the only one with a harp holder,eh?

monkeyhead
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Awesome, all of ya'll! Great finger picking, great double stops, great tremolos, great harmonica! I want to learn to play the harmonica!
  32. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Marcelyn, I like the double-stop tremelo. I'm not there yet.
  33. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddiie, nice. Looks like you got a haircut too!
  34. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Many nice versions and good picking above.

Here is my first stab at crosspicking:

35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred.... that was GREAT!!
  36. Susanne
    Susanne
    Lovely Manfred! Well done!!!!!
  37. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, top stuff, we don't see much crosspicking round here.
  38. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Manfred! so, that's what you've been up to! missed your posts for a while then you blow us all away with this! very cool beans, indeed.

minkeyhead
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent Manfred. Wunderbar!
  40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I had to have a go at this, just a bit of improvisation.

41. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, that's not 'just a bit of improvisation' but also reflects your outstanding musicianship.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. My version is from Rick Williams' Jam Tunes book, which was one of my first mando tune books. I had tried it off and on, but this thread encouraged me to practice it some more.

Mike, you are right, I was absent for a couple of weeks. We were on vacation in a travel trailer. I had only a very slow internet connection through the cell phone network. I was able to read what was going on here but could not watch the contributions. So I'm still trying to catch up on that.
  42. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Don't you just wish you could put OS' talent in a bottle and drink it?
  43. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Would that be like (Old)Sausage Gravy 'n Biscuits??
  44. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:3003
    T:Banks of the Ohio
    C:anon.
    O:USA
    Z:Transcribed by Frank Nordberg - http://www.musicaviva.com
    F:http://abc.musicaviva.com/tunes/usa/...f-the-ohio.abc
    M:C
    L:1/4
    K:C
    CCE|"C"E4|"C"z CCD|"G"D4|z DDE|
    w:I asked my love to take a walk, to take a
    "G"F4|z DGF|"C"E4|"C"z2 EF|
    w:walk, a litltle walk. Right down be-
    "C"G4|"C"z EFG|"F"F4|"F"z CCD|
    w:side where wat-ers flow, down by the
    "C"E4|"G"z D3/4D// DD|"C"C4|z|]
    w:banks of the O-hi-o.
    W:
    W:I asked my love to take a walk,
    W:to take a walk, a litltle walk.
    W:Right down be side where waters flow,
    W:down by the banks of the Ohio.
    W:
    W: And only say that "you'll be mine,
    W: in no other arms entwine
    W: down beside where the water flow,
    W: down by the banks of the Ohio."
    W:
    W:I held a knife to her breast
    W:as into my arms she pressed.
    W:She cried: "my love don't you murder me!
    W:I'm not prepared for eternity!"
    W:
    W: And only say...
    W:
    W:I wandered home 'tween twelve and one.
    W:I cired: "my Lord, what have I done?
    W:I kiled the only girl I loved,
    W:she wouldn't take me and be my bride."er me!
    W:I'm not prepared for eternity!"
    W:
    W: And only say...
    W:
    W:
    W: From Musica Viva - http://www.musicaviva.com
    W: the Internet center for free sheet music downloads.
  45. crisscross
    crisscross
    I once dreamt of becoming a Bluegrass string virtuoso. But as they say, live is a road of constant disillusion.
    First I gave up on BG banjo and traded my resonator banjo for a nice openback to play clawhammer.
    Then I resigned to the fact that I'll never be a decent flatpicker. I still practice flatoicking solos on the guitar once in a while, but when recording, I use my dreadnought for rhythm purposes only and play the solos on my Tele.
    Today, when I had a look at some Youtube videos to get some inspiration for the mandolin, I decided not trying to copy the playing of those great Bluegrass musicians who play this tune, but try a little different aproach.
    BTW: In the electric guitar solo, I played a little lick from a 1970 song.
    Anyone recognise it?
  46. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    And it worked out wel Crisscross! No immitation required. Do it your own way is the way to go. It sounds good!