Contra dance question

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Do any of ya'll play for barn dances or contra dances? Our band has a tentative contra dance gig, and I'd like to get a feel for what they'd expect! I've been to exactly one contra dance in my lifetime, and while I went to get a feel for the music played, the people there wouldn't take no for an answer when they asked me to join them... and then all bets were off.. I was concentrating on the dancing after that, haha!

How long do you play each 'dance'? In researching it, it looks like about 10 minutes per dance, which would most likely be accomplished by a medley of how many tunes?

What is the generally desired speed of the various types of tunes?

Thanks!
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I know that at least two Cafe members play in contra dance bands: harper and John Goodin. You could PM either of them. Harper is a semi-regular here on the SAW group, too.

Martin
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Most of the tunes are 4/4 time. We play a mix of whiskey before breakfast, st. Anne's reel, liberty, golden slippers... Irish polkas work well - Dennis Murphy's, john Ryan's, 4 pound check... Liza Jane, lil Liza Jane, big Liza Jane, Johnny cope... Check out the Portland Collection I and II...
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    We play the right tunes... we just don't usually play them for more than 3-5 minutes at a time!
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Do you have a caller Barbara? I've no experience of contra dance but I play in a Ceilidh band which I suspect is very similar. We play for as long as our caller tells us - he dictates everything: you've got to be a very good musician to concentrate on your playing and keep an eye on where the dancers are up to. We usually have a medley of 3 tunes, each tune played twice and then we go back to the first tune often for just once through to finish though it depends on the dance. For Scottish dancing 10 minutes sounds rather long and exhausting, I think most dances would last between 6 and 8 minutes.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    The length of the dance is determined by the caller but could be between 6-10 minutes. For Celtic and New England bands 2 to 3 tunes per dance is standard, I've heard old time bands play one tune for the whole dance. Variation is the key then. Jigs & reels range from 114 bpm to 120 bpm but the caller will either speed you up or slow you down depending on the dance and experience level of the dancers.
  7. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I've played many, many dances. As long as the tune is square, you're good. We've had some that have pushed the fifteen minute mark for duration...which is a workout, let me tell you. They are the absolutely the most fun I've had as a musician. Some callers can be a little...picky. They often make random requests like...play something "lofty". Whatever that is. I've never been to one I didn't love. We would do medleys for variety--you just have to make sure everyone is on the same page with the change. Sometimes you can get a little hypnotized and the first phrase of that next tune just won't come to you. Here's a sample of us up at a local dance that's pretty well attended. Keep it 118-120 bpm unless the caller says otherwise or your dancers start to tire on you.
  8. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Geez. I don't think I can tap my foot that long.
    Have fun Barbara.
  9. CharlieKnuth
    CharlieKnuth
    David Hansen's and Steve Cantrell's comments on the speed are right on and Eddie Sheehy's suggestion of looking at the Portland Collections I & II is where you will find a wealth of tunes that are normally played at contras. Each half of the contra usually ends up with a waltz, so have two waltzes picked out to play for the evening. If you have a hambo ready that will be handy. The hambo is usually played sometime during the break. Yes, make sure that your tunes are played 16 bars in the A part (usually 8 bars repeated) and 16 bars in the B part. Steady rhythm is most important. The medleys are usually 2 - 3 tunes for each dance. It is a blast to play and watch dancers move to your playing. Great energy goes back and forth between musicians and dancers and it is one of the great experiences of playing music. Have fun.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've got a question... I'm looking through one of my tunes books (New England Fiddler's Repertoir)... just to get the tempo suggestion straight... when you say 120 (ish) you mean at 4/4/ time (like, if I set my metronome to 120, with a click at every beat... there should be 4 clicks to the measure, or two clicks to the measure? It seems too slow at 4 beats per measure, and too fast at 2!
  11. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Unfortunately that is 2 beats per measure or 240 BPM. Most folk count dance tunes tempo as 2/4 time even if it is written as 4/4 because at these tempos you would tap your foot twice a measure. It does seem insanely fast if you sit down and play it at home at this speed but the dancers amble round fairly leisurely to it, though 120 would usually mean the dancers know what they are doing. Judicious cutting of notes from the melody may be required to keep in time with the rhythm! After all when it comes to playing for dancing the rhythm is more important than the melody.
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep, it's all about the Rhythm. The dancers won't notice or care if you drop notes so you keep the beat constant. Do NOT play 3-part tunes, that C part will throw the dance off. Sometimes the bands will play Ragtime Annie but drop the C part (where it goes to G)...

13. Eddie Sheehy
    Getting the number of tunes and number of repetitions right is hard since it's up to the caller to end the dance. I've often had to repeat the set over because we didn't repeat the first two tunes enough and the third tune dragged on too long... the dancers need the change to get a 'lift'...

Even your waltz set will require at least 3 tunes...

We use:
    The Westphalia
    The South Wind
    Si Beag Si Mor
    Ashokan Farewell