Stacks of barley

1. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hi people!!!

Well, today my new toy arrived!!!!! I'm already completely in love with this thing!! What a tone, what a sound and so small and handy and easy to play!!!!!!!!!!!! Whhoa, I really hope Eddie will be as happy with the Foley as i am with his Gypsy!!!!

Here is the first video result. It's a tune we used to play at the session in Clonakilty every Tuesday night. Oh, it sounds sweet on the OM. Irish music will never be boring again.

I'm sorry there is some weird noise behind the tune. My laptop is acting weird, and sounds like that. It does need to be looked at, I need to fix some other stuff anyway. I guess I will have to get used to recording with the iMac (I just don't think the built-in mic is as good as on the laptop).
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    SUSI!!! beautiful toy and playing!! i've been waiting for that!
  3. Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Mark Robertson-Tessi
    Nice!
  4. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks guys!
    OH YES!! It's a beauty both in looks and in sound. I love this thing!
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Awesome! Lovely playing and a gorgeous OM as well!!
  6. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    YAY on the OM, Susi!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, that sounds great! What is the scale on that OM? I notice that you are playing it with 'mandolin' fingering... playing the 5th fret with your ring finger. On my OM, which I think is about 22.5 inches, I use my pinky for the 5th fret, and jump up to the 7th fret when needed.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    It's 20". Gypsys Music - a Cafe Sponsor - made it.
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hehe, Eddie, thanks for sparing me the work of searching through the new place for something to measure it with.. (we just moved in and most little things are packed down very disorganized in boxes)
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sweet!
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Susi, you sure picked up the octave mandolin quickly. Congratulations on your new toy. I learned this tune from a local fiddler who almost always plays tunes a little bit different than everyone else. Now I do too.

12. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Ah great to see & hear your Tenortone in action.
    Mine won't be arriving here for a couple of weeks yet!

Anyway, here's yet another Hornpipe.

I'll have to start straying away from my comfort zone soon though & trying some of these unfamiliar Old Time tunes!

13. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:19019
    T:Stack Of Barley, The
    T:Little Stack Of Barley
    R:Hornpipe
    C:Trad.
    O:Ireland
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=120
    K:G
    gf|"C"efed "Bm"BcdB|"Am"A2AG "D7"AcBA|"G"GFGA "Em"BABd|"Am"e2A2 "D"A2 gf|
    "C"efed "Bm"BcdB|"Am"AGEG "D7"AcBA|"G"GFGA "D7"(3Bcd Ac|"G"B2 "C"G2 "G"G2:|
    |:dc|"G"BGBd "G"g2fg|"A7"agfg "C"e2 (3def|"Em"gfed "Bm"BABd|"Am"e2 A2 "D7"A2 Bd|
    "A7"(3efg "B7"af "Em"gage|"G"dBAG "D7"AcBA|"G"GFGA "D7"(3Bcd Ac|"G"B2 "C"G2 "G"G2:|
  14. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Here's a hornpipe I found in the SAW "Other Tunes" file (Part 7). A very melodic tune playable by all experience levels.

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job, Mike!
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a great sounding mandolin and very nicely played too!
  17. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    David, Michael, - Thanks for your kind words gentlemen.
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    How did I miss this gem? Very nicely done Mike. Maith a' Bhuachall...