John Anderson

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have known this Robert Burns song for quite a few years, but only recently realized he wrote about me
    The pictures are from the Great Glen and the Laggan dam.

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Everything about this recording is so powerful, you two--the singing, the harmony, and the instrumentation. It all builds to such a wonderful conclusion. I absolutely love it.
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's the real deal right there. It sent shivers down my spine it was so beautiful. Thanks!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for the kind words Marcy and Michael. Regards from Regina. We do feel flattered

P.S. I just noticed that compression for youtube had reduced everything to mono - I have replaced it now, feel free to get the whole spatial experience. I feel even more flattered now, after your judgement was based on that bakelite radio sound.
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Perfect in every way. I love the way it all builds up. It's particularly beautiful when the mandolin comes in.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Fantastic stuff, especially in the new upload. You are both not just great instrumentalists, but very good singers too!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, that is better--especially the sound of the flute and the singing. Thanks for the update.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bertram, you make me proud to be Scottish, my man! Great rendering from both of you and beautifully balanced recording. As Michael says, the shivers are certainly ascending the lower lumber regions.
  9. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Hard to believe. But, it is even more beautiful after the reset.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Exceptional, beautiful and inspiring. Thank you Bertram and Regina.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Many Thanks James, Dennis, Marcy, John, Gary and David - I'm glad it came to a good end after all.
    You're making me doubt the authenticity of my passport, John (but what is paper to a song).

Regards again from Regina - she can't believe you're all liking it. She is the worst critic I know.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just recorded my own instrumental version of this Robert Burns song, and searching through the "Other Tunes" list I have only now found Bertram and Regina's spectacular production, which I missed at the time -- that's a great listen!

Mine is a bit more stripped down, based on an arrangement by Klaus Stezenbach (yet another German to go with Bertram, Regina and me...):

http://www.kstez.de/John_Anderson__M...rns__Scot_.pdf

I've recorded it as a duet of nylon-strung mandolin and tenor guitar, bouncing the tune between them:

"Baroq-ulele" nylgut-strung mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good rendition Martin! And that's one nice collection of pictures fitting the theme.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That nylon-strung instrument has a great tone for this tune, Martin, and the arrangement is really good.

Interesting to compare the tune with the song, and to hear how the tune holds up so well without the power of Burns' lyrics. I always think that "John Anderson" is perhaps Burns' finest love song, portraying as it does the longevity of the love being celebrated- even better than his "My Love is Like A Red, Red Rose".
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John/Bertram.

Bertram: It's not really surprising that the pictures fit the theme -- they were painted to go with this song. The song so much appealed to late-Victorian sensibility and sentimentality that there are at least eight paintings that I could find with the actual title "John Anderson, My Jo", plus various illustrations to go with published editions of the poem or song. Not all of them are in the video, only the ones available in large enough resolution, but it explains the profusion of contented elderly Scots couples in paint...

Martin
  16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bertram/Regina - as the others have said, that was just wonderful!! Great vocals and instrumentation. I must have missed this the first time around also as I surely would have commented on it at the time. My father and brother were both named John Anderson so now I have to learn this and make a recording in their memory.

Martin - also very well played. As John commented, the nylon strung instruments really have a nice tone to them. Thanks for bringing this around again and sharing the notation.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Bob, looking forward to your version
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I can't believe my previous recording of this Robert Burns song is already more than five years old! Here is a new "live" version of that tune. Same setting and same instrumentation as previously, but somewhat different backing style.

This is a chance to share a video of my "Baroq-ulele". It's a small four-string nylon-strung bowlback instrument, styled after a baroque-era soprano lute (or mandora). It was sold with soprano ukulele tuning, but I have set it up in mandolin/violin tuning in fifths (GDAE), which I think suits it much better. So, it's probably best described as a nylgut-strung mandolin. Whatever one calls it, it's a fun instrument to play, and a distinctly different voice from either a mandolin or a ukulele.

"Baroq-ulele" bowlback mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sounds more medieval than baroque, Martin, like something Alan A. Dale would play in the halls of King Richard or in the woods with Robin Hood.
    Very good harmonies.
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram. It's a lovely little instrument for the times when a more lute-like tone is required. Not sure this Burns tune or my arrangement is particularly medieval, but I've just recorded a Tudor madrigal on it which fits that bill better. Posted in the Classical/Baroque/Early Music forum here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...42#post1800442

At the end of the video, I'm holding the instrument up to the camera for a closer look.

Martin