Week #362 ~ Swinging on a Gate

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Swinging on a Gate, which is a reel.

This tune has had a run as an Other Tune, along with Cregg's Pipes. Here's the link!

Here's a link to seven settings of this tune on thesession.org

Here's a youtube video mandolin lesson for this tune:

Here are some more videos:

2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    This is a favorite I play most days. Bertram introduced me to it.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the mention, Dusty (that's how tradition is supposed to work), and sweetly and neatly played!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm going to take this tune to band practice today! I have a book of tunes that I love, called New England Fiddler's Repertoire, and I see that I've learned it in past from that book, but I'm revisiting it! While I know it's a reel, I love also playing reels more as hornpipes, and this one sounds cool that way, too! Maybe not traditional, but fun!
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice work Dusty and Bertram. Here's mine on my Sobell octave mandolin, Forster cittern and Wheatstone concertina.

6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Dusty and David - lovely versions the pair of ye!

Really enjoyed the concertina on your version David - I've been listening a lot to concertina player Caitlín Nic Gabhann recently, great player her.
  7. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I sometimes play this followed by Junior Crehan's "The Otter's Holt." It occurred to me last night that it might also go well with Seán Ryan's "The Glen Of Aherlow." So here's a set of the three tunes, played on my Breedlove Cascade with overdubbed flute and button accordion:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  8. Richard J
    Richard J
    I love that song. My friend and I play that as the "second" piece on our medley with Kitchen Girl being the first piece.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Couldn't chose whether to do this on mandolin or tenor banjo - so I did both! Titled the mandolin version as Swinging on A Gate, and the banjo version as Swinging on The Gate, since I've seen the tune go by both titles.

10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a lovely and unusual set Bob. I play all three of them, too, but in three different sets (I know the first one as Lafferty's Reel, which is a legal alias, according to thesession.org).

Jill, that's an interesting comparison, because in spite of similar playing technique the one tune comes out with totally different characters (I'll call one of them The Honkey Tonkey Monkey ).
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I think our definitions of "honky tonk" music may differ somewhat...
  12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I've enjoyed everyone's versions but Jill's mandolin and banjo versions are really top notch. Really interesting to compare them side by side. I'm going through a banjo phase at the moment so I'm more drawn to the banjo version and I generally prefer playing the banjo for reels at session speed (and any tune in session, but that's a volume thing). I find the attack of the banjo punches out the rhythm of a reel at speed in a way I find harder on the mandolin-in my hands anyway.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers James! I find I really prefer the banjo for reels as well. I also enjoy playing triplets/trebles on the banjo a wee bit more than on the mandolin - probably because I started on it so they feel more natural.
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Dang, Jill, it's so great to hear your playing again. Really fine!
  15. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very enjoyable versions all!
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Don! I feel like I'm making up for lost ground having barely played since 2011 - now I can barely put the mandolin or banjo down! I'll think to meself "One last tune before bedtime...." and two hours later I'm still playing!
  17. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Some mighty fine mando and banjo pickin' this week along with some mighty fine squeeze boxin' and whistlin'.

Here's mine on mando, guitar and fiddle:

and Jill, keep em coming.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I couldn't get wooden fingers file to play - don't know if it's to do with my laptop or not. Just says "loading" continually - anyone else experiencing the same thing?
  19. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I can't play wooden files either. Bertram is too shy, this is one of his best performances.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze

Oh, but I can hear woodenfinger's version now. Very harmonious, cozy and comforting (i.e. I don't figure myself swinging on the gate, it's rather that I am sitting by the fireside, a tweed blanket across my knees, while the gate is creakingly swinging on its own in the snowstorm outside).
  21. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Woodenfingers' soundfile plays fine here on both of our PCs, and it also plays fine on my tablet as well as on phone. Sounds sweet, by the way! Yes a comforting version. Bertram yours is good too!
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I’m happy to be able to listen the Woodenfinger Trio. Like it.
    I like the other versions too. Everybody plays his own style. Have to practice some more time.
  23. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks for the comments Bertram, JL277Z, and Frithjof. I'll stop embedding audio files. They mess things up. I have a heck of the time trying to edit threads when I have embedded one and have trouble trying to listen to some of them too. They seem to hang my computer up at times, probably due to my lousy internet connection. I threw the audio file into a movie but had no time to make a real movie. One day I'll work out videoing myself playing. I don't have good spot for doing that just now.

24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Wow Bob, you are getting one sweet sound out of that mandolin!!!
  25. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Thanks for the complement Jill. Hopefully one day I'll get that evil fiddle to play the notes properly...
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "evil fiddle" - the fiddle is a strict mistress, small and slender but unforgiving and merciless. Don't expect to be loved, only to be tortured.
  27. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bertram, yes my fiddle is a very strict mistress. She lures me back with her siren song of wonderful lilting, haunting tones but then whines and scratches like a wet cat at midnight. You never know what you are going to get at any moment in time. She's a manic depressive schizophrenic, especially with the record button depressed...
  28. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    The first time this tune really "got to me" was in a recording by Seamus Quinn (fiddle, box) and Gary Hastings (flute) on their album "Slán le Loch Éirne", where they play it as the second tune in a set with "The Humours Of Ballyconnell". A flute-playing friend once described it to me as a "nice, easy tune". Hmmm... maybe on flute. It took me a little while to get it under my fingers on mandolin. (And - having invested that time - I've tried to capitalise on that effort to trot it out any time I'm in a session...)

Here goes with my take on the tune.

For the benefit of those who use dots/tab to help learn a tune, here is a very basic, bare-bones introduction. I'm sure you'll find ways to personalise the tune. (Mind you, I've always played this one pretty much as tabbed out here, without very much in the way of ornamentation...)

29. John W.
    John W.
    I like the tune, Aidan…and very cleanly played, as usual.
  30. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thans, John. I *do* set a lot of store by cleanliness in my playing. After all, it's next to godliness! ;-)
  31. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    It's blowing and snowing outside so I had time to record some old favorites.
  32. John W.
    John W.
    Nice solo mando playing dustyamps…which part of the world are you located in (re the snow)?
  33. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Very nice playing of a great tune, @dustyamps. I've said this before, but I do love your videos for the well-chosen collection of old photos.
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good to hear you again, David.
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing David and welcome back. Good to hear you and good to hear that you are safe and warm inside.