Randall Collins

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a more contemporary song – it's Norman Blake's Randall Collins. The first take I sang and played a guitar (tuned DADGBD). I added a mandolin next time around. Hope you'll enjoy it.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great delivery, Michael. Not a song I'd ever heard, but you present it in your usual high-quality blend of music and graphics. Thanks for sharing!
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Beautiful nice one Michael.
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Michael - very nice, well sung, well played, with a really great intro. Norman Blake is a name I don't hear very much. He's a fabulous guitar flatpicker and multi-instrumentalist who played in many high profile groups and contributed to many other projects but from my recollection never got the widespread, popular, admiration that someone like Tony Rice did.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Norman Blake is one of the three greatest flatpickers to come out of the 60s and 70s. Along with Doc, and Tony Rice, all aspiring flatpickers (myself included) had to know what he was up to. And, he plays a beautiful mandolin as well. If you've never heard him, he is well worth delving into... he's the real deal for sure!
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Love this song. I try to teach it to everyone I play with, but the progression is bit tricky the way I have it figured it out. Love the little melody hook in the chorus.

Norman's one of my favorite mandolin players and he and Nancy have written some wonderful tunes as well as songs.
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Excellent recording Michael, congrats. Norman's Original Underground Music from the Mysterious South is my favorite.
  8. UpSouth
    UpSouth
    Really nice, Michael. Thanks for posting this; Norman has been a favorite of mine for years and years. I'll have to put this one on my to-learn list.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really nice Michael, one of your best if you ask me. I used to have a slopped shoulder 12 fret like Norman used to play, boy that was a nice guitar.
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I always enjoy your music and presentation. And this is great rendition. Love your style.
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's a version from last night's fun.

12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a nice version Don. Must have been a real fun evening of music for all!
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Michael! It's a treat when the fiddle player shows up to play with us. Adds so much to the sound.