Week #270 ~ MacArthur's Road

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry for the delay in posting! This week's winner is MacArthur's Road, which was submitted as a reel. The Session says that it's also known as Bóthar Mhic Artair, Easy Club Reel #2, MacArthur’s Road, Mc Arthur’s Road, McArthur Road, McArthur’s Road, Old But Happy At 63, Sean Smith’s, Why Would You Call It That?.

Here is the link to the tune on thesession. There are five settings for the tune on that site... in E, D and Amix.

Here's a link to the tune on folktunefinder, in D.

Here's a youtube video of it on a fiddle

2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This is from The Session in E and by Dave Richardson
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    We play that in a contra Dance set with The Silver Spear (D), and The Mason's Apron (A). It's the only Irish Reel I know in the key of E.
    Time to blow off the dust and see if these creaking old fingers can crank it out.
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    once through in D

5. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well played Maudlin and Gortn, you both have the triplets working well. This is a cool tune and i will probably keep working on some variations..
    I learned it in E first and then tried it as an excersie in other keys. here it is in E:
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very nice Gortnomona and Jonny. To me this tune seems to have a different flavour when played in D.
  7. alonso
    alonso
    didn't see this posted with the inspirations but these guys got me into gear (hmm, not sure what I'm doing wrong, here's the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFkamRy4y0)

finally I managed to learn a song and record it within a week (but sadly didn't manage to post it, what's the etiquette on posting on past weeks?)

I'm still pretty new to mandolin, but have enjoyed following along with the weekly songs, it's helpful to have a deadline and a goal, so thanks for keeping this group alive.

One of my distractions joins me in the video
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice lively tempo. Welcome to the SAW group.
  9. jonny250
    jonny250
    well done alonso, welcome to the SAW group!