Week #312 ~ John Henry

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner by one vote, is John Henry, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. Here's what I've found.. if you can add more, please do! I don't know if the things that I've found called John Henry, are the right ones!

Here's notation from abcnotation.com

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    When I get these two breaks down perfect I'll be back.
  3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I found this little ditty too.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's one of my favorite versions...

5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Thought there would be more of a response to such a well known song. Here it is three times through.
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    This week's song was kind of heaven sent to me. Currently I'm trying to get the hang of double C tuning on clawhammer banjo and I found a nice arrangement of John Henry in a clawhammer book. With all the banjo toil, there wasn't much time left to work out a fancy mando break, so I just played the plain melody. My claw-abilities are not yet to the point, where I could speed the song up to maudlin's tempo (nice playing), so I played it real old timey, at a moderate pace.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    With the banjo chores done, today I found the time to sit down and at least create some embellishments to the plain melody on the mandolin.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey, that sounds fantastic, CC. I love your clawhammer banjo, and the mandolin break is great.
    And a really nice one from you too Maudlin.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Marcelyn, though I love John Hardy better than John Henry, this week's song was real fun to me.
  10. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done maudlin and criscross, you did good
    i wanted to have a go at this but have been swamped with study
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done everyone! Here's a version of John Henry played on a finger picked guitar, mandolin and bass with a vocal. I got the idea (and the lyrics) from Doc Watson.

12. crisscross
    crisscross
    WOW!Sounds great Michael!
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Doesn't get much better than that. Really nice!
  14. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Michael - wow - the guitar work was awesome as was all the rest. Fantastic.