Back up Mandolin

1. MartyCanary
    MartyCanary
    Hello fellow pickers, it's been a while.
    I recently decided to aquire a second mandolin, MAS can be a powerful driver but I justified it that I needed something capable to use in situations that my Gibson would not be put at risk. Festivals, camping, travelling etc. I began by spending hours pouring over the posts here on the cafe, a daunting venture. I coupled this with cross comparing the final selection with what was out there in the market. Initially I was looking for used.
    Eventually I found an instrument, it was a new/old stock Kentucky KM-505. The mandolin was located at a shop (E.M. Shorts Guitar Shop/Wichita Band Instrument Co. at 2525 E Douglas Ave, Wichita, KS 67211). I wasn't too fond of making this purchase without first playing the mando but decided since the price was right and the forum gave glowing reviews I would go ahead and make the call. The experience was top-notch right from the start. The salesman immediately put me in touch with the shop luthier Brian Kneeland. We then discussed what I was wanting and what he planned to do for set-up. Yesterday it arrived in NH. After a first, close review I was impressed at the workmanship. This is an economy mandolin (so I thought). Beautiful finish, nice appointments and an elegant presentation (specs are available online at Saga). The set-up was perfect and as soon as I "chopped a G" I was stunned at the volume, this thing is a cannon! I ran it through it's paces and was so satisfied at how easy it is to play and how wonderful the sound is (being that it hasn't even opened up yet). So, a big thank you goes out to Brian and all the staff at the E.M. Shorts Guitar Shop. Well done.