Blake's March

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I saw Diptanshu doing this tune in another thread and had to have a go at it. It's by Norman Blake of course. There's tab here on the Cafe too.

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was some fine playing on a very catchy tune, David. I'm going to have to add this one to my list.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff OS, that was awesome!
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    This one has been on my list for awhile. Great playing, OS. It's a real infectious tune.
  5. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Nice stuff. I love Norman's stuff. Great playing, as always. Whenever there is a new tune I anxiously await your post. Behind the scenes I am working to figure out how the heck to join my video with my audio. Maybe this weekend I'll have some time to really focus on Movie Maker and sort it out. You do a great job on the music obviously, but also the tech stuff.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    .tef file for TAB's and Std Notation

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1273582909

thx Barbara.
  8. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    OS I am encouraged to see the look of focus on your face and furrowed brows because if you were one of those who looks completely neutral when playing that well, as though you're thinking about what you're going to have for supper, I'd have to kill you.
  9. jamann
    jamann
    OS, very nice, I really enjoyed that one. I'm a fan of Norman Blake so I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for that!
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent as always David. I've had the music of this tune for a while but just never got around to trying it... no excuse now...
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks, I'm looking forward to seeing your versions - I found this one fell under my fingers a lot more easily than I expected, although as Martin noticed playing it up to speed on camera was not so simple. It's a great little tune that is really enjoyable to play.
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This is a really cool tune. Don't let OS's high bar dissuade you from learning this tune. Everyone should learn this tune. It's really fun to play. Submitted for your approval my slower and sloppier version of Blake's March.

Here's one with tenor guitar.

13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful version David, you got a great jaunty rhythm feel. It really is fun to listen to.
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey David, that's great. I'll work on it.
  15. jamann
    jamann
    I'm a big fan of Norman Blake and I've always liked his Natasha's Waltz CD. This is a great tune off that CD. I had to learn this one so here's my attempt at it in my usual way. This was a fun tune to learn and play. Hope you enjoy!
    Thanks OS, for starting this thread. I've enjoyed!

16. jamann
    jamann
    David, I really dig your tenor guitar version. Well played! I like the tenor too!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    janey mack there's a feast for the eyes and ears now - well done sir!
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That rocks on the mandonator, excellent.
  19. Chuck Naill
    Thanks for posting, I need to learn this one. BTW, all the recordings were very nice to listen to. I really liked the tenor guitar.

chuck
  20. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I finally got around to recording this one. Here's my arrangement for the mandola. With only one clam! LOL

21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Awesome, sounds great on that instrument - that's a nice mandola.
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was great Shaun, I like your arrangement and that mandola sounds fantastic, I may have to get one of those.
  23. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I finally got around to recording a version of this wonderful Norman Blake tune. I was fooling around with a Monroe style version of it and threw that in the second time through. Gilchrist Model 5 (the oval's still in GDGD Grieser tuning).

24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice and relaxed playing, Don - and great tone, of course.
  25. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Man..I need to learn this tune! Great job Don!
  26. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great playing all, love the different styles and instruments....I too need to learn this.
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Top stuff Don, I like it.
  28. jamann
    jamann
    Don, That was @#$%^&* Great! I really liked your Monroe version second time through. I've got to learn that.
  29. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, guys. jamann, the Monroe stuff was fun to apply to this tune. On the runs you play each note twice (except for the first one) switching on the upstrokes. It's one of Monroe's tricky things that gives his playing such a lift.
  30. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Sounds great Don, especially the second time through. Switching on the upstroke is a technique I'm still working on. It sounds great in Pike Co. Breakdown and sounds great on Blake's March too!!
  31. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, I'm in standard tuning in the video. I was working on it in Grieser tuning (I like how that sounds) but never got it going.
  32. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Blake's March
    C:Norman Blake
    L:1/8
    Q:472
    M:4/4
    K:G
    z6 GA |: "G"BG DB, G,B, DG | "C"EC EG "G"DC B,A, | G,B, DG EF GA | "D"B2 A2 A2 GA | \
    "G"BG DB, G,B, DG | "C"EC EG "G"DC B,A, | "D"G,B, DG FG AF |1 F"G"G G[BG] [B2G2] GA :|2 F"G"G GG G4 | \
    |: "G"bd' d'd' d'd' d'e | ab ba g2 gf | "C"ed ef ga ge | "G"Bd dd d2 dd | "C"de ee ef e2 | \
    "G"AB BB Bd B2 | "D"GA AA AB AF | "G"FG G[BG] [B4G4] :| \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  33. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's another late entry from us while we are working on a few others today. I went with the mandola on this one. This is our full band. Wish it was May again.
  34. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    thank you for the tune. Started at slow speed and after a few rounds it works nicely. Do a bit of eavesdropping now and see what I can learn from the experts. Grand
  35. Tavy
    Tavy
    Just come across this thread and tune for the first time. Wow folks that's some tune!!

Definitely one to learn (yet again!).