Paddy Taylor's #1 (jig)

1. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I've been taking Marla Fibish's current advanced group class and we learnt this one along with Paddy Taylor's #2 and The Humours of Ballingarry, which makes a nice set. Didn't reckon I could get through all 3 tunes without buggering one up so it's just the one. Here are the ABC's from the session.org...

X: 1
    T: Paddy Taylor's
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    F3 EFE | DFA d2 A | ded cAG | FAF GFE |
    FAF EFE | DFA def | edc ABc | dfe d2 :|
    e | f2 a g2 e | fdB AB=c | BcB EFG | A2 D FED |
    f2 a g2 e | fdB AFA | Bcd ecA | dfe d2 :||

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice sounding jig and very well played. The mandolin sounds really nice since your setup. What did you have done to it?
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks Michael! Lewis Santer over in Oakland did the work. Ended up getting it refretted, went for bigger fretwire and it is so much easier to play!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a fine jig with a strong melody line, Jill. Really well played too and a great sound from the mandolin.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers John! I'm really loving the Ajr. At first I had difficulty with the small frets and assumed the flat fretboard was also part of it, but the bigger fret wire has made it a really easy playing mandolin.
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Jill: I checked out one of Marla Fibish's cds, The Morning Star. She's the real deal and how lucky you can attend one of her classes. (I liked the album so much I purchased it...)
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Michael, you should also check out the CD her old band, "Three Mile Stone" recorded - some great sets on there. I think you can still get it from their website.
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Marla Fibish and Angelina Carberry as teachers - it's not surprising you can play a bit Jill (though no doubt you've put 1000s of hours or hard work in yourself!).
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Your Gibson sounds great, so nice to have you back.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    James: I definitely consider meself lucky to have had access to such brilliant teachers! I still feel really rusty having barely picked a mandolin up in the past 4 years, but the lessons with Marla help me feel like I'm getting back up to speed!

dustyamps: I'm so delighted with the sound of the Ajr, it was an online purchase so a bit of a crapshoot - glad the dice rolled in my favour!
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Jill, sounds great and I love the rhythmic feel you get with your playing, very nice!
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent tune Jill - the C natural in the b part gives it that extra interest.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely job!
  14. Tergal
    Tergal
    Hello, it may be too late but here is my rendition !
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another two very fine offerings, guys. Your right hand looks really relaxed in this clip, Tergal.
  16. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Tergal, it's never too late - particularly when you play like that. I'm really glad you've visited the group. Thanks for everything that you have done for the Irish tune playing mandolin community with your youtube channel. Your playing is truly inspirational and I'm sure I speak for the silent majority out there who would echo that sentiment.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What James said. Exactly what he said.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Absolutely cracking version there Tergal!
  19. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I almost missed this one.. You're an outstanding mandolinplayer Tergal..It looks and sounds very professional.
  20. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I have followed Tergal on youtube and appreciate his contributions to traditional Irish music and now here also. Thanks
  21. Tergal
    Tergal
    Thank you very much for your kind words James, Bertram, luurtie and dustyamps & Jill