Carolan's Cup

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm aware that there is a thread for O'Carolan tunes, but at some point this group seems to have begun to file each under its own thread, which has advantages for searchability. I couldn't find this one I've been working on, so here it is.

I got the notation from here: http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html

The interpretation owes much to Robin Bullock's acoustic guitar version on his "Majesty and Magic" album. I'll never play as well as he does, but I love this tune. It reminds me of listening to the CD over and over again while driving to and from the hospital after the birth of our baby son.

The mandolin is my new Fylde Touchstone Walnut model, with new John Pearse strings.

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    You are getting some great tone out of that Flyde, and that's an O'Carolan I haven't heard, I'll have to add it to the list.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely tone, like a child's musical box.
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I love ending on a four, it just begs for resolution yet still finishes nicely. Here's my take on Carolan's Cup. Once through on the mandolin and 2nd time around on the octave and concertina over some partial chords on the cittern.

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes, this kind of ending has that longing gaze at the horizon, a suggestion that the tune is supposed to never end, an ellipsis...
    A totally pleasant experience, David.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Both of you play fine versions here. Lovely tone from your Fylde, G, and also from your instruments, David. There's a special quality about O'Carolan tunes.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    David, that's just wonderful as always. You have truly made that mandolin and concertina sound your own. I could listen to it all day.

Thank you John, your words mean a lot to me. I agree that there's a special quality about O'Carolan tunes; and although the authorship of this one is apparently disputed, it has O'Carolan written all over it as far as I can tell. If it's from a different composer, I can only applaud them.
  8. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    A couple of very fine versions here. I'll have to take a try as well; I used to know this tune many years ago--I believe I first encountered it on the wonderful album "Sail Óg Rua" by Dolores Keane and John Faulkner--but hadn't played or heard it in ages, until this morning. Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a really nice version. You have quite the band going on there.