Sobre las olas

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Juventino Rosas (1869-1894): Sobre las olas (Über den Wellen / Over the Waves)
    Arranged for two mandolins & guitar by Luigi Canoro for Di Bella Music, New York

This is probably the best-known of all Mexican tunes, a Viennese waltz written by Juventino Rosas in around 1890. Rosas died tragically young at only 24 in 1894, but his tunes (and this one in particular) became popular all over the world.

This is a straightforward mandolin arrangement for dances in the Italian-American community of the 1910s/20s. Thanks to Sheri for unearthing it and posting it in her Dropbox thread. For easy reference, I've also linked it here:

Link

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks for the history of this tune, I only knew it as Over the Waves.
  3. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Martin that's very nice playing, sounds great! Hadn't heard that tune in years.

I grew up listening to my dad occasionally play that tune on harmonica and mandolin (he had one of those hands-free harmonica-holder thingies so that both hands were free to play another instrument). He liked any kind of 3/4-time tune, waltzes etc. His harmonica playing was excellent, I've never heard anyone who could play those waltzes on harmonica as sweetly as he did, but his mandolin playing was mediocre (although he was always better at tremolo than I've ever been). He learned that tune from some fiddlers in Texas in the 1930s.

Anyway, good to hear this tune again, your playing sounds really nice, thanks for posting it!