Week #369 The Westcoaster

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This week was a close one, but it looks like "The Westcoaster," a hornpipe by fiddler Angus Grant won by a hair.
    There's ABC notation, sheet music, and discussion at thesession.org...
    https://thesession.org/tunes/1490

Here's the ABC...
    X: 1
    T: The WestCoaster
    R: hornpipe
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    |B,A,)| G,B,DG Bdef | gdBG FGDB, | CEAB cBAG | (Fd)AF DCB,A, |
    G,B,DG Bdef | gdBG FGDB, | CEAc BAGF | ABA G FG :|
    |Bc)| dg (3ggg agfg | dg (3ggg agfg | ea (3aaa ba^ga | ea (3aaa (ba) (3gfe) |
    (dg) (3ggg ag(fg) | dgfg dBGD | A,ABc BAGF | ABA G FG :|

And if you want tab, you can copy and paste that ABC to this site...
    http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    here's the wonderful version played by Anna Massie...

3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Already in as another tune very recently, so my version, coupled with "Angus Grant's March" is here:

4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice pairing of tunes and both are played beautifully! (Love the tasteful backup as well.)
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done John, a fine set of tunes well played, what more could you ask for? Here's my try at The Westcoaster at a leisurely tempo more appropriate for my abilities.

6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I call that easy listening David... A cd with all that kind of stuff and my evening is complete. Well done. john, you play it in a really scottisch way.. Excellent playing. I'm still practising...
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, both. David, you have produced a really enjoyable version here and your backing is excellent too. Must be some Scottish gene lurking there somewhere?
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two great versions by two of my favourite players around here - and now I look forward to Luurtie's relaxed and effortless virtuosity. I especially like the melodic variation in John's rendition, which I'll surely try to adopt, and the dynamics in David's. Unfortunately I'm still too busy finding the right notes to do all that!
  9. Francis J
    Francis J
    John and David, I'm not sure which of ye influenced my recording most!, but I hope some of the quality is evident. This is my take on the Westcoaster. Another great Scots tune.

10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine bit of playing, Francis. It's a great tune to get the fingers going, and very popular with fiddlers, who enjoy the 2-octave arpeggios Angus has employed in this teaching tune.
  11. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Lovely versions from all. Here's another attempt, played on my Breedlove Cascade and backed on whistle and guitar.

I thought the tune might pair well with the late Paddy O'Brien's hornpipe "The Maid of the Mist," so I made a set of them.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great playing, Bob. Lovely blend of the mando and whistle and subtle guitar backing. Your transition between the tunes is beautifully seamless too.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    So many lovely versions here, nicely played everyone!
  14. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    After all those incredible versions of John, David, Francis and Bob Michel it's time for my Lazy-Sunny-Holiday-evening-on-the-beach with-the-sound-of-the-sea version of mine...
    Don't mind the poor camera sound

15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Hendrik! If that's the sun setting, you are indeed a Westcoaster.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very cool Hendrik. The NW coast (I assume - looks like Noordzee, not Waddenzee) is the right theater for that.