Kean O'Hara (The Third Air) O'Carolan

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I really tried hard to get a decent version of Angeline The Baker but I basically #%ck at old time music. So after I gave up on that I recorded this fine air by O'Carolan. It is in fact the third of three airs named Kean O'Hara. I also play the 1st one, which is sometimes called O'Hara's Cup. One day I will get around to recording that one as well.

2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    That's right, you need to stick to O'Carolan tunes. Another of your cool recordings.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, what a great air this is - lovely playing as always sir!
  4. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great playing David, love the chords.
  5. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Lovely. Well done!
  6. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    20 A model with J75s and a BC TR40.
  7. Francis J
    Francis J
    I was inspired by David's wonderful version of a Carolan tune I had never heard before, so I went and learned it.
    Such a beautiful tune! ............and then encouraged by the simple charm of Dusty's version. Here it is on two mandolins.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    It is indeed a beautiful tune and what makes it even better is when other people play it. Dusty's solo version shows off the simple elegance of the tune and Francis delivers a two mandolin duet in a gentle interplay of alternate voices. Anyone else up for a try?
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wonderful variations, all. I like the blue screen (or rather blue shirt) background effect in David's video, but Francis' version has me thinking: is it mandatory to wear blue with this tune?
  10. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I like your duet Francis, well done.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's mine. I found this is unusually short for an O'Carolan piece.

12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wow I think I've only seen the mandolin come out once before this, you are giving Manfred a run for his money with your tremolo, nice playing but Francis and I were looking more for a cerulean blue for your shirt.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks David, made me look up "cerulean".
    Found out too late what the name of the tune reminds me of, too - would have made a nice tee shirt for the clip:

14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great tune, even if, as B says, shorter than the usual O'Carolan. Very fine versions, all, and enough to make me want to have a go.

For a change I wrote a harmony part rather than using chords, and recorded both melody and harmony on mandolin and octave then mixed them to taste.

15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very interesting, John: that polyphonic counter-melody suddenly brings out the baroque style that O'Carolan always aspired to.
    The pictures totally remind me of the Birks o' Aberfeldy, Perthshire, somehow (where is that bench where you can sit beside Robert Burns?)
  16. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    1920 A model and 1891 Geo Bent organ.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine rendition, Dusty! the organ sound is especially good.
    Bertram, your knowledge of our wee country is very profound. The walk up the Moness Glen in Aberfeldy does take you past the bench and statue of Robert Burns, and it was near he he reputedly composed his famous song "The Birks O' Aberfeldie".

My pictures were taken yesterday in Puck's Glen in the Cowal Peninsula, a lovely woodland walk including the gorge shown in my pictures, and just about a ten-minute drive from my home!