Angeline the Baker

1. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Just learned this one. Lets hear your version.

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good choice, Kyle. I like this tune, and I play it a bunch of different places - here they all are:

3. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Awesome OS!! You were all over that neck!! I hope to play like that one day! Too bad we don't live by each other!
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    OS is awesome. A tremendous student of the instrument. It'd be great fun to sit down and pick with him.

Stephen Foster has some really nice tunes that are great fun to play in an ensemble setting as well as solo.

Here's a couple of guys that are well worth aspiring too, as well. I particularly like the easy tempo approach and feel they have goin' on. There are so many fine pickers in the world...

5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, probably best to aspire to those guys, they kick my butt all over town
  6. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Kym is one of the hottest pickers out there. Joe is salting the mine. None of us can play it that good!
  7. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    That little trio should do a cd of their own. They've some particularly sweet, imho, interplay between the three of them in the last 3rd of the tune. I really enjoy hearing, and trying to, create that same or a similar interplay between pickers. Wish we could do that synchronously, online, as there could be some fun times and interesting results. I'd much rather do it face-to-face but our geographical distances hinder that. (sigh.)
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You're quite right Joe, it's the one frustration of this otherwise excellent but asynchronous technology.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's my idio-synchronous and bi-synchronous attempt...

Played on my Katechis and Silber Cedar Mandola...

10. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Marc Silber was involved in a mando design and construction? That's very cool. Didn't know that. Doesn't surprise me as he's been involved in instrument buying, selling, and trading for almost 40 years now. Very knowledgable fellow.
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    I couldn't resist. I love playing this tune. This one being a typical oldtime tune, I don't bother about making it fancier. I just miss a clawhammer banjo in the background.

12. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Susi thank you! I have been practicing a lot. But here in the last couple weeks I have been so busy that I haven't had much time to practice, maybe about 30 mins a day at the most. You did a great job too!!
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    Opps, I accidentally deleted the post with the praises about your playing, Kyle!! But just to show the world that I really enjoy seeing your good works and progress, here it is again: you ROCK!!!! Thanks for your compliments too.
  14. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I was just looking at some of my videos and totally forgot that I finally got a version of this tune that I can live with. A couple of "mellifluous improvistation" in there also....Not sure why the B minor chord works in there but it seems to work. No, I'm really not staring at something to the left of me all the time...just a habit!

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very good - I think the B minor's a good substitution for the G chord, especially as the melody's on a B note there. Nice ideas.
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks, Sausage!
  17. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well, mine isn't the best, but I can live with it. Here it is...

18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice indeed - is that from tab?
  19. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Yes it is. Here's the tab... 3rd one on down the list. It's backwards though, B-part first, A-part second.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Chris - I think a lot of people play it that way, I have a recording by the Nashville Bluegrass Band, and they start with our B part. That's a nice arrangement you found, with a lot of reusable licks.
  21. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I've been playing Angeline since I started learning the mando.

Here is my novice version.

All are sounding good.
  22. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Slowed down enough to incorperate hammer-ons. I never play it much faster, because of the fingering.

23. billkilpatrick
    my old mac has just died - i'm using my wife's portable for the moment - good news is i can see vimeo videos (hi, chris - great playing!) - bad news is i haven't figured out how to post videos using this computer and the reallly bad news is that i haven't figured out how to activate the spelling check yet ...

great tune - i was hoping it would be an official SAW selection. does anyone else hear this as more of a rockin' little number than a gentle, sleepy oldtime?
  24. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    i'm not going to embed this, but this is the group Crooked Still, playing Angelina Baker. Not slow, and i must say that cello gives it another dimention as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi9f3kEdkGg

I've also heard several sets of lyrics for this. i like this about the best.
    I'd call it an infectous tune. Like flop-eared mule, it has no end.
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    I like it as a foot-stomping Yee-Haw tune...
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I had another go at this, more along the lines of some of Kym Warner's ideas, but it seemed to me to come out more as a kind of raga type improvisation this time. Not that I know anything about raga beyond going to a Ravi Shankar concert once. A lot of ways to play this tune.

27. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    Very nice, OldSausage. I like your mando's sound. I was recently in 1st Quality Music in Louisville and the mando that caught my ear was a 515 Eastman.
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Jim. It was the best one in the shop where I bought it too.
  29. billkilpatrick
    david - just added it to my "favorites" - sooo good - why am i thinking of dwayne allman?
  30. Eddie Sheehy
    Superb, David.
  31. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's a brief version of Angeline the Baker based on a pdf of an Uncle Eck Robertson transcription which can be downloaded from Lyle Lofgren's Remembering The Old Songs site.

32. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's a rendition of the original Angeline the Baker as Stephen Foster wrote the melody which sounds different than what is commonly played today. You can hear a brief snippet of the tune performed by the 2nd South Carolina String Band at CDBaby.

A pdf of this version can be downloaded from Free Scores dot com.

33. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Angeline The Baker
    C:Traditional
    L:1/8
    Q:436
    M:4/4
    K:D
    z6 fg |: "D"ae (3faf e2 de | fd e[cz] d2 fg | a2 (3fgf e2 d2 | "G"[AD][BD] [BD][dD] [B2D2] fg | \
    "D"[aA]e (3faf ed de | fd ec d2 de | fd ec "G"dA B2 |1 [AA]"D"[AA] [AA]B A2 fg :|2 [AA]"D"[AA] [AA]B A2 [dD][BD] | \
    |: "D"[A2D2] [B2D2] [d3D3][AD] | [B2D2] [d4D4] dB | A2 B2 d2 g2 | "G"[AD][BD] [BD][dD] [B2D2] AA | \
    "D"AA BA d2 de | fd ec d2 de | fe df "G"ed (3BdB |1 [AA]"D"[AA] [AA]B A2 AA :|2 [AA]"D"[AA] [AA]B A4 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  34. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's Angelina Baker or Angeline the Baker played on a 1987 Flatiron mandola

35. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That's a really upbeat and awesome version of one of my favorite songs. Is that an open tuning? Love that mandolin too!
  36. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks Loretta. The instrument is a mandola in standard CGDA tuning
  37. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Wow! Thanks for letting me know it's a mandola. I'm pretty green knowing these instruments. You're so proficient and comfortable with your fretting, I thought it must have been an open tuning! You're very, very good.
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's an updated version:

39. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's great, David. Although you were already quite good on your first version above, this is in a different league. And so is your new mandolin.
  40. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I hadn't thought of the ATB tune in years. I will try to pick up on it this weekend. David, I noticed the style of play from your 2009submittals differ somewhat from yesterdays. I like them all but this latest is 'Thile-esque' in nature. Very smooth and powerfully subtle. I love this style but I struggle with in learning it. I tend to play a more 'Monroe' type mandolin. Any tips? I thought I may take the Mike Marshall lessons via internet to see if that may help. Great stuff!!!
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much Manfred.

Sasquatch, yes, I've taken lessons with Mike and learned a lot from them and from all of the videos on his site, it's certainly one of the things that has influenced me to play more in this style, and I would recommend it to anyone. In my band and in jams, I still play a lot more in Monroe style, but the intimacy and even just the basic demands of recording these videos seem to lend themselves to this more intricate approach. But I'm starting to wish I could do it more like this on stage - maybe in time. I think some other players do a similar switch when in the studio. It's hard to get an interesting and enjoyable recorded tone when you're playing real hard and fast.

And I'm paying attention to the whole sound I'm making, rather than just getting the tune and sort of squirting it out. I try to be saying something, maybe, not just talking. I fail a lot too, but I think that's okay - I think if you can hear that you're not where you want to be, you've still got a chance of getting there. When I think I sound just fine, that's when I'm really in trouble
  42. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thanks David! The Mike Marshall school has seemed interesting to me for some time but I was apprehensive. Glad to hear and see some results produced from it. I am now SOLD! I am joining after vacation next week.
    I still love Monroe mando. MY favorites right now are Mike Compton and Ron McCoury. Matter of fact I have drove myself crazy trying to produce the Comton sound on "Land of Lincoln"
    But I also like Marshall, Thile, type as well. The intricate approach to tunes, the letting the music flow with feeling and letting 'it' speak to the hearer is also my goal. I want the listener to forget that I am there with a piece of shaped acrylic gliding across metal strings and to only hear melody. Regardless of the style, this is my goal.
    Thanks for the input and the videos, I have gleaned quite a bit from you so far.
  43. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's our run at this classic. Move over Paula Dean, I think Angeline has you.
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That was great! I especially like when the black cat jumped out of nowhere right in the middle of the video!!!
  45. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    That's Stewball. He usually sits between us through an entire practice without complaint. I guess he either didn't like the tune or had somewhere he needed to be. He's a wildcat for sure. He's invisible in that shadow.
  46. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Cool special effects! (And some nice picking too!)
  47. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That's just wonderful!
  48. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I've been messing about with cross tuning on the tenor - AEAE. Works well for these melodically simple old timey tunes. The same of course works for the mandolin