Week #323 ~ Seanamhach Tubestation (jig)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It was a tie this week, so I just went ahead and chose one! This week's winner is Seanamhach Tubestation. I am not familiar with the tune! Also known as Pete Carberry’s, The Seanamhac Tube Station, Seanamhach Tube Station, The Seanamhach Tubestation.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

Here are some videos:

My granddaughter, Ecco is here, and she loves emoticons... so these are from her!

2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Here is my take on mandolin.
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done dustyamps!

Before we get too far along on this tune, here's John Carty version:

4. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    This is a great tune altogether. John Carty is one of the tastiest banjo players I've had the good fortune to hear and this tune fits GDAE instruments like a glove. That said, it's a strange key/mode. Strange to me, in any event... I *think* it's G Dorian. But my knowledge of musical theory beyond the bog-standard keys/modes encountered in 99% of Irish music is very lacking indeed.

I've set out tab and dots to the tune which can be found at the link which follows. However, further to a comment from Christian yesterday, I feel obliged to point out that those dots and tab may not correspond to how I play the tune. Dots and tab can do nothing more than capture a snapshot of the bare bones of a tune - they provide a gateway. As players become familiar with the tune, they're able to kick the dots and tab into the bushes and start to play the tune, not the notes. To play *with* the tune. So, if you're going to learn the tune from the dots and tab that I've set out, try to think of these as a mere starting point and once you've got underneath the tune, roll the dots up into a tight ball and chuck them in the bin.

Dots and tab for a "starter for ten" here https://crosseyirishmandolin.files.w...or-new-tab.pdf

My take on the tune, played on my Eastwood Tenorcaster electric tenor guitar
  5. John W.
    John W.
    I like the tune, Aiden, which I wasn’t familiar with. I also enjoyed listening to it being played on your electric tenor guitar…which has a really ‘bassy’ tone/sound.
  6. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    It divides the room a little, John. At some sessions locally, there are tuts and grimaces if someone starts this tune. I put it down to envy, myself. John Carty started off in the London session scene before becoming a name, on his own behalf and then as one of the main protagonists in "At The Racket". (Not to mention his numerous collaborations.). This is one of the highlights of his album, "Yeh, That's All It Is".
  7. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    @John (W). I meant to mention. The "bassy" tone/sound is not necessarily down to the Eastwood Tenorcaster itself. With electric instruments, there is a lot of flexibility to alter the sound by using pick up selection, tone and volume controls from the guitar itself and then a myriad of effects are available, either as physical amps and pedals or in amp simulators, to play with the sound. I like to focus on reasonably clean and bassy tones for these tunes to contrast with the higher range of the mandolin...
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine, Aidan. Is it played in the middle position with both pickups on?
  9. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    @Christian... yep, I prefer that sound for this sort of music.