Muddy Creek

1. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    This is an old-time tune from the Blake/Ostroushko recording Meeting on Southern Soil. Two other board members recorded it and I decided to have a go at it as well. I learned it right after the recording came out 6-7 years ago but have never found anyone else that plays it and that recording is the only example of it I have. Don suggested we bring the tune to the group so below are our three examples:

From Don Grieser

From Luckylarue (not sure if he's a SAW member yet)

My attempt
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's the link to the TEF file, but the second phrase of the 1st part isn't right (after the high A). They play a lower phrase there like the three amigos above play it. The rest of it is pretty accurate. They play this in harmony on the recording which is really fine.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=

I did a slidey open string ringing version of the B part (a la Compton) just for a different feel; the other two amigos play it more like the recording. It's a good one.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I really like this tune... only Don's & SGarrity's videos show up on my screen. Any chance for notation, ABC, TAB, etc? Or are we going to have to learn this by ear? Is it a 'traditional' old time tune, or one more recently composed?
  4. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I fixed the video problem, must have copied something wrong. I'd really encourage people to at least try learning this one by ear. It's a fairly simple tune that lays under the fingers pretty easy. If you really need the tab, I just found this on the 'cafe tab section. This is more like the recording than the Tabledit version.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/muddycreek.txt

It is a traditional tune and on the recording they actually say it's from Missouri. As Don mentioned, the play it in harmony on the mandolin and mandola. I could listen to and play tunes like this all day!
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    here is the link ti SN and TABs
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...4&d=1267551688

mc
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I really do like this tune.. It IS a simple tune, and I figure would be easy to learn by ear, but rather than having to put it through an amazing slowdowner, I figured I'd play it very slowly, so those who want to learn it by ear, can figure it out! Am planning to post it up to speed soon. I'm playing this on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice playing, Oval Hole Gang.

What brands of mandolins are you guys playing?
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    A body / Oval holes ~~~ RULE!!!!
  9. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Nice video Barbara. That will definitely make it easier for folks to learn by ear!!

The first video is Don playing his Gilchrist Model 1
    The second video is Luckylarue playing a Gavin Baird A4
    And the third video is me playing my Kimble A4

Mandolins rock, but oval holes RULE! ;-)
  10. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Shaun, thanks for posting the videos. Don - sounds great, of course I'm now coveting your A1!
    On a semi-technical note, with this tune (and a lot I play), I try to "beef" up the sound by playing the open d and a strings as much as possible. I think Butch Baldassari said something like it's ok to hit those open strings that get in the way.
    Great tune - one that seems to really roll right off the fingers. Keep posting!
  11. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    This is a very nice tune! Thanks for posting it. I have that CD, will have to give it more a listen.
  12. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I've been working on this one ever since Shaun put it up. I finally got it down pretty well. Still some mistakes, but this is the best i got! Not nearly as good as the first three!

13. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    I like it Kyle and I think it's interesting to hear/see the slightly different interpretations - the whole point of the SAW I guess. Anyways, a lot of fun.