In A Taynuilt Garden

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a lovely wee tune I recently heard from a couple of fiddle-playing friends. The village mentioned in the title, Taynuilt, is near Oban here in my home county of Argyll. The composer is Charlie Gore, who is the man responsible for the Scottish Fiddle Music Index and a fine composer in his own right; other than this I know nothing else about the tune at present.

It is arranged for two fiddles but I played it on a mandolin I completed a year ago in 2015.

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff John and that mandolin sounds lovely, like a bell!
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wonderful tune and wonderful sound from your mandolin, well played. I stayed at the Brander Lodge in Taynuilt way back in 1993, lovely area. Do you have dots for your arangement?
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thank you, both. David, I have uploaded the score to the Thread For Social Group mp3 Posting over on the forum. Here, I hope, is the link!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1473243847
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Another pleasantly pacifying pastoral piece from Argyll. The sound is outstanding (who needs a Sobell?)
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's the right stuff John. Great sounding mandolin(s) too!
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Wonderful sounding mandolin John and playing on such a peaceful tune. Thanks for sharing.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for your lovely recording, John, and for the dots to this beautifully relaxed air. Here is my recording, as a duet of tenor guitar and mandolin taking turns on the melody.

Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin

Martin
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, and very fine pictures too, Martin. The tenor sounds great.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    For a slightly different approach, "who needs a Sobell?", I played this in C on my mandola. I must confess the admiration I have for the talented gentlemen above who can sight read these harmony parts. It was quite an effort for me to muddle through the harmony part which I'm sure I didn't play as written. Great job lads and thank you John for sharing this tune and the dots with us.

11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great version, David. I really like the blend of instruments you have used. Re the harmony part - you played a part which worked really well with the tune, so I would say this becomes the D Hansen arrangement!
    Always interesting to hear how many ways players can use to put their stamp on a tune, while still letting the beauty of the original have the final say.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Excellent work Martin and David.
    I didn't have you in mind, David, when I mentioned Sobell, but you countered it well anyway