Nancy´s Waltz

1. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    A couple of weeks ago I recorded Chris Romaine's "Nancy's Waltz". It's not a Christmas tune, but it could have been one.
    sheet music can be found at http://www.spillefolk.dk/nodesamling...p?key=va-nancy

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Beautiful!!
  3. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Wow, fantastic!!
  4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks for the compliments! Technically it's not a difficult tune, but you have to be in the mood for such tunes to play it right. There's a complete different Jazzy mandolinversion on the cd "Gather Round" from Joe Herrmann which I like a lot. You should check it out!
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    The version I played is in F. I made the audiotrack on the guitar with a capo on the 3th fret.
    Here are the chords I used.
    Part A (2x) D D G D D D C G D D G D C C G D
    Part B (2x) G D C G G D C A7 D D G D C C G D
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a really lovely tune, Hendrik. I love the whistle brought in to your arrangement - it suits the tune so well! Off now to download the music, and thanks for the link to this.

Where are the pictures from? Looks like so much of Scotland or maybe the West of Ireland?
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Hey Hendrik, I've like this one for years and years. The tune is one of those that really grabbed me the first time I heard it. You do a marvelous job with it. Really beautiful playing.
  8. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I had not heard this tune until Hendrik posted it here and I was really taken with it and with Hendrik's incredible rendition of it - love the whistle. The tune uses a mixolydian mode. This mode is said to be angelical, uniting pleasure and sadness, and this undoubtedly contributes to the overall feel of the tune. For my version I started with the second setting of the tune from TheSession.org which is scored in the key of D and hence the tune is in A mixolydian. I put the octave mandolin as a central feature for its sustain and then did some octave mandolin harmony, mandolin in the background for an added ringing, and guitar capoed on the 2nd fret for bass and fill. It was quite fun to play.

9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    So different and so beautiful Bob. I don't know what you mean with all those technolian terms, but I like the way you used the octave mandolin to get more sustain and mixed it with your other instruments. It suits the tune very well!
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hendrik, thanks. You can blame the techno-speak on Marcy. She posted a thread about the different modes some time ago (but I can't find that thread anymore). I often wonder why tunes sound the way they do and certainly the mode is part of it.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Cracking version, Bob. Great arrangement and fine playing.
    Hendrik, I love your "technolian" word to cover the modal aspects. In Scotland our pipe tunes are largely dorian or mixolydian, but we do not bother too much with knowing the labels - just the tunes.
  12. DonaldKx
    DonaldKx
    I think Nancy's Waltz sounds better swung, rather than played straight (as scored). The second recording, based on my transcription of Rachel Baiman's take on the tune, would be better played c#-c#-a-f#-e-c# from the high C# rather than c#-c#-a-g-e-c#.
    Great tune, anyway.
  13. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hi DonaldKx, Welcome to the SAW group. You've got a sharp ear there!! Caught me playing a G instead of the F#. I guess I spaced out playing up the neck since the score clearly had an F# - and the F# is even easier to play... After your note, I checked out Rachel's take on the tune on youtube here and yes I like the swing too. But, hey, I like it straight up as well. Thanks.
  14. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    duplicate