Hard Times Come Again No More (Stephen Foster)

1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    This falls nicely on the mandola (and fits my mood after a day of snow on May 2nd). Sorry I don't have abcs or tab for this. It's pretty simple to figure out by ear. This is in the key of C.

"Many days you have lingered around my cabin door, Oh hard times come again no more."

Gilchrist H-1 mandola
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    You've stirred my soul Don. I remember James Taylor doing this with O'Conner, Ma, and Meyer.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff there Don!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I might add my vocal version when I am back home.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Eddie & Jill. Bertram, I look forward to hearing you sing it.
  6. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Another great tune and the mandola sounds sweet. Thanks!

Eric
  7. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Don I've always loved this song since I heard Willie Nelson sing it on Darol Anger's Heritage album. Your rendition has made me love this song even more. Thanks!
  8. cjprince
    cjprince
    What a great song. Check out Mavis Staples' version on "Beautiful Dreamer : the Songs of Stephen Foster". Lots of good tracks on that disc.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks guys. Emmie Lou Harris (Emmie Hair Lewis) sings it like she means it too.
  10. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I really dislike this song. The tune is nice enough, but the lyrics, sheesh. Give me murder, sex, mayhem, and drinking, even laments, remorse and regret--- but this one is just pathetic.
  11. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great pickin' Don! I'm really enjoying the mandola videos!
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I like pathetic songs, they really resonate with my own life Good job, Don, this is a very pretty tune.
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Shaun, your new dola made me want to get mine out and play it more. Thanks! OS, is there a bluegrass version in the works?
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    Here it is with more enthusiasm than skill... Played on a K&S Mandola.

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Eddie, you added your own flavor to that one. Here's my bluegrass version Don, in the much underused mandolin key of F. I guess there's more than one arrangement of this tune, Bob Dylan seems to do one like this.

16. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent version David. I got a little confused with the melody of another song. I'll get it right in time though. Thanks again Don for bringing up this gem.
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Eddie, nice chord melody on the tune. David, wonderful as always. Sounds sweet in F.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's a banjo version, for all you banjo-lovers out there:

19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I don't care what anyone says, I'll proudly proclaim... I LOVE banjos! Great picking!
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very American approach OS, gives it a nice relaxed attitude

I first heard this song from Mary Black & De Dannan, representing the Irish adoption of the song, and Regina's and my rendition follow that line. I added some charcoal-on-paper drawings of German artist Kδthe Kollwitz (1867 - 1945). I hope I didn't get carried away too much by GarageBand's features in the last verse

For the audio-only version, there's a download here.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram & Regina.... that was awesome!
  22. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Bertram: Not only a spectacular performance but a timely message as well. Well done.
  23. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bertram and Regina, thanks. That was a beautiful rendition. Amazing backup on the octave.
  24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OK, Bertram & Regina, this one HAS to be on the S-A-W CD everyone has been suggesting. Tremendous playing and harmony!!!
    5 *****'s

michael

BTW when is that CD going to be cut?
  25. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    That was terrific!
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent rendition!
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thank you so much Ladies and Gentlemen

There went more time in dealing with GarageBand and iMovie than in the actual playing of instruments, but I just can't resist an idea burning a hole in my head
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, what great harmony.
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Old Sausage, your banjo version rocked!

Bertram, yourself and Regina set the bar high with that one - great stuff altogether!!
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks again, Marcelyn and Jill. I appreciate the tickertape parade yr'all giving me
  31. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Hard Times Come Again No More
    C:Stephen Foster, 1855
    L:1/8
    Q:100
    M:4/4
    K:Eb
    EF | "Eb"G2 GG GB2G | "Bb"FE EF "Eb"G2 "Ab"c3/2B/ | "Eb"B2 G2 GE "Bb7"F3/2F/ | "Eb"E4 z2 EF | \
    "Eb"G2 GG GB2G | "Bb"FE EF "Eb"G2 "Ab"c2 | "Eb"B2 G2 GE "Bb7"F3/2F/ | E4 z2 | GA | \
    "Eb"B2 zB B2 "(Ebdim)"=AB | "Ab"c4 "Eb"B2 z2 | "Eb"e2 B2 "(Ab)"c2 B2 | GG "F7"F3/2E/ "Bb"fe aa | \
    F2 EF | "Eb"G2 GG GB2G | "Bb"F3/2E/ EF "Eb"G2 "Ab"fe | aa c2 | "Eb"B2 G2 GE "Bb7"F3/2F/ | \
    E6 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

X:2
    T:Hard Times Come Again No More
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    C:Stephen Foster, 1855
    Q:100
    N:What more can you say?
    K:Eb
    EF | "Eb" G2GG GB2G | "Bb" FEEF "Eb" G2 "Ab" c>B | "Eb" B2G2 GE "Bb7" F>F |
    w: Let us pause in life's plea-sures and count its ma-ny tears While we all sup sor-row with the
    "Eb" E4z2 EF | "Eb" G2GG GB2G | "Bb" FEEF "Eb" G2 "Ab" c2 | "Eb" B2G2GE "Bb7" F>F |
    w:poor; There's a song that will lin-ger for-ev-er in our ears; Oh! Hard Times, come ag-ain no
    "Eb" E4 z2 || GA | "Eb" B2zBB2 "(Ebdim)" =AB | "Ab" c4 "Eb" B2z2 | "Eb" e2B2 "(Ab)" c2B2 |
    w:more. 'Tis the song, the sigh of the wea-ry; Hard Times, Hard Times,
    GG "F7" F>E "Bb" !fermata! F2 EF | "Eb" G2GGGB2G| "Bb" F>EEF "Eb" G2 "Ab" !fermata!c2 | "Eb" B2G2GE "Bb7" F>F | "Eb" E6 |]
    w:come a-gain no more. Ma-ny days you have ling-ered a-round my ca-bin door Oh! Hard Times, come a-gain no more.
    W:2
    W:While we seek mirth and beauty and music light and gay
    W:There are frail forms fainting at the door;
    W:Though their voices are silent, their pleading looks will say--
    W:Oh! Hard Times, come again no more.
    W:
    W:3
    W:There's a pale drooping maiden who toils her life away
    W:With a worn heart whose better days are o'er:
    W:Though her voice would be merry, 'tis sighing all the day--
    W:Oh! Hard Times, come again no more.
    W:
    W:4
    W:'Tis a sigh that is wafted across the troubled wave,
    W:'Tis a wail that is heard upon the shore,
    W:'Tis a dirge that is murmured around the lowly grave,
    W:Oh' Hard Times come again no more.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Eddie Sheehy
    Worth a revisit...
    Played on a Phil Crump C-III Cittern and a Vega 305 Mandolute 10-string.

33. justkaron
    justkaron
    Wonderful Eddie! Instruments perfect for the song.