Mingulay Boat Song

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yet another version of this popular sea shanty from 1938.
    Mingulay is one of the smaller outer Hebrides, south of Barra, Vatersay and Sandray.
    The "Minch" mentioned in the song is the strait separating inner/outer Hebrides.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds downright incredible! You two hit just the right feel for this song. Your harmony is gorgeous, and tell Regina I love the harmonica parts.
  3. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    This is excellent. I have the hardest time with vocal harmonies (I'm somewhat deaf in my left ear from some nerve damage), so I find this particularly impressive.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Marcy and Steve. Encouraging words. Regards from Regina.
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Wow, you all did a good job there Bertram.. the harmonies are incredible especially the last part! When is the cd coming out?
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A Scot is impressed by your rendering of one of our great songs, Bertram. Fine harmonies and I really liked the arpeggiated backing you've used here. Are you sure there is not Henze tartan lurking somewhere?
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Hendrik, recording the "choir" was indeed one of the fun parts. There are not enough tracks by far yet for a new CD, though; in the meantime, you can always download from here.

Thank you John. It is funny you should mention tartan - Regina used to have a favourite tartan pattern she used to know from her schoolgirl time, and we only recently found out it's the one of the McLeods of Skye (in fact, you can buy shawls, skirts and other items with the exact colours at Dunvegan castle).

Apart from that, this song is one of the expressions of my heart disagreeing with my passport, as usual.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was really well done Bertram and Regina, excellent vocals and accompaniment and very Scottish sounding.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful arrangement, Bertram, from the vocal harmonies to the backup and that tiny harmonica which plays such a big part in this song. Well done.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thank you David and Michael.
    Maybe this is the time when I should admit that the lyrics of the 3rd verse are totally made up. In the original, there is something about "bairns a-crying" and I wanted something less melodramatic...
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional Scottish slow air, taken from the Gaelic epic "̉ran na Comhachaig" (a melody called "Craig Ghuanach"). The tune was used in the 1930s by Hugh S. Roberton for the famous "Mingulay Boat Song", and is now usually associated with his lyrics.

My recording is instrumental, using an arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni which in turn is based on harmonies by J.H. Murray published c.1900 (i.e. predating the Mingulay lyrics). Evelyn has kindly posted the notation free on Mandolin Cafe:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/142518

My recording in on two mandolins, mandocello and tenor guitar.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin