Mandofest - a comparison of 4 mandolins made by Ian Chisholm

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    A comparison of four mandolins made by Ian Chisholm - recorded on 12th December 2013 at Ian's house. Ian (red shirt) and I (blue shirt) both played each mandolin. Mandolin 'A' is an arched back and sides instrument with f holes, made in 2013. Mandolin 'B' - which is mine - has a flat back and sides, and is based on an early Gibson owned by Ian. The mandolin was made in 2009 from offcuts of wood used to make my tenor guitar. Note how the pale spruce top has darkened to match the walnut sides after 4 years. Mandolin 'C' has a flat back and sides and was made for American musician Doc Rossi earlier this year. Mandolin 'D' - owned by Ian - is an archtop with an oval soundhole, rather than f holes.

We both thought that Mandolin 'C' - Doc's - was the best. I should point out that all except mine had new strings on... I tested each one by playing the "Westphalia Waltz" and Ian played a couple of tunes, of which one is called the "Savage Hornpipe". And we had a pleasant afternoon!

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Two things I found intriguing:
    - the asymmetric shape of these instruments with a good balance between body and headstock
    - Ian's habit of pivoting away his fingers when playing open strings

I found the difference between the mandolins small compared to the difference between players - a nice demonstration for the powers of right hand technique and pick choice, putting many of our discussions about sound in perspective.
  3. WillFly
    WillFly
    Yes, my pick technique is pretty abnormal compared with Ian's! I never noticed that he pivots his fingers away before - we're always sideways on when we play in the band.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fascinating comparison tests, Will. As Bertram says, the techniques of the two of you are so different. Ian's picking is so different and he seems to use the thumb and finger in a different way - hard to explain but I know what I mean; the thumb joint seems to do a great deal of the work on the faster phrases.
    Hard to decide on which one is "best" as each has its own sound and the choice of the two different types of tunes also influences the listener.
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really beautiful mandolins - I love a bit of asymmetry. It's always difficult to judge these things recorded rather than in the flesh. I take it these are all flat tops? Are they essentially flat backed as well? What I mean is not carved, which if you were going to the trouble of carving you would usually put it on the soundboard. I'm interested in what the difference between f holes and round holes on a flat top is. All the flat tops I encounter round these parts are round holes aimed squarely at the celtic market. I know what effect an arched top does to change the sound on a round hole and I know what an arched top f hole bluegrass instrument is and its chopping ability. I haven't got any personal experience to know what the difference between a round hole and f hole on a flat top is but I suspect it is less significant than on an arched top. Is that your experience?