Cuckoo's Nest

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I learned this from a Norman Blake CD I have called "Fields of November". I always liked it, it has some similarities to the Sailor's Hornpipe we were doing this week, which is what reminded me. There is pretty good tab on Mandozine for this.

2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OS, that was my favorite Norman Blake ,um, tape I ever had but have long ago lost it. (OK i'm showing my age), You really nailed it and brought back a lot of great memories.
    thx
    Michael

BTW it was casette NOT 8 track, ok?
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Michael. By the way, what's a cassette? I think my grandad had one
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well, I had cassettes too. They were invented shortly after the grammophone. Apparently, you did not see the times when young people stuck a pencil through one of the wheels and swung the cassette round and round to rewind it and thus save the batteries in their cassette players? Did you miss out...
    Nice tune, btw - I hear the resemblance with Sailor's too.
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    And phones had cords and actual rotary DIALS, no kidding. i still have a vast collection of vinyl LP's which sounded so great on the old tube amplifiers. the new cd and solid state technology just can't duplicate that sound, alas.
    Cheers
    Michael
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I remember when you actually had to get UP to change the channel on the TV!
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    HAHAHA, Yes! even worse, I remember when we got our first TV. Oh,my. Is it time to back to the home ??

i cannot stop laughing,now.
    Thx everybody, after a 2 day battle against the elements (heavy snowfall) here in Illinois i really needed that!!!
    Michael
  8. Daci
    Daci
    Love that one. That's one of the first tunes I learned on the hammer dulcimer.
    For it's time,the lyrics of Cuckoo's Nest were quite racy.
  9. polymerchm
    polymerchm
    And for years, I didn't know that when Dorothy got to Oz, everything was in color.
  10. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Since I couldn't find this version on the session.org, I wrote it out in ABC if anyone is interested:

X:1
    T:Cuckoo's Nest
    Q:1/4=120
    V:1
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    z4 z2 Ac |:d2 Ac df ed |c2 AB AG AB |=cG EG ce dc |
    BG AF GA FG |AF DF Ac de |fd AF GA FG |AB AG FD EC |[1
    DA CD A2 Ac :|[2DA DD A2 FG ::AF DF AF DF |AF Ac d2 dA |
    GE =CE GE CE |GE GA B2 BB |AF DF Ac de |fd AF GA FG |
    AB AG FD EC |[1DA DD A2 FG :|[2D8 |]
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks! You guys that can write stuff in ABC just amaze me!
  12. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Ok here's my take on the Irish version of The Cuckoo's Nest.

Yes I know there are lots of versions, but this one looks a bit like this:

X: 1
    T: Cuckoo's Nest, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Gmaj
    dc|B2 BA GB dg|fd cB ce dc|B2 BG (3EFG AB|c2 A2 A2 dc|
    B2 BA GB dg|fd cB ce dc|B2 BG (3EFG Ac|B2 G2 G2:|:Bc|
    dB GB dB GB|dB cA G2 AB|cA FA cA FA|cB AG G2 BA|
    G2 Bc dg ~g2|fd cB ce dc|B2 BG (3EFG Ac|B2 G2 G2:|:Bc|
    dg gf ga bg|af d^c d2-de|=fe de ^fg af|gf dB ce dc|
    B2 BA GB dg|bg dB ce dc|B2 DE FG Ac|B2 G2 G2:|
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Dick! I must learn that one now - I've been on a bit of a hornpipe kick recently!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dick, I think you are out to set a record for the most number of videos posted in a time period... all wearing the same shirt! Awesome playing, and a very beautiful sounding mandolin!
  15. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Yes indeed, it's a wonderful Mandolin, but I've been waiting for about 30 years to get my hands on one.

I'm sure it's going to inspire me to tidy up my playing, as well as play lots more Mandolin!

Cheers
    Dick
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Keep the tunes coming, Dick. I really enjoy your style and am hoping to absorb some of that authentic Irish ornamentation if I listen to enough posts.
  17. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Hard to believe, but here's a version I recorded 4 years ago. Based on the banjo playing of my friend Butch Robins:

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz