COLUMBUS STOCKADE BLUES by the Saw Mt. String Band

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's the latest effort of the Saw Mountain String Band. It's the Columbus Stockade Blues. Jeff played upright bass and Marcy sang harmony and played fiddle. I sang lead, played 2 guitars, and a mandolin (but not at the same time!) As always we exchanged the basic tracks via the internet. I'm from California and Marcy and Jeff live in Tennessee.

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    This is now my favourite of all the tunes you have done. Everything works so well. Thumping bass, resonator guitar sounds fantastic, fiddle playing is just spot on and a great mandolin break. Then there's Marcy's harmony vocals to weep over.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Michael, Jeff and Marcy, yet another absolute cracker! You consistently produce such fine songs and always get a great mix and balance. Saw Mountain String Band definitely rules!
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Oh, wow. Another great one!! Very smooth, great harmony, bluesy guitars, fiddle to die for. Wonderful choice and timing of pictures too.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much, you all. What a fun song this was to work on. And a really great video, Michael.
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    You guys are amazing, Marcy, Jeff and Michael. It's hard not to get jealous at so much talent.
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice version Michael, Marcy and Jeff. This is such a fun tune... We've played this song for years with our band Close to Home, I found an old completely different version the way in we play it.... yes, it's me on the mandolin

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Michael - I am still waiting for that CD to come out so I can get some quality music for those long-haul drives in my car.

Hendrik's version is also interesting, showing actual walls and a cupboard! (...it has always been my impression that Dutch houses consist entirely of very large windows, making me wonder about storage space)
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a great version of that song, Hendrik. I really like your band's sound.
  10. justkaron
    justkaron
    Two FINE versions of this great song!
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Hendrik. That is a more traditional way to play this tune. We modeled our version on Doc Watson's playing and singing.

Bertram, are there really long-haul drives over there? Or do you just drive back and forth a bunch of times in order to simulate the distance from say, New York to Los Angeles, which is truly a long ways...
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Haha, Michael, I define long-haul as the distance driven at a time without stopping for food, gas or restrooms; and such are possible, e.g. from Düsseldorf to Dresden (6 hrs feeling like 10 because driving is less relaxed here than in the US). Long enough to die from boredom and stress, without a SAW Mountain String Band CD...