Week #410 ~ The Marquis of Lorne

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Marquis of Lorne, which is also known as The Sligo Fancy and The Flowers of Atrim. It's had a run as an "Other Tune".. This is a hornpipe, and I LOVE hornpipes!

I've found several variations of the tune's notation and abc:

Here are two settings on thesession.org

Here's one on abcnotation.com

Here's another on abcnotation.com from John Chambers music book

Here are some videos:

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Was just going to post a version of this tune here but I notice Barbara has already got it up there as the first one of the examples! I'm actually wearing the same sweater right at this moment, though I can assure you all it has been washed a few times since the video clip was recorded!

Many thanks Barbara. Hope to see some more versions up here in the next few days.
  3. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My usual solo mandolin version.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a really cheerful tune, and very straightforward to play. Barbara has already posted my old version -- it's the third one in her opening post. Played on a banjo uke which I had briefly on loan at the time and set up in mandolin tuning. Somehow, the uke tone suited the tune.

Martin
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I struggled with this tune when it came around as an Other Tune and then forgot it. Ten days ago I discovered that it meanwhile became an Official Tune of the Week. So I decided to practice it serious enough to make a decent recording now. May be I should play more Hornpipes.
    The submissions above helped a lot. Nice new take, David. Clear tone as ever.
    And thanks, Barbara, for adding the version of Susan on the hammered dulcimer.

6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice! I like your rhythm. Hornpipes are great. However many you play already, yes, you should play more.